Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 110122 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #1260 on: January 09, 2023, 09:15:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Broderick Jones would be a sweet pick at #14 for NE
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1261 on: January 10, 2023, 08:21:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
In a lengthy column published Tuesday morning, Boston Sports Journal’s Greg Bedard revealed that Belichick’s treatment of Mac Jones this season is just one of many things that didn’t sit well with Patriots players.

“That Belichick declined to endorse Mac Jones as the starting QB in 2023 likely won’t play well in the locker room,” Bedard wrote. “The players understand that Jones and the offense were put in terrible positions by Belichick this season. Hopefully he takes more accountability for that in private because that’s how you lose players, and many were disillusioned from the start about the changes. Several players were not happy with how Belichick handled Jones with the Bailey Zappe situation, especially against the Bears — there are lingering feelings about that.”

“Players don’t believe they were put in a position to succeed,” Bedard wrote. “And one believes that if they had kept the same blocking system as last season, the team would have had half the sacks and negative plays that killed the offense this season. That was a coaching decision, and the Krafts are well aware of the situation.”

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1262 on: January 10, 2023, 09:00:52 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
In a lengthy column published Tuesday morning, Boston Sports Journal’s Greg Bedard revealed that Belichick’s treatment of Mac Jones this season is just one of many things that didn’t sit well with Patriots players.

“That Belichick declined to endorse Mac Jones as the starting QB in 2023 likely won’t play well in the locker room,” Bedard wrote. “The players understand that Jones and the offense were put in terrible positions by Belichick this season. Hopefully he takes more accountability for that in private because that’s how you lose players, and many were disillusioned from the start about the changes. Several players were not happy with how Belichick handled Jones with the Bailey Zappe situation, especially against the Bears — there are lingering feelings about that.”

“Players don’t believe they were put in a position to succeed,” Bedard wrote. “And one believes that if they had kept the same blocking system as last season, the team would have had half the sacks and negative plays that killed the offense this season. That was a coaching decision, and the Krafts are well aware of the situation.”

I can imagine Kraft not being pleased to hear this. Statement needs to be made to Belichick. As for the other misfits on the coaching staff, they gotta go man.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1263 on: January 11, 2023, 09:10:14 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not a season ticket holder that's why), but I heard from others that they don't even send these announcements until usually mid-to-late February? So it's pretty telling that this year, they legit sent out the memo just a day after the Pats season ended.

Yeah, Kraft isn't happy. Nor should he be

« Reply #1264 on: January 11, 2023, 09:23:19 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
“And one believes that if they had kept the same blocking system as last season, the team would have had half the sacks and negative plays that killed the offense this season. That was a coaching decision, and the Krafts are well aware of the situation.”

This is interesting to me.  It is not apparent to me how the blocking system changed.  If this is in fact true, it should be fixable.  If they can get the OL straight for next season, that will be huge and a big help to Mac Jones in particular.  I doubt very much that some assistant coach came in and changed the OL system without approval from Belichick.  Sometimes you have to change a system to compensate for lack of ability of the players trying to execute it.  But I don't know.

I am not putting too much stock into one player shooting off his mouth to one reporter.  There could be some truth to this but also probably a lot more to the story.

« Reply #1265 on: January 11, 2023, 09:32:13 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
“And one believes that if they had kept the same blocking system as last season, the team would have had half the sacks and negative plays that killed the offense this season. That was a coaching decision, and the Krafts are well aware of the situation.”

This is interesting to me.  It is not apparent to me how the blocking system changed.  If this is in fact true, it should be fixable.  If they can get the OL straight for next season, that will be huge and a big help to Mac Jones in particular.  I doubt very much that some assistant coach came in and changed the OL system without approval from Belichick.  Sometimes you have to change a system to compensate for lack of ability of the players trying to execute it.  But I don't know.

I am not putting too much stock into one player shooting off his mouth to one reporter.  There could be some truth to this but also probably a lot more to the story.

It's not really a surprise actually. Before the season and during training camp, you probably heard they were trying to implement the Shanahan offensive system. And that includes a unique/different blocking scheme to implement as well. The plan though failed and they couldn't do it, and they pretty much had to revert to last year's offense but in very little time and it was an adjustment for everyone. Bourne (former Niners player under Shanahan) also seemed to call out the coaches for this and saying what they were trying wasn't working, and unfortunately it sounds like that got him in Patricia's doghouse... But he and the other players were all spot on. Patricia has no clue about offense and asking him to help implement and coach up a new system he's probably not as familiar with was a disaster. Joe Judge certainly didn't help either

« Reply #1266 on: January 11, 2023, 10:20:22 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

It's not really a surprise actually. Before the season and during training camp, you probably heard they were trying to implement the Shanahan offensive system. And that includes a unique/different blocking scheme to implement as well. The plan though failed and they couldn't do it, and they pretty much had to revert to last year's offense but in very little time and it was an adjustment for everyone. Bourne (former Niners player under Shanahan) also seemed to call out the coaches for this and saying what they were trying wasn't working, and unfortunately it sounds like that got him in Patricia's doghouse... But he and the other players were all spot on. Patricia has no clue about offense and asking him to help implement and coach up a new system he's probably not as familiar with was a disaster. Joe Judge certainly didn't help either

I’m sure Patricia still has some residual value, though his last two jobs haven’t been successful. Bill will hook him up somehow, even if it’s as a defensive assistant with Saban.

