Author Topic: Jaylen Brown vs Josh Jackson/Jason Tatum/Jonathan Isaac  (Read 8794 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown vs Josh Jackson/Jason Tatum/Jonathan Isaac
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 10:59:25 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Josh Jackson seems like a very similar prospect based on HS info. Maybe Jaylen was a tad more highly touted. Jaylen's freshman season at Cal was widely viewed as disappointing, so if Jackson has a freshman season more on par with expectations, then he'll probably be a more highly rated prospect. Jason Tatum looks like Jabari Parker 2.0-- it's possible he'll be highly rated but not likely that he'll actually be good.

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 01:01:23 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Looking at this draft class, it seems to be heavy with combo guards, PFs, and SFs.

I know the whole BPA argument, and this is stupidly early but what position will Danny target if he keeps the pick?

Great question.  Do you take best player available no matter what?

I think Jackson or Tatum could fill the SG/SF role that maybe Gerald Green currently fills. So drafting a SF one year after drafting Jaylen Brown (who can play the 4 in a small lineup) isnt necessarily a bad thing.

Fultz would be great, but you already have IT, Bradley, and Smart. he can play SG and Smart can play SF in a small ball lineup so I think it could work.

Now Dennis Smith is a true point, I find it hard to believe they would draft a true pg.

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 01:32:39 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
While I think they were both top 3 or 4 prospects coming into their respective seasons, Jackson is considered a much higher prospect than Brown. 6'8 playmaker that is great on D and a real competitor. Now I will say this since I havent seen him as much as Tatum, the knocks on Jackson you have to take serious. His shot is a mess. But the bigger knock is his age. He is already 20. The question becomes is he beating up on kids that are much younger than him?

I like Jackson from what I have seen but those questions need to be answered.

Now having seen a fair amount of Tatum over the past 2 years you can see his shot creation translating to the pros well. He knows how to create his mid range shot. The question with him is when faced with better athletes how will he perform? He had some issues in the post season tourneys when facing Jackson and others. Also, is a playmaker?

Now with all that said I think I take Tatum right now. Long term I can see him playing next to Brown although I need to see what he does with better teammates this year.

Alot of questions. Good thing the draft isnt next week.

Josh Jackson seems like a very similar prospect based on HS info. Maybe Jaylen was a tad more highly touted. Jaylen's freshman season at Cal was widely viewed as disappointing, so if Jackson has a freshman season more on par with expectations, then he'll probably be a more highly rated prospect. Jason Tatum looks like Jabari Parker 2.0-- it's possible he'll be highly rated but not likely that he'll actually be good.

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 01:51:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Looking at this draft class, it seems to be heavy with combo guards, PFs, and SFs.

I know the whole BPA argument, and this is stupidly early but what position will Danny target if he keeps the pick?

Stevens very much likes playing lineups with two such players, and if he had the personnel, I could see him using three at once.

So while I'm not completely averse to having an argument about the efficacy of picking consecutive top draft picks who play the same position, in this particular case it is not a problem.

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 01:52:34 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
There are a lot of guys to like, but I have a feeling Dennis Smith is going to be the guy that emerges by seasons end. Its interesting that noone is talking about him that much anymore.

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 02:08:48 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
I know alot has changed since the summer before last years college class. Yet that draft was viewed as a 2 person draft. Simmons at the top and Jaylen as the 2nd.  There was the enigma Bender, and alot of people predicted Ingram could jump up (which as Dukes year progressed he swapped with Jaylen.)

Lets not pretend Jaylen wasnt a top 2 talent before he took his slashing self to a school that had less than no spacing. Are we really going to chalk it up to coincidence that he looks more like the prospect he looked like in high school now that he is in an offense with actual shooting? Id say going into their respective college seasons Jaylen has a slight edge over Jackson/tatum/isaacs. Luckily for us he didnt have a great college year.

That all said, I say we go BPA. This draft is kind of cool because there are alot of high end prospects. Fultz/Smith/Jackson/Tatum/Giles/Niki/Isaacs/Bolden/Allen/Rabb would all be good high potential players to add to our team. It wouldnt shock me to see the rankings end up shuffled based on how they fit their teams.

Now obviously getting the top pick is always best, but for 2017 getting the 4-6th pick worst case scenario isnt as bad as it would have been last year.

Edit: My brain completely spaced on lab. So it was Simmons and Lab, with Brown the consensus 3rd. Credit to chill for the correction.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:04:08 AM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 08:59:14 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Simmons and labissierre were the consensus top two picks coming into the season, not Simmons and Brown.  Just goes to show how much things can change.

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 09:30:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we need to draft a big who can rebound more than another SF.  I know you take BPA but we need a solid big who is athletic and can board.

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 10:02:47 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
I think we need to draft a big who can rebound more than another SF.  I know you take BPA but we need a solid big who is athletic and can board.

Unfortunately this draft isnt heavy in those qualities.

At the top its literally only "old knees" Giles. In that 8-12 range there are a couple names. Bolden, Rabb and Allen all seem pretty good. Granted its all going to change as the season goes along, but people will lose their mind if we are picking in that range.

I like Rabb alot. Great rebounder, great hands, big enough to take advantage inside. Great basketball player. Wont wow you with athleticism, but he is big and long for a pf, and he shot like 62% from 2pt range. Can score in the post and the pnr. Pretty mobile for his size, projects to be able to adequately guard the perimeter.
#JKJB

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2016, 10:59:57 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Perhaps.  The question is whether any rebounding big in the draft who is available with the Nets pick will be better than Zizic or Yabu.  If not, take BPA.

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2016, 11:28:27 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Simmons and labissierre were the consensus top two picks coming into the season, not Simmons and Brown.  Just goes to show how much things can change.

Jaylen Brown was a top 4 player and given the same grade as those guys, per ESPN's hs rankings.

Your point stands, however. There will definitely be guys that standout this year and make the jump, a la Buddy Hield.