Author Topic: Pritchard taking it to the basket  (Read 933 times)

Pritchard taking it to the basket
« on: January 25, 2023, 01:10:44 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
I like Pritchard but I have no faith in him going for a layup on fast break when a defender/s are between him and the basket.

I know this isn't a surprise based on height but I'd rather he pull up all the time than risk it.

Re: Pritchard taking it to the basket
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 01:26:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
One thing I've noticed more recently is that when surrounded by bigger players, he's not even trying to pump fake.  He just goes straight up with it and seems to get blocked more than is necessary.

I'd love to see actual data on that, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 04:20:23 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I’d love to see him adjust with more playing time. Obviously I want Smart back soon, but if it take 3-4 weeks for a complete recovery, that might give us (and potential trade partners) a better feel for what he can provide with regular starter minutes.  It might not work out well, but my guess is he’ll be better as he gets consistent time.  His energy is a plus, his shooting is often a plus, his playmaking and decision making probably get better in time.   I think he’s a solid asset as a good backup, a spot starter, and maybe a starter for the right team.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 04:25:47 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
BLOCKED~!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 04:44:23 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
On related note, I think we see the issues with PP the more he plays.  He just doesn't threaten the defense anything like white, smart, and brogdon.  It's not just being small, it's also not being explosive.  He also isn't much of a distributor.

Not trying to dog the kid, and don't want to trade him.  I still think he brings good value in the role he does have once everything is healthy.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 05:29:55 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
On related note, I think we see the issues with PP the more he plays.  He just doesn't threaten the defense anything like white, smart, and brogdon.  It's not just being small, it's also not being explosive.  He also isn't much of a distributor.

Not trying to dog the kid, and don't want to trade him.  I still think he brings good value in the role he does have once everything is healthy.

Pritchard is a small 2-guard.  That can work in Boston given we have three large PGs, but it’s also why Hauser took his minutes early in the year, because having a wing who’s wing-sized is better than having a wing who’s PG-sized.  He also understands his role is to be a sparkplug off the bench — if he remains through the deadline, I’m confident he’ll come off the bench sometime in the playoffs when we need a burst of energy and turn a game around.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 05:34:16 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

Pritchard is a small 2-guard.  That can work in Boston given we have three large PGs, but it’s also why Hauser took his minutes early in the year, because having a wing who’s wing-sized is better than having a wing who’s PG-sized.  He also understands his role is to be a sparkplug off the bench — if he remains through the deadline, I’m confident he’ll come off the bench sometime in the playoffs when we need a burst of energy and turn a game around.

That’s what you want in a playoff bench and non-stars — guys who can be consistent in a minor role and then play a key role in a game or 2 in a series. They have a bunch of possible game influencers. And PP can be among them.