Author Topic: Best Case Scenario for 2019-2020 Season  (Read 3723 times)

Re: Best Case Scenario for 2019-2020 Season
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 11:31:45 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
ESPN just put out tiers:

Clips
Lakers
Bucks

Houston
Philly

GSW
Utah

That's it.

To me, Warriors and Raptors take a steep fall (loss of Klay/Durant and Kawhi stings badly). I don't buy Curry, D'Lo and Draymond Green leading the team alone. They'll be like Warriors 2012-2013 at best.

Bucks lost Brogdon, I'd say they are in Tier 2. Philadelphia should be in Tier 1 with Clippers and Lakers. That's one nasty defensive team the 76ers have. The days of dominating them are over for Boston because they are the team to beat in the East.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 03:19:00 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Whenever the Lakers ever have a half decent roster they're on tier 1 lol, can't wait for them to miss the playoffs this season.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 04:00:26 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Best case scenario would be the Celtics being NBA Champions and the only meaningful stat would be winning 16 playoff games. Everything else really doesn't matter.
I want you to imagine the current team doing that. I'm asking how you think that team you are imagining plays.
Okay so now for the serious answer but let me explain my first answer. In today's NBA environment with the Warrior dynasty seemingly over, any team with great talent, great coaching, talent that can develop and evolve into something even better and a rookie or two that could surprise everyone, has an outside chance this year. The NBA is wide open. So though the chances are extremely low, there is one best case scenario where the Celtics win it all. They might go 16-12 in the playoffs doing it but who cares?

Realistically what is their best case scenario? Kemba fitting in as well as Kyrie did his first 60 games here. Hayward returning to Utah Hayward. Tatum and Brown playing at an All-Star worthy level, even if not voted as such. Kanter being a double double machine and surprises with some very mediocre defense. Smart being Smart. Timelord becomes a rotational worthy player that gives the team a rim protector. A rookie plays at a possible top 5 Rookie of the Year candidate level. Team wins 50+ games in the regular season, is a top 3 in the East team and makes the ECF. That I think is this team's best case scenario.

I see this team more as a 45-49 win team that will struggle to be the defensive team Stevens expects out of his teams. I think the team will be very weak defending opposing team's quality bigs and that will cost a lot of wins. I think the lack of experienced NBA depth will show it's ugly head during the inevitable stretch of having a couple starters out at the same time for games at a time. I am not sure this team gets out of the 1st round of the playoffs but probably should get to play in the second round. I think you can pencil in Philly v Milwaukee for the ECFs barring injuries to Embiid or Giannis.

I like the championship scenario better.

C's put together a great regular season where the sum is greater than the parts, kinda like the '15 Hawks (0 superstars, 4 All-Stars, 60 wins) or '13 Nuggets (0 Superstars/All-Stars, 57 wins), or even last years Clippers (0 Superstars/All-Stars, 55 win pace after trading away Tobias). while Philly and Milwaukee have a couple of minor injuries and new fit issues that slow them down a little (plus everybody's gunning for them all year while the C's fly under the radar at first).

Kemba Walker continues in the recent Boston tradition of having their starting PG be All-NBA 2nd team (Isaiah in '17, Kyrie in '19, and maybe in '18 too if he wasn't injured).  Gordan is back to Utah form, and Tatum and Brown took the step we were all hoping they'd take last year.

Boston finishes with 58 wins, Milwaukee and Philly 57 each.

Boston sweeps Brooklyn in the 1st round, beats the Pacers in 6 in round 2 while PHI/MIL beat up on each other in an epic 7 game series.  Bucks pull it out, and the ECF goes down just like the Celtics/Sixers 2nd round match up in '18 where all the analysts/media are predicting Bucks in 4-5 but the C's take it in 5 as they finally figure out how to stop Middleton (while Giannis still does his thing, but rumor is he was playing on a pulled hamstring).

Out West teams with the mega stars (LAL/LAC/HOU/GS) don't actually make it to the Finals as POR/DEN/UTA actually displace them (no offense meant for Lillard or Jokic).  C's beat whoever in 6.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 06:44:57 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I don't get the Jazz are better than us love.

