Author Topic: Celtics (35-13) at Heat (26-22) Game #49 1/24/23  (Read 14045 times)

Re: Celtics (35-13) at Heat (26-22) Game #49 1/24/23
« Reply #300 on: January 24, 2023, 10:20:11 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Btw I’m not suggesting not calling a timeout was the right thing…I mentioned it at the time that Joe should have called timeout. I just really think joes not callin a timeout in thst situation, as well as other situations, is due to his coaching philosophy. He knows exactly what he is doing not calling timeout, he has a purpose in not doing so. He’s using these live ball situations as teaching moments even if it costs them the game, because he wants them to experience those moments and look back to see if they made the right or wrong decision so thst in the playoffs they will be better at them. But come playoff time the time for learning will be over and every win matters because you need 16 wins to raise banner 18.

Whether his philosophy is the right one or not will be debated all the way through the season, I’m sure Felger and Mazz will be talking out it tomorrow just as the NBC Sports Boston crew are talking about it right now. he will ultimately be vindicated or not based on the results.
He’s teaching them what exactly? He’s down 4 starters basically and letting the rest of the team fail on purpose. All he did was let the team down (again). He just cost them a game.

Well rather than me speaking for him apparently he was asked about it in the postgame and I will transcribe it here  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #301 on: January 24, 2023, 10:24:14 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
Would it be fair to say that the Celtics has a solid system in place, and that Joe slid in perfectly because of that system. It’s the in game Xs and Os that’s not clear at this point. I don’t recall a game where we needed to to score and the tv coverage was focused on Joe designing a play.

« Reply #302 on: January 24, 2023, 10:24:31 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
C’s are going to go in the playoffs with a disadvantage in the coaching department, it is what it is. There will be a time where coaching will matter eventually in a series. I’ve yet to see any evidence that Mazzulla will counter anything or draw up a play to win a game.

« Reply #303 on: January 24, 2023, 10:24:37 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
I guess even if you don’t want to take a timeout, when the clock is running down, and it’s obvious nothing is developing, would you not call one at that point?
I mean I could tell that nothing was happening yet he did nothing. Really poor coaching in my opinion.

« Reply #304 on: January 24, 2023, 10:24:56 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Joe saying he should have done more to get them better looks out of the zone from a coaching point of view

Said their spacing wasn’t good during the zone and didn’t play fast enough

Says it was on him to put up a better play on that second last offensive possession where JT got trapped, he felt they had a good opportunity because Miami had their offensive lineup out there and he liked their matchups and he didn’t want Miami to put their defensive lineup during any timeout, so he said he didn’t feel he needed to call a timeout but what he needed to do was call a better play for JT thst would give him more visibility when he got trapped

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #305 on: January 24, 2023, 10:27:16 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
Joe saying he should have done more to get them better looks out of the zone from a coaching point of view

Says it was on him to put up a better play on that second last offensive possession where JT got trapped, he felt they had a good opportunity because Miami had their offensive lineup out there and he liked their matchups and he didn’t want Miami to put their defensive lineup during any timeout, so he said he didn’t feel he needed to call a timeout but what he needed to do was call a better play for JT thst would give him more visibility when he got trapped

So essentially said he’s a terrible coach?

« Reply #306 on: January 24, 2023, 10:27:44 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
So, I'm looking at the play-by-play summary, let me make sure about what happened.

8:47 Rob W dunks for a 10 point lead
Spolestra calls for a timeout
Heat proceed then to go from down 10 to up 5 in the next five minutes.
Juicy Fruit Joe never calls a timeout to at least address a +15-point run by the Heat.

This guy is a deer in headlights clueless. We will not win the title with him this season.
I don't know who to be angrier with, Mazzulla or Udoka.
Does Stevens ever sit down with Joe and talk to him about his glaring screw-ups ?

yes, the 15-0 run in that situation without a TO is damming. also damming was the lack of a TO and solid ATO on the second-to-last possession. miami is running a stretch 2-3 and the guards were extending to double tatum at the 3pt line, which they had consistently done in the 4Q, knowing he was the only real threat.

how do you beat that? definitely not with a lazy skip pass, but instead with a high post pass, followed by the perimeter wings cutting hard to the paint. tatum could have stayed above the 3pt line for a kick-out, if the guards collapse on the high post. if bam or another big steps up, the cutting wings have a layup. and the frustrating part of it is rob is an excellent passer.

joe is lost and is riding a great roster.

« Reply #307 on: January 24, 2023, 10:29:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

apparently not an independent thinker either.  ;)

« Reply #308 on: January 24, 2023, 10:33:15 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

To be called a coach, one would actually need to coach.

« Reply #309 on: January 24, 2023, 10:33:46 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
So, I'm looking at the play-by-play summary, let me make sure about what happened.

8:47 Rob W dunks for a 10 point lead
Spolestra calls for a timeout
Heat proceed then to go from down 10 to up 5 in the next five minutes.
Juicy Fruit Joe never calls a timeout to at least address a +15-point run by the Heat.

