Author Topic: Celtics (35-13) at Heat (26-22) Game #49 1/24/23  (Read 14080 times)

Re: Celtics (35-13) at Heat (26-22) Game #49 1/24/23
« Reply #285 on: January 24, 2023, 10:05:00 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Joe mismanages 3 games in a row.  He blew it against Toronto and we were [dang] lucky to win that.  Just garbage coaching. 

I could do better.  Yeah I said it.  You're [dang] right I could do better.

My 7 year old with a whopping one year of experience playing basketball could coach better right now. No logical basketball person would let that final play go without a TO given our injuries and how the fourth has went.

Seriously, there's got to be zero confidence in him as a playoff coach right now. If you're Brad, you have to sit him down and put his butt on the hot seat. This in-game management futility is costing us way too many games.

I can’t imagine he would coach this way in the playoffs. I think he’s determined to use live game experiences as teaching moments regardless of whether it leads to a win or a loss. There’s no other logical explanation. Mazulla got this job for a reason surely Brad would have known of his philosophy and signed off on it. That’s the only thing I can think of.

Even if this is true, it's ludicrous to give up games because of this. What is the team going to learn in that instance with 4 of their top 6 out and not having it going all fourth quarter long?

Whatever the true reason is, there's no justification for it.

« Reply #286 on: January 24, 2023, 10:05:42 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
The fact they didn’t even get a shot off is criminal. That’s on Joe to know the situation and his personnel. Whole thing feels stubborn.

Yep, completely dogmatic. He's doing it just to do it, not because it's been working.

« Reply #287 on: January 24, 2023, 10:06:36 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 169
Mazzulla is terrible in these situations..

I can’t believe he would coach this way in the playoffs. It must be his determination to use live game situations as teaching moments win or lose

You're giving him way too much credit at this point.

And even if it is that, that's ridiculous. You don't lose games like this because you "want to teach them a lesson".

I’m just going off what he said in one of the early games where his timeout philosophy was brought up in the presser and he essentially said he is prepared to lose games if it means he can expose them to moments where they have to think for themselves on the court. I will look for it, I posted it here earlier but since the search function doesn’t work I will have to find it manually

Just fyi - if you click on profile and then go to the url and change 'profile' to 'search' it will bring up the old search function that we all know and love(d).
Thanks for that too! TP

« Reply #288 on: January 24, 2023, 10:07:55 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
They need to get some of their energy and focus back vs the Knicks and leBrick. Those two games are a must.

« Reply #289 on: January 24, 2023, 10:09:06 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 169
Joe is a likeable guy, but he is not the coach for this team.

« Reply #290 on: January 24, 2023, 10:09:27 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Btw I’m not suggesting not calling a timeout was the right thing…I mentioned it at the time that Joe should have called timeout. I just really think joes not callin a timeout in thst situation, as well as other situations, is due to his coaching philosophy. He knows exactly what he is doing not calling timeout, he has a purpose in not doing so. He’s using these live ball situations as teaching moments even if it costs them the game, because he wants them to experience those moments and look back to see if they made the right or wrong decision so thst in the playoffs they will be better at them. But come playoff time the time for learning will be over and every win matters because you need 16 wins to raise banner 18.

Whether his philosophy is the right one or not will be debated all the way through the season, I’m sure Felger and Mazz will be talking out it tomorrow just as the NBC Sports Boston crew are talking about it right now. he will ultimately be vindicated or not based on the results.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #291 on: January 24, 2023, 10:13:23 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
Btw I’m not suggesting not calling a timeout was the right thing…I mentioned it at the time that Joe should have called timeout. I just really think joes not callin a timeout in thst situation, as well as other situations, is due to his coaching philosophy. He’s using these live ball situations as teaching moments even if it costs them the game, because he wants them to experience those moments and look back to see if they made the right or wrong decision so thst I’m the playoffs they will be better at them. But come playoff time the time for learning will be over and every win matters because you need 16 wins to raise banner 18.

This team has multiple guys with loads of playoff experience. If he wants to teach, then teach tatum how to get back on defense. Teach them not to go iso in moments when things spiral.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #292 on: January 24, 2023, 10:13:42 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
if joe thinks his TO strategy is appropriate with three starters and the best sixth man in the league out, he’s in over his head. a great coach micromanages these type of players in this situation to preserve the win, especially when you played your mvp candidate 40 mins on a b2b.

