Author Topic: Demand for Game 6 tickets is laughable  (Read 15336 times)

Demand for Game 6 tickets is laughable
« on: May 25, 2022, 09:41:10 AM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Lots of things working against people trying to unload their tickets for Game 6:
Memorial Day weekend
Boston Calling
Awful series from a watchability standpoint
Astronomical ticket cost

All that being said the amount of tickets for sale on ticketmaster is absurd, especially factoring it could be a Finals clinching game.

Maybe the interest picks up if they win tonight?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 09:56:27 AM by jbpats »

Re: Demand for Game 6 tickets is laughable
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 11:09:02 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Boston Calling and Memorial Day plans don't help demand, but it's all about the astronomical ticket costs. Right now, the cheapest ticket in the stadium is in section 324 (behind the basket), row 15 (the last row). It's $311/ticket for one of the worst seats in the house. That's simply not affordable to the majority of fans and, if it were me, I'd be thinking, "Screw it. If I'm going to spend that much money, it's going to be for a ticket to the finals."

Right now, there are over 3,000 tickets available on Ticketmaster. Even more interesting, some of those tickets are directly from the Celtics (i.e., not resale tickets). I suppose that demand could get better as we get closer to game-time, especially with a win tonight, but I think the market-clearing price, with this much supply on the market, is at a much lower price. As you know, prices tend to be highest well before the game. The closer we get, the more prices drop.

I was COVID-blocked from the first two games, so I had to sell those, but demand was really good. I'm going on Friday, so I'm not concerned about reselling my tickets, but I like watching the trends in the resale market.

Mike

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 11:14:44 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
The prices are too high.  I looked into going, but at over $300 just to get in the door, I’m passing.

Also, my only other conference finals game 6 was 2002 vs. the Nets, and that didn’t go well.  But it was only $50 in cash from the guy on the corner to get in, not 6 times that.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 03:31:11 PM »

Offline Mike

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
I would guess if the Heat had LeBron, Curry, Giannis, Durant, Luka, or Kyrie, demand would be much higher.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 03:40:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
At Vivid, bad balcony tix start at $220 and move quickly to over $450 for great balcony seats. You can't get out of the balcony for less than $440 and that's for bad loge seats.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 03:57:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
At Vivid, bad balcony tix start at $220 and move quickly to over $450 for great balcony seats. You can't get out of the balcony for less than $440 and that's for bad loge seats.

Only $2700 per seat, max of four.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 04:01:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

If I could get into a loge seat for $300 or less my buddy and I were talking flying in to Boston tomorrow and going to the game. Unfortunately, ticket prices and airline prices put the kibosh on that

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 04:04:14 PM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

If I could get into a loge seat for $300 or less my buddy and I were talking flying in to Boston tomorrow and going to the game. Unfortunately, ticket prices and airline prices put the kibosh on that

Seeing how many tickets are still out there i have a feeling Loge tickets will be selling for under $300 by tip off.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 04:30:31 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Seeing how many tickets are still out there i have a feeling Loge tickets will be selling for under $300 by tip off.

Hope so.  I can get to the Garden in about 12 minutes from my house.  If loge seats fall by that much at 8:30 tomorrow, I'll be there.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 04:36:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I was so close to driving down to Miami for a game, but just couldn't make it. I go to all of the Orlando games and usually hit a Miami game every couple of years. I know you are in the Tampa Bay area, so maybe we just missed our opportunity. Definitely not the same experience as the Garden, but I am thankful that everywhere I go there are a healthy number of Cs fans representing.

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 04:37:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Hope so.  I can get to the Garden in about 12 minutes from my house.  If loge seats fall by that much at 8:30 tomorrow, I'll be there.
Yah, you never know how low, or even how high, tickets will get just before game time. I didn't want to spend a grand on flight tickets and hotel and come to find out good tickets out of the balcony never got below $500-600 when I only want to spend is half that. I was hoping not to spend $1000 for the whole weekend but it was looking like a minimum of $1800 when adding everything up.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2022, 05:36:08 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I was shocked at what people were asking a week ago. $1,500 -- $2,500 for mid-tier loge seats? Forget it. Even for the playoffs, that's out of control. That's more like Finals pricing (If you want to see crazy, check out the price for the home games for the Finals...).

I guess people can ask whatever they want, but the first few resale postings set the price and future postings anchor off of it. So if the guy in Row 10 says, "Hmm, I'll ask for $2,000 and see if anyone is desperate," the guy in Row 9 will say, "Wow, I thought the market-clearing price would be about $800, but if guy-behind-me is asking $2,000, I'd be nuts to ask just $800. I'll set it at about $1,600 and will look cheap by comparison!"

Obviously, $2,000 was never really a viable price, nor was $1,600. But if enough people set their prices that high, supply will increase greatly while demand stays relatively steady. By the time you get to 2-3 days before the game, all the sections on Ticketmaster are dark blue (meaning a lot of tickets available) and sellers who really need to get rid of their tickets will panic a bit.

In the end, they may end up selling their tickets for a lot less than they would have if they had just priced them correctly to begin with.

Mike

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2022, 06:11:18 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
I love the Celtics, but these games are not worth it. The stakes are high, but the entertainment value isn't there. For a grand per decent ticket, I'm not going to watch the Miami Heat miss a million shots. I've gone to two Super Bowls and paid big money, but I can't see how Friday night's experience is similar.

Now, if we're talking about a Game 7 NBA Finals game, sure spend a couple grand. Throw it on a credit card, kick it down the road, and enjoy a unique experience.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2022, 06:29:42 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Ticket pricing in general is an interesting thing to watch. I used to live near Fenway Park and when I walked home past it some nights when there was a game not sold out (and game already started) I could get tickets for $10, easily. Scalpers used to have it so easy. I remember a period of time (this would be circa late 1990s) when the scalpers would buy out all the tickets to a game and then set up lawn chairs outside the ticket windows and just wait for customers. It was always the same guys -- clearly some "crew". Everyone turned a blind eye. I assume that's changed, but ... ?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2022, 06:30:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Yeah airline tix are crazy. My sister's roundtrip airfare (for my son's wedding) from LA to NY is nearly $1,400!!  I'm giving her my miles to soften the blow.