Author Topic: Red Sox 2022  (Read 38088 times)

Re: Red Sox 2022
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2022, 12:13:53 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Kyle Schwarber wasn't brought back because he wasn't experienced at first base. Dude leads the NL with 35 HRs and 75 RBIs.

Still shaking my head over that decision. Just waiting for the season to be over and Celtics to hit camp.

The hardest part other than the Red Sox lackluster performance is watching the Yankees fall apart after looking like an All Decade team for the 1st half of the season. Not that I am unhappy; it makes me incredibly happy, but it would be SO much sweeter if the Red Sox were the team reeling them in and potentially passing them.

It is such a waste of a good Yankees collapse to have the Red Sox sitting in the basement and not rising up to take 1st place. It’s happened so many times in the past (Sox fan since ‘68) where the Red Sox were the early front runners and the Yankees caught them and went on to play in the World Series instead.

« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2022, 01:24:59 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm a Bloom fan. Still am, BUT he has a massive offseason ahead. Otherwise I think he's definitely on the hot seat in 2023 if they don't do well again. Hate to say it but even for an optimistic guy like me, this season has become unwatchable. So many flaws on this roster, and more questions than answers. They should have 90M+ to spend this offseason with all the contracts coming off the books, but also have decisions with guys like Bogaerts, Devers, etc. (PAY THEM!)

Bloom better get things done and come out firing this winter otherwise I'm not seeing much change with his "nickel and dime, grab from the discount store" approach. Get an actual closer. Another real bullpen arm. 1 or 2 actual SPs. And another outfielder. Enough with the projects/fringe players.

The AL East is only getting tougher and even Baltimore might be entering contender-status in the next year or two with the money they have to spend and more top prospects coming up

Make no mistake, interest in the Sox has really dwindled and I have to imagine ownership sees this and knows it. I'm going to a game this Friday at Fenway and I'll be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some empty seats, which shouldn't be the case on a nice September Friday evening.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2022, 01:26:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Really like most of the rule changes being put into place for next year.

« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2022, 03:47:02 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I agree with nick's and phantom's comments directly above mine.

Seems like Bloom's trying not just to find one diamond in the rough, but a whole roster of diamonds in the rough, and that's so improbable as to be practically impossible.

And the games really need to go faster if baseball wants to survive. I do wish hitters had done more to outsmart the shift—I don't think it should be that hard to learn to hit to the side of the field that has only one defender—but I watch primarily for the offense, so whatever can lead to more scoring, I'm for it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2022, 11:12:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's not a Sox topic (unless you think Henry is going to chase a big bat this winter), but Aaron Judge just hit #60.  Impressive season.  He could get up to 65 or so.

At the same time, it seems bizarre to me that every analyst, everywhere seems to have concluded that because the Steroid Era ended in baseball, everybody is suddenly unquestionably clean.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2022, 11:20:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
It's not a Sox topic (unless you think Henry is going to chase a big bat this winter), but Aaron Judge just hit #60.  Impressive season.  He could get up to 65 or so.

At the same time, it seems bizarre to me that every analyst, everywhere seems to have concluded that because the Steroid Era ended in baseball, everybody is suddenly unquestionably clean.
Congrats to him. Dude is a specimen.

Steroids? Who knows anymore. Just assume everyone does so everyone is on an even competitive keel.

Baseball needs to accept it's history. Put Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Clemens and some of those other guys in the HoF and be done with it.

« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2022, 11:24:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Steroids? Who knows anymore. Just assume everyone does so everyone is on an even competitive keel.

Baseball needs to accept it's history. Put Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Clemens and some of those other guys in the HoF and be done with it.

I tend to agree.  It's the hypocrisy and willful blindness about the whole thing that rubs me the wrong way.  73 isn't the "real" HR record we're told.  If Judge hits 61, he's the legit HR champion, because he never juiced.  Except, we honestly have no idea if he has or he hasn't.  The only thing that matters is what the record book says.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2022, 03:06:16 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

I tend to agree.  It's the hypocrisy and willful blindness about the whole thing that rubs me the wrong way.  73 isn't the "real" HR record we're told.  If Judge hits 61, he's the legit HR champion, because he never juiced.  Except, we honestly have no idea if he has or he hasn't.  The only thing that matters is what the record book says.

Roy this is a very interesting discussion point, but I do think we have to give mlb credit for being the league that actually has teeth beyond their suspensions. They have suspended players like Fernando Tatís, Robinson cano and Frankie montas in the last few years alone when they were all star caliber players or better. The nba was suspending the likes of rashard Lewis or turkolu (post prime) for ten games. If there is one sport that has made an honest effort to clean up it is mlb.

« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2022, 07:31:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Roy this is a very interesting discussion point, but I do think we have to give mlb credit for being the league that actually has teeth beyond their suspensions. They have suspended players like Fernando Tatís, Robinson cano and Frankie montas in the last few years alone when they were all star caliber players or better. The nba was suspending the likes of rashard Lewis or turkolu (post prime) for ten games. If there is one sport that has made an honest effort to clean up it is mlb.

I agree, baseball actually provides a disincentive to cheat.

But, with the way drugs constantly evolve, I think it's laughable to think that MLB is clean, or that the 1990s were full of juice heads and we're back to the old days.  But, really, the entire issue of declaring some players clean and others dirty just rubs me the wrong way.  Look at Sammy Sosa:  the only test he (allegedly) failed was the same one Big Papi failed.  There's nobody testing that he used.  But, because he hit 66 HRs, he's presumed dirty and ineligible.

