Author Topic: Even the Yankees aren't all evil...  (Read 2458 times)

Even the Yankees aren't all evil...
« on: August 13, 2009, 10:55:11 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
he team facing Yankees ace A.J. Burnett a few weeks back at Yankee Stadium has to go down as the oddest in baseball history.

For one thing, it plays only at night. The players have no choice. Even one minute of sunshine can kill them.

They're from Camp Sundown, in Craryville, N.Y., and they live life on the other side of the sun. All of them have the rare disease known as XP -- xeroderma pigmentosum. If kids with XP catch the slightest UV ray, they can and do develop cancerous tumors. Even fluorescent lights fry their skin like boiling oil. Most of them don't live to be 20.

So how could they take the field at Yankee Stadium? Because this was 3 a.m. Superstar right-handers should be tucked into bed by then, yet there was Burnett, throwing Wiffle-ball splitters and chasing down line drives.

I'd encourage everyone to read the article (Link), if you're into those tear-jerking types of stories. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Even the Yankees aren't all evil...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:57:17 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'd settle for "Not all Yankees are THAT evil".

But yeah, that's a cool thing to do. I've always liked Burnett, but him being a Yankee...

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 11:01:23 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Nice article Roy,  I agree with BudweiserCeltic in that it should be "Not all Yankees are THAT evil".  Never cared for Burnet and I don't like him now that he is a Yankee but he does have some-what of my respect especially for giving to the community like this.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 11:04:13 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Nice article Roy,  I agree with BudweiserCeltic in that it should be "Not all Yankees are THAT evil".  Never cared for Burnet and I don't like him now that he is a Yankee but he does have some-what of my respect especially for giving to the community like this.

Well, Cashman, Jeter, and others were there, and the front office organized it, so I wanted to give credit where it's due.  The organization isn't pure evil, apparently.  90%, maybe.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:07:18 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Well, Cashman, Jeter, and others were there, and the front office organized it, so I wanted to give credit where it's due.  The organization isn't pure evil, apparently.  90%, maybe.

Gotta give them credit too... I didn't read the article before I posted sorry about that... They some-what have my respect too for doing this.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 11:42:14 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'd heard a little about that.  Really nice job by the Yankees.  You'd have to challenge a fiction writer pretty to hard to come up with some of the rare diseases and disorders people have to endure.  Glad those kids had some fun.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 11:59:48 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
About 7-8 yrs ago i took my grandsons to a sox-yankees game and got there for batting practice....the older one was leaning over the stands where third base juts out and a balled whizzed just by his glove....mariano rivera picked it up  in left field and nodded to him....about ten minutes later as bp ended, he came by and handed him the ball.....we still all hate the yankees, but respect him as a class act

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 12:30:19 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
he team facing Yankees ace A.J. Burnett a few weeks back at Yankee Stadium has to go down as the oddest in baseball history.

For one thing, it plays only at night. The players have no choice. Even one minute of sunshine can kill them.

They're from Camp Sundown, in Craryville, N.Y., and they live life on the other side of the sun. All of them have the rare disease known as XP -- xeroderma pigmentosum. If kids with XP catch the slightest UV ray, they can and do develop cancerous tumors. Even fluorescent lights fry their skin like boiling oil. Most of them don't live to be 20.

So how could they take the field at Yankee Stadium? Because this was 3 a.m. Superstar right-handers should be tucked into bed by then, yet there was Burnett, throwing Wiffle-ball splitters and chasing down line drives.

I'd encourage everyone to read the article (Link), if you're into those tear-jerking types of stories. 

Wow, both sad and uplifting.  Thanks.  TP for the yanks.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10