Author Topic: Congrats to Pujols  (Read 5562 times)

Congrats to Pujols
« on: September 24, 2022, 10:49:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
With all the other Boston Celtic related news and Judge's pursuit of the AL record, Pujols hit 2 HR's yesterday which were his 699th and 700th on his career.  He becomes just the 4th member of the 700 club and is now 14 away from tying Ruth for 3rd all time (he obviously would have to play another year to have a shot at passing Ruth). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Congrats to Pujols
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 10:52:23 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Impressive run

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 11:06:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What a streak.  I’m glad he made it.  One of the best ever.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 11:16:09 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I saw him when he played in Boston in June, and he looked completely toast.  At that point the Cards were just letting him play once each series to give him a farewell tour.  It’s amazing how he’s turned it around the last two months.  For the season, he has his highest OPS+ and SLG since his last year in St. Louis before leaving for the Angels.  I know it’s not a full comparison because he’s been platooning more this year, but the rebound he’s made in the middle of this season is phenomenal.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 11:36:25 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Congrats to Pujols! Very impressive to reach 700 after how the first few months of the season looked for him. Cards could also make a deep playoff run so who knows, maybe there's some more magic in store?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 11:41:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The next closest active player is Cabrera with 506.  After that it is Cruz at 459.  Stanton at 375 is after that and he is still just 32, and he barely played for a couple of years where he got just 7 over 2 seasons.  If Stanton stays relatively healthy he would have a shot at 700, though him staying relatively healthy seems unlikely with his history.  Trout at age 30 is already at 99th all time with 346 seems like the closest guy with a real shot at 700.  No one else that isn't in their first couple of years has any shot at it and those guys are so early in their careers you couldn't predict if any will stay healthy and good enough to do it.  Judge hasn't been around that long and already has 218, but he started later and is 30 already so for him to make 700 he'd have to have several more years like this one to start to even think about having a shot at it. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 12:20:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The next closest active player is Cabrera with 506.  After that it is Cruz at 459.  Stanton at 375 is after that and he is still just 32, and he barely played for a couple of years where he got just 7 over 2 seasons.  If Stanton stays relatively healthy he would have a shot at 700, though him staying relatively healthy seems unlikely with his history.  Trout at age 30 is already at 99th all time with 346 seems like the closest guy with a real shot at 700.  No one else that isn't in their first couple of years has any shot at it and those guys are so early in their careers you couldn't predict if any will stay healthy and good enough to do it.  Judge hasn't been around that long and already has 218, but he started later and is 30 already so for him to make 700 he'd have to have several more years like this one to start to even think about having a shot at it.

It really is an amazing feat.  You look at some of the guys who didn’t make it after incredible starts (Griffey, Arod, etc.), and it makes you appreciate the longevity and consistency it takes to get to 700.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 02:05:59 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
It's been fun following his pursuit of 700 and his resurgence in the second half of the season. I remember talking with a friend about this just before the midpoint of the season, and at the time Pujols needed 17 homers to reach 700, and both of us were like, nah, that's too many for a guy at his age who hadn't been good the first half of the season. But now, here we are.

I'm happy for him, and I think it's great for baseball.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis