Author Topic: 30K  (Read 3302 times)

« on: August 25, 2023, 10:47:18 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pardon me for getting a bit sentimental here.

My 30,000th post.  Some of you already know this story so bear with me. Back in the spring of 2007, I had toyed with the idea of going all in on Celtics season tickets.  The Celtics were headed for the lottery but things were looking up with Oden & Durant being the top prizes and the C's having the 2nd best odds.  I walked into the Celtics ticket office the day before the lottery and ended up touring an empty Garden and locking down two season tickets in Sec. 311.  The hope was that the Celtics would get either Oden or Durant and I'd be there for the climb back to glory.

Fast forward 24 hours and the Celtics ended up with the 5th pick in the lottery.  I was utterly devastated and wondered what the heck I had just got myself into. Spent the next week or so in a daze.  One day, I was reading articles linked from the old BostonSportsMedia.com website (Shout out Bruce Allen) and came across an article by Jeff Clark of something called Celticsblog.  Discovered the whole community and the rest was history.  16+ years later, and the blog is still here as CelticsStrong.  I think that speaks to the community here and the passion of the posters when it comes to the Celtics. We share that unique bond.  Message boards certainly aren't what they once where back in the 2000s but this place is still going strong.  I was 26 when I joined this thing and here I am, on the verge of turning 43 next week, still floating around on these forums.

Met a lot of good people on here.  Just want to shoutout people like  Roy, Edgar,  Wdleehi, and IndeedProceed who decided to bring me in as a mod about 6 months after I joined.    Jeff & the late Bob Day who were the OGs and had the vision to develop CB.  The legendary FLCeltsFan who has been the backbone and staple of this community with her game threads.  Gouki who has been a great addition to the staff. Redz, the constant joker & person who can lighten up any situation. Former staff members like Chris, Nickagneta, Fafnir, Drucci. & Kiorrik who always provided unique perspectives.  Steve Weinman who I've had the pleasure of meeting in real life several times.  Seeing his growth from CB writer all the way to assistant GM of the Chicago Bulls makes me so proud. And Byennie, who helped keep this site alive after SB Nation decided to drop us.  We won't be here today if it wasn't for you. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone but meeting people along this journey has been a blast.

Most of all, I just want to thank all the members here.  Past & present.  You have made this place special and continue to make it special and visiting it is always a part of my daily routine.  Looking forward to sharing that next championship or two with you and hope I can get another 30K or so posts in along the way.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 12:26:12 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: 30K
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 10:52:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Congrats man, though the next post you make and this thread becomes outdated. Ha.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 11:35:41 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Great post, Dons!  The community is lucky to have you, and have been since day one.

Congrats!

🎉 ☘️ 🍾

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 01:53:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Thanks for sharing that. Great post. Tp.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 02:28:20 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

I have a history question....
I remember the time you speak of. I was a member(mostly reader, like here) of the boston globe message board, i recall much discussion about the prospect of drafting Yi Yillian with that 5th pick...anyways, was CB an off shoot from that board? And...Bob Day was involved w that transfer?

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 03:15:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

I have a history question....
I remember the time you speak of. I was a member(mostly reader, like here) of the boston globe message board, i recall much discussion about the prospect of drafting Yi Yillian with that 5th pick...anyways, was CB an off shoot from that board? And...Bob Day was involved w that transfer?

1.  I think so. 

2.  No, Bob came later

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 04:40:05 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Great post. A trip down memory lane with some of the old folks I recalled.

Kiorrik and esp Fafnir (played games with him on Steam). Some of the OGs still here. S/o to Byennie for continuing to hold down the foundation of CStrong.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 05:16:01 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
That’s a lot of posts, sir. Here’s to 30,000 more.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2023, 05:25:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Congrats Dons!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 05:46:44 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Great post, Don.  I had forgotten some of those names, Bob Day in particular. 

When did this message board start?  I feel like I joined around 2004.  And when did the change happen where everyone's post count reset? 

Message boards are an interesting part of internet culture.  20 years ago they were all the rage.  Now they've slowly went the way of the buffalo.  It's a testament to CB (or now CS) that this board is still going strong.  My first foray into Celtics message boards was back when ESPN had a board for each team in every major sport.  I jumped on right around the time Rick Pitino stepped down.  So many boards have came and went.  Remember how big Celtic-Nation used to be?  I still post on celtics green, which is going on 20 years now.  Im pretty sure realGM's Celtic page is still operating too. 

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2023, 09:44:44 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Congrats Dons.  This site has been a lot of things at a lot of times for a lot of people. 

It’s very easy to get sentimental with so much water under the bridge.  Enjoy the ride!
Yup

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2023, 11:14:36 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I agree, great post. Nice to hear about the full history.

I joined CB in 2007 and carried through to CS. Prior to 2007, I was a member of two message boards:

Celtics 17, which was a tiny board of maybe 100 or less members started (obviously) before banner 17. I think there are a few posters here who were on that board, Snively comes to mind. Anyone else remember Celtics-17?

Yahoo-Celtics which I think is gone now as well along with most other Yahoo boards. I don't recall much from that board, except for a trade proposal I made for Erik Dampier.