This guy is a deer in headlights clueless. We will not win the title with him this season.
I don't know who to be angrier with, Mazzulla or Udoka.
Does Stevens ever sit down with Joe and talk to him about his glaring screw-ups ?

I don't give you many TPs, but this one I have to hand to you. Great post.

Joe seems to be a bit immature, and I wonder if this timeout thing is just him being stubborn and trying to "prove everyone wrong" at this point, as he's been called on it multiple times now.

Really, really, really sucks that Udoka couldn't keep it in his pants. We'd be so much better off with him over Joe, particularly with him keeping the kids in check and his much more substantial experience with NBA ball.

Joe is clearly green, but I also wonder if he's got the right personality and attitude for this job, as he's been completely inflexible thus far.

« Reply #310 on: January 24, 2023, 10:36:39 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273

thanks for summarizing joe’s answers. tp

« Reply #311 on: January 24, 2023, 10:37:50 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Joe mismanages 3 games in a row.  He blew it against Toronto and we were [dang] lucky to win that.  Just garbage coaching. 

I could do better.  Yeah I said it.  You're [dang] right I could do better.

My 7 year old with a whopping one year of experience playing basketball could coach better right now. No logical basketball person would let that final play go without a TO given our injuries and how the fourth has went.

Seriously, there's got to be zero confidence in him as a playoff coach right now. If you're Brad, you have to sit him down and put his butt on the hot seat. This in-game management futility is costing us way too many games.

I can’t imagine he would coach this way in the playoffs. I think he’s determined to use live game experiences as teaching moments regardless of whether it leads to a win or a loss. There’s no other logical explanation. Mazulla got this job for a reason surely Brad would have known of his philosophy and signed off on it. That’s the only thing I can think of.

Even if this is true, it's ludicrous to give up games because of this. What is the team going to learn in that instance with 4 of their top 6 out and not having it going all fourth quarter long?

Whatever the true reason is, there's no justification for it.

Players being out is a great opportunity for learning. These guys who are usually not on the floor in pressure situations now get experience in a pressure situation and have an opportunity to build confidence.

So that when the playoffs do come around, if a situation arises where they are called into crunc Q4 minutes for whatever reason (like foul trouble), then they are then ready and prepared for the pressure moment.

Larry Bird used to do that as a coach. He would use the first couple of months of the season to give his 2nd unit more Q4 minutes in close games over his starters for this exact reason. He was intentional with it and he got great results. That 1998 Pacers team that pushed Chicago to 7 in the ECF and the 2000 Pacers that went to the Finals both got huge performances from their bench in big playoff moments.

« Reply #312 on: January 24, 2023, 10:37:57 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff

To be called a coach, one would actually need to coach.

And seriously, what is Miami’s defensive lineup that he was so concerned about? And wouldn’t allow him to put in his own offensive unit?

Sounds more like an excuse for not having a clue

« Reply #313 on: January 24, 2023, 10:45:20 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
Joe mismanages 3 games in a row.  He blew it against Toronto and we were [dang] lucky to win that.  Just garbage coaching. 

I could do better.  Yeah I said it.  You're [dang] right I could do better.

My 7 year old with a whopping one year of experience playing basketball could coach better right now. No logical basketball person would let that final play go without a TO given our injuries and how the fourth has went.

Seriously, there's got to be zero confidence in him as a playoff coach right now. If you're Brad, you have to sit him down and put his butt on the hot seat. This in-game management futility is costing us way too many games.

I can’t imagine he would coach this way in the playoffs. I think he’s determined to use live game experiences as teaching moments regardless of whether it leads to a win or a loss. There’s no other logical explanation. Mazulla got this job for a reason surely Brad would have known of his philosophy and signed off on it. That’s the only thing I can think of.

Even if this is true, it's ludicrous to give up games because of this. What is the team going to learn in that instance with 4 of their top 6 out and not having it going all fourth quarter long?

Whatever the true reason is, there's no justification for it.

Players being out is a great opportunity for learning. These guys who are usually not on the floor in pressure situations now get experience in a pressure situation and have an opportunity to build confidence.

So that when the playoffs do come around, if a situation arises where they are called into crunc Q4 minutes for whatever reason (like foul trouble), then they are then ready and prepared for the pressure moment.

Larry Bird used to do that as a coach. He would use the first couple of months of the season to give his 2nd unit more Q4 minutes in close games over his starters for this exact reason. He was intentional with it and he got great results. That 1998 Pacers team that pushed Chicago to 7 in the ECF and the 2000 Pacers that went to the Finals both got huge performances from their bench in big playoff moments.

Did they change the rules in the playoffs and take TO's away? He can teach how to handle pressure and coach the guys to a win at the same time.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #314 on: January 24, 2023, 10:46:54 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Grant Williams was terrible tonight.
Hauser is worthless.
Outside of Tatum and D. White they all stunk and gave Miami the game.