I like Conley Mitchell and Gorb but that team doesn't scare me especially in a 7 game series.

What am I missing about the Jazz that everyone thinks we are a tier below them?
ok fine

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 08:16:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Best case scenario = Jaylen and Tatum both have breakout seasons & become the two best players on the team. Hayward has a strong recovery season. Celtics become a legit title contender.

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 08:53:28 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Best case scenario = Jaylen and Tatum both have breakout seasons & become the two best players on the team. Hayward has a strong recovery season. Celtics become a legit title contender.

Yes. I think the broad outcome “best scenario” is obvious.  But in terms of realistic individual hopes, I agree with Who and might add that Kanter would be better than advertised on D, and that both Williamses are, by mid-year, effective 15mpg rotation bigs.

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 10:08:23 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Kemba does what Kyrie wouldn't. Plays with pace and movement, and drops his scoring to around 21 PPG and ups his assists to 8+. The team successfully figures out how to spread the minutes of the 3 wings out, and they get 54+ PPG out of them.

Grant Williams becomes a quality rotation player, and Theis plays pretty well too.

The big men turn out to be reasonably competent, particularly on defense. One of them breaks out a bit.

We win 54 games.

-----

I expect a problem with Smart. I think he tries to over-assert himself. If the C's end up liking Langford and Edwards, I bet they part ways with him this year.

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 10:11:46 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Hayward becomes Utah Hayward
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 11:58:50 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
My best case scenario is that we out-chemistry nearly all of our opponents, which I believe we will.

There is ALREADY a different vibe with this group. I love Enes' swag, as well.

There is also no clear-cut favorite this year - GSW is broken up.

If BOS plays together and FOR each other and they will shock the NBA.

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 01:11:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Hayward becomes Utah Hayward

been waiting two. seasons and millions dollars twiddling my thumbs ......waiting ....and waiting ....

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2019, 01:36:53 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Poirier plays like Steven Adams, Kanter comes off the bench and provides offense and rebounds.  Tatum is in the MVP conversation and the Celtics play at a pace that we haven’t seen before.

I predict Clippers over Celtics in 6, but as this is best case scenario then I will say Kawhi hurts his hamstring and the Celtics win in 7.  Gordon Hayward wins finals MVP after averaging 16 points/ 7 rebounds/ 6 assists and hits the game winning 3 in game 1 and game 7.

To make it even better Tacko plays 5 minutes per game in the finals!!!
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2019, 01:45:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
ESPN just put out tiers:

Clips
Lakers
Bucks

Houston
Philly

GSW
Utah

That's it.

I don’t really understand the Utah love affair.  They’ll be good, but contenders?  People really think Conley is all that team needed?  I don’t see it.
They added Bogdanovic also.  They won 50 games and a playoff series last year.  They are pretty young and Conly and Bogdanovic are an upgrade from Rubio and Favors.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2019, 01:47:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The best case scenario is always a championship, though taking it to mean fairly realistic best case scenario, I'd say 55 wins and the ECF (if somehow the Bucks and Sixers end up on the same side and opposite the C's).  I just don't see a way the C's beat a healthy Bucks or a healthy Sixers and there is no way I'm projecting a best case scenario where I'm anticipating or calling for injuries.  That is just bad juju.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2019, 01:58:35 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The best case scenario is always a championship, though taking it to mean fairly realistic best case scenario, I'd say 55 wins and the ECF (if somehow the Bucks and Sixers end up on the same side and opposite the C's).  I just don't see a way the C's beat a healthy Bucks or a healthy Sixers and there is no way I'm projecting a best case scenario where I'm anticipating or calling for injuries.  That is just bad juju.
That’s about where I’m at and I don’t see Philly and Milwaukee ending up on the same side. One will surely he the 1 seed and even if the other stumbles or someone else has a great regular season I can’t imagine the other would fall past 3.

I’d hope for 55 wins and a competitive 6 or 7 game ECSF loss.

Really I’m hoping for dramatic improvement from Brown and Tatum. I want Langford Williams and Williams to show me something too.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.