Re: the Shanahan system. They need to develop this or something else innovative. SF is a decent model for this team if we can get some explosive players. Less than stellar QB only works if you have an awesome defense. The Patriots can win this way, but let’s go get those Deebo/Kittle type players.

Deandre Hopkins (trade 1st and whatever else needed)
Devante Parker
Tyquan Thornton
Hunter Henry
Rhamondre Stevenson

Through FA, sign another receiving back and slot receiver.

Draft young defensive players and o linemen.

« Reply #1267 on: January 11, 2023, 10:52:10 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

I actually did not hear this.  Seems reasonable to try and modernize the offensive approach.  Of course if the OL is not sound, you can't do anything.  Sounds like the transition to this new modern offense was not executed well by the coaching staff but I also suspect that the OL personnel was not fully suited to this.

« Reply #1268 on: January 11, 2023, 10:58:51 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I actually did not hear this.  Seems reasonable to try and modernize the offensive approach.  Of course if the OL is not sound, you can't do anything.  Sounds like the transition to this new modern offense was not executed well by the coaching staff but I also suspect that the OL personnel was not fully suited to this.

This is exactly the case.

Case in point also, Miami decided to do the same thing and it actually worked for them. Because Mike McDaniels is a great offensive mind and knows about the Shanahan system since he worked under him. Meanwhile we had Patricia and Judge trying to implement it (lol)

And like I said above, Kendrick Bourne played for the Niners before coming here and even he was like "what?" when seeing them trying to implement this system but failing.

It's a very tough scheme to learn apparently and very tricky, but when it works it obviously looks really good as you can see from the Niners this season, and even the Dolphins who had an explosive offense this season when Tua was healthy

« Reply #1269 on: January 11, 2023, 04:20:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Phase 1

@NESN

Change is coming to the Patriots' coaching staff.

Bill Belichick reportedly will make "offensive coaching reassignments" after his end-of-season meeting with Robert Kraft.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1270 on: January 11, 2023, 08:09:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Phase 1

@NESN

Change is coming to the Patriots' coaching staff.

Bill Belichick reportedly will make "offensive coaching reassignments" after his end-of-season meeting with Robert Kraft.

They better

« Reply #1271 on: January 12, 2023, 12:30:09 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Interesting story…

The Patriots’ offense was so miserable this year that Mac Jones began calling around outside of the Patriots’ organization for help, according to former NFL quarterback and current football analyst Chris Simms.
The situation made Jones unhappy, and Jones was openly talking about it during the season, Simms said during an appearance on “NBC’s Pro Football Talk Live.”
“He was telling people he wasn’t happy,” Simms said. “He was calling people about, ‘Hey, can you help us with ideas and do stuff like that?'”

Patriots coach Bill Belichick was not happy with Jones when he caught wind of the situation, Simms said.

“From my understanding, Belichick found out all these things,” Simms said. “He found out that Mac was talking to people, and all this, and there was some back-channel conversations going on behind Belichick’s back. And I think that’s where it did get personal.”
Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio said that Belichick addressed the second-year quarterback about the calls.

“And Belichick made Mac Jones aware of it, too, as you might imagine — which is why it stopped,” said Florio.

« Reply #1272 on: January 12, 2023, 07:49:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
WOW this feels like huge news. I don't see NFL teams typically announcing stuff like this directly, let alone the Pats. But looks like Mayo will be extended here, and we'll look for an OC (meaning Patricia is out of that role)

https://twitter.com/Patriots/status/1613696202234544130

« Reply #1273 on: January 12, 2023, 09:08:13 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
WOW this feels like huge news. I don't see NFL teams typically announcing stuff like this directly, let alone the Pats. But looks like Mayo will be extended here, and we'll look for an OC (meaning Patricia is out of that role)

This is the Kraft’s trying to do damage control after that circus of a season. They don’t want to lose season ticket holders. Smart move.

« Reply #1274 on: January 12, 2023, 09:10:18 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Think Mayo will not be DC. He’ll get a more substantial promotion like assistant head coach. Might be Steve Belichick gets the DC role.

But either way, no Patricia. Sounds like OC will be external guy the way they worded it. So, good news all around.