« Reply #293 on: January 24, 2023, 10:14:34 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
So, I'm looking at the play-by-play summary, let me make sure about what happened.

8:47 Rob W dunks for a 10 point lead
Spolestra calls for a timeout
Heat proceed then to go from down 10 to up 5 in the next five minutes.
Juicy Fruit Joe never calls a timeout to at least address a +15-point run by the Heat.

This guy is a deer in headlights clueless. We will not win the title with him this season.
I don't know who to be angrier with, Mazzulla or Udoka.
Does Stevens ever sit down with Joe and talk to him about his glaring screw-ups ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #294 on: January 24, 2023, 10:15:36 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
As good as Tatum is, he's really had some terrible possessions when it matters most.  Two costly live turnovers this game, and he did the same thing against Golden State down the stretch.  7 TOs total this game.

I wish we'd stick with trusting each other and moving the ball, even as the game is winding down.  A lot of the ball we're seeing now is reminiscent of the Stevens era.

« Reply #295 on: January 24, 2023, 10:15:44 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
So, I'm looking at the play-by-play summary, let me make sure about what happened.

8:47 Rob W dunks for a 10 point lead
Spolestra calls for a timeout
Heat proceed then to go from down 10 to up 5 in the next five minutes.
Juicy Fruit Joe never calls a timeout to at least address a +15-point run by the Heat.

This guy is a deer in headlights clueless. We will not win the title with him this season.
I don't know who to be angrier with, Mazzulla or Udoka.
Does Stevens ever sit down with Joe and talk to him about his glaring screw-ups ?

Ultimately it's brads fault for putting a young clown in charge of this circus.

« Reply #296 on: January 24, 2023, 10:16:50 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
As good as Tatum is, he's really had some terrible possessions when it matters most.  Two costly live turnovers this game, and he did the same thing against Golden State down the stretch.  7 TOs total this game.

I wish we'd stick with trusting each other and moving the ball, even as the game is winding down.  A lot of the ball we're seeing now is reminiscent of the Stevens era.

You would think Joe would've taught him better by now.

« Reply #297 on: January 24, 2023, 10:17:32 PM »

Online PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Btw I’m not suggesting not calling a timeout was the right thing…I mentioned it at the time that Joe should have called timeout. I just really think joes not callin a timeout in thst situation, as well as other situations, is due to his coaching philosophy. He knows exactly what he is doing not calling timeout, he has a purpose in not doing so. He’s using these live ball situations as teaching moments even if it costs them the game, because he wants them to experience those moments and look back to see if they made the right or wrong decision so thst in the playoffs they will be better at them. But come playoff time the time for learning will be over and every win matters because you need 16 wins to raise banner 18.

Whether his philosophy is the right one or not will be debated all the way through the season, I’m sure Felger and Mazz will be talking out it tomorrow just as the NBC Sports Boston crew are talking about it right now. he will ultimately be vindicated or not based on the results.
He’s teaching them what exactly? He’s down 4 starters basically and letting the rest of the team fail on purpose. All he did was let the team down (again). He just cost them a game.

« Reply #298 on: January 24, 2023, 10:19:02 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Tough to win when your missing four of your top six players on the second game of a back to back.

But we were winning, that's the point. Up 10 in the 4th quarter.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #299 on: January 24, 2023, 10:19:16 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Btw I’m not suggesting not calling a timeout was the right thing…I mentioned it at the time that Joe should have called timeout. I just really think joes not callin a timeout in thst situation, as well as other situations, is due to his coaching philosophy. He’s using these live ball situations as teaching moments even if it costs them the game, because he wants them to experience those moments and look back to see if they made the right or wrong decision so thst I’m the playoffs they will be better at them. But come playoff time the time for learning will be over and every win matters because you need 16 wins to raise banner 18.

This team has multiple guys with loads of playoff experience. If he wants to teach, then teach tatum how to get back on defense. Teach them not to go iso in moments when things spiral.

Eddie brought up a good point in the post game…even if Joe planned to not call a timeout, he should have changed his mind once he saw JT walking the ball up and dribbling it at the top of the key because by then they lost the initiative and Miami had set their defense. The only time you don’t call timeout is if you feel you have an advantage because the other teams defense is not set, like last season when Tatum scored a game winning layups against the Nets where Ime didn’t call timeout but they got the ball quickly up the court.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D