I know that for some, the thought of steroids ruins the purity of the sport.  For me, it's been the same in reverse.  I've enjoyed Judge's HR chase (even as a Yankee), but the sanctimoniousness of some -- calling him the "true HR king" and all that nonsense -- has made me enjoy it less.  As nick said, let's judge the guys for what they do on the field.  Then, the individual leagues can determine how much they care about enforcing rules against PED use.

« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2022, 10:29:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I agree, baseball actually provides a disincentive to cheat.

But, with the way drugs constantly evolve, I think it's laughable to think that MLB is clean, or that the 1990s were full of juice heads and we're back to the old days.  But, really, the entire issue of declaring some players clean and others dirty just rubs me the wrong way.  Look at Sammy Sosa:  the only test he (allegedly) failed was the same one Big Papi failed.  There's nobody testing that he used.  But, because he hit 66 HRs, he's presumed dirty and ineligible.

I know that for some, the thought of steroids ruins the purity of the sport.  For me, it's been the same in reverse.  I've enjoyed Judge's HR chase (even as a Yankee), but the sanctimoniousness of some -- calling him the "true HR king" and all that nonsense -- has made me enjoy it less.  As nick said, let's judge the guys for what they do on the field.  Then, the individual leagues can determine how much they care about enforcing rules against PED use.
Exactly. Let the fans enjoy and stop the renouncing of those in the steroid era. The MLB executives had no problem embracing those steroid infused players when they needed them to hit HRs like crazy to bring fans back after labor disputes. Those execs had no issue juicing and then deadening the ball.

Just accept it all. Records are records regardless of era. Stop with the idiotic way they view "steroid" guys and embrace the history because the league had no issue with them when they needed them desperately.

« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2022, 11:40:31 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

The home run chase between McGwire and Sosa was celebrated pretty unconditionally too while it was happening. 

« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2022, 12:50:37 PM »

• Satch Sanders
I may be biased, because Mark McGwire is my all-time favorite player, but I agree with those above who have criticized the hypocrisy. The Great Home Run Chase of 1998 between McGwire and Sosa saved baseball. Period. America's pastime was dead in the water because of labor disputes, but that amazing battle saved the sport, and whatever those two might've been taking (McGwire was taking andro, which wasn't even illegal at the time, though maybe he did steroids too), MLB (and all the reporters covering the chase) gave their full stamp of approval despite knowing (or at least suspecting) what was going on.

Some might say that MLB had to be okay with it if they wanted their industry to survive, but that's not the point; the point is that you don't bite the hand that feeds you. And McGwire and Sosa did all the feeding.

It also seems clear to me that guys such as Clemens, Bonds, and A-Rod were Hall of Famers even before they started taking anything illegal. I acknowledge that McGwire's case for the Hall is less definitive, but I think his case is strong—11th all-time in homers (583), 10th in slugging (.588), 13th in OPS (.982), Rookie of the Year, 12-time all-star, 3-time Silver Slugger, and one Gold Glove for good measure.

Anyway, the hypocrisy needs to end.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2022, 03:53:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Either way Judge will be the American League leader since the only guys with more than Maris are all in the National League. 

Judge is having perhaps the most impressive season since Ruth hit 60 HR's in 1927.  That season Ruth led the league in HR's (Gehrig had 47, Lazzeri had 18 and was 3rd in the league), Runs, Walks, OBPS, Slugging, WAR, and was 2nd in RBI's, 7th in BA (he hit .356).

This year Judge is leading the league in HR's, Runs, OBPS, Slugging WAR, RBI's, and BA (best in AL, 4th in MLB), and basically every single other meaningful offensive stat (except hits, doubles, and times on base, darn you Freddie Freeman), which obviously includes him winning the traditional AL triple crown if the season ended today.  And while obviously the 3rd place HR hitter isn't below 20, Schwarber right now is at 40, so a bigger game between Judge and him than there was between Ruth and Gehrig. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2022, 03:59:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Either way Judge will be the American League leader since the only guys with more than Maris are all in the National League. 

Judge is having perhaps the most impressive season since Ruth hit 60 HR's in 1927.  That season Ruth led the league in HR's (Gehrig had 47, Lazzeri had 18 and was 3rd in the league), Runs, Walks, OBPS, Slugging, WAR, and was 2nd in RBI's, 7th in BA (he hit .356).

This year Judge is leading the league in HR's, Runs, OBPS, Slugging WAR, RBI's, and BA (best in AL, 4th in MLB), and basically every single other meaningful offensive stat (except hits, doubles, and times on base, darn you Freddie Freeman), which obviously includes him winning the traditional AL triple crown if the season ended today.  And while obviously the 3rd place HR hitter isn't below 20, Schwarber right now is at 40, so a bigger game between Judge and him than there was between Ruth and Gehrig.

Yeah, winning the triple crown with 60+ HRs would be one of the greatest seasons ever.

I don't know how I'd compare it to Ted Williams' or Barry Bonds' best.

« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2022, 04:59:35 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Yeah, winning the triple crown with 60+ HRs would be one of the greatest seasons ever.

I don't know how I'd compare it to Ted Williams' or Barry Bonds' best.

Speaking of Bonds, I'm astounded that teams aren't pitching around Judge like they pitched around Bonds. Judge is obviously a great player, but I feel like guys have just been serving him some serious meat pitches recently. Like the hanging curve that Pivetta gave him a couple weeks ago. Like, why?

— C.S. Lewis