Author Topic: MLB owners vote for lockout  (Read 23945 times)

Re: MLB owners vote for lockout
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2022, 05:41:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
What a dumb, freakin' league.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2022, 10:11:24 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
So in one of the darkest days for the sport in a very long time... why is Manfred at the podium laughing??  :o Like yikes dude.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2022, 03:25:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I guess there’s a “tentative “ deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2022, 03:29:21 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Spring training as early as tomorrow. Opening day April 7
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2022, 03:31:32 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Still on track for 162?

Sorry if that’s a stupid question… haven’t kept up with this much.

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2022, 03:36:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Still on track for 162?

Sorry if that’s a stupid question… haven’t kept up with this much.

They’re saying they can make 162 work.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2022, 03:43:39 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Haven't had to pay attention to this CBA so I haven't -- anyone have a good rundown on what changed? I'm reading bits and pieces that it's mostly an ownership-favoured deal (i.e. more or less more or the same).
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2022, 03:46:17 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Haven't had to pay attention to this CBA so I haven't -- anyone have a good rundown on what changed? I'm reading bits and pieces that it's mostly an ownership-favoured deal (i.e. more or less more or the same).
This ESPN article has a decent breakdown.  Obviously the news just broke so I'm sure more information will come out.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33470321/sources-mlb-union-reach-tentative-agreement-new-cba-salvage-162-game-season

From a fan perspective the things of note are 12 teams making the playoffs and the NL finally adopting the DH.  Plus they are allowing advertising on the jerseys and helmets, which may look weird for awhile.

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2022, 04:01:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered.

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2022, 04:37:52 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
I am extremely pleased.  Next to being an obvious Celtics fan, I am a huge Red Sox fan.  I've been a participant in a fantasy baseball private league for 10 years.  I can't wait until the season starts.  Go Cs and Go Bosox!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2022, 04:48:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
This ESPN article has a decent breakdown.  Obviously the news just broke so I'm sure more information will come out.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33470321/sources-mlb-union-reach-tentative-agreement-new-cba-salvage-162-game-season

From a fan perspective the things of note are 12 teams making the playoffs and the NL finally adopting the DH.  Plus they are allowing advertising on the jerseys and helmets, which may look weird for awhile.

The Universal DH will take some getting used to.  More scoring, less strategy.

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2022, 06:03:21 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

The Universal DH will take some getting used to.  More scoring, less strategy.

If they end up implementing a rule to ban shifts (as mentioned in the article), that would have a similar effect too.

I don't mind the DH rule, but I can't support banning shifts. You should be rewarding teams that are being strategic, not punish them. But then again, they're playing for "a piece of metal" (no, I'm still not over that)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2022, 12:19:08 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm glad for the universal DH. I know that not everyone agrees with the idea, but, as cool as it is to see the (rare) big hit from a pitcher, pitchers are usually automatic outs, and I'm sure that NL pitchers (when they pitch) get a stat boost from facing so many weak-hitting pitcher-hitters, so comparing NL pitchers to AL pitchers has been a bit unfair.

Also, having the DH be an AL-only rule has actually been an advantage to the NL team in the World Series, because the NL team, which reached the World Series without the help of a DH, suddenly gets an offensive boost for games in AL parks, whereas the AL team, which relies on the DH, suddenly has to go without one in NL parks. And in order to keep their DH in the lineup at NL parks, they need to put a guy in the field who isn't used to playing in the field. I totally understand where anti-DHers are coming from—the traditionalist "pitchers should hit" and "hitters should field" concepts, and more strategy—but I think that both leagues, at minimum, should be the same—both with DH, or both with no DH. And since I like more offense, I want the DH.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2022, 08:02:46 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered.

Chickens get fried ?   ;D

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2022, 08:23:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I'm glad for the universal DH. I know that not everyone agrees with the idea, but, as cool as it is to see the (rare) big hit from a pitcher, pitchers are usually automatic outs, and I'm sure that NL pitchers (when they pitch) get a stat boost from facing so many weak-hitting pitcher-hitters, so comparing NL pitchers to AL pitchers has been a bit unfair.

Also, having the DH be an AL-only rule has actually been an advantage to the NL team in the World Series, because the NL team, which reached the World Series without the help of a DH, suddenly gets an offensive boost for games in AL parks, whereas the AL team, which relies on the DH, suddenly has to go without one in NL parks. And in order to keep their DH in the lineup at NL parks, they need to put a guy in the field who isn't used to playing in the field. I totally understand where anti-DHers are coming from—the traditionalist "pitchers should hit" and "hitters should field" concepts, and more strategy—but I think that both leagues, at minimum, should be the same—both with DH, or both with no DH. And since I like more offense, I want the DH.
I actually think the inverse has been the case i.e. because the AL teams have a DH slot, they have a much better hitter in that role than the NL teams do and as you say it isn't like the NL pitchers who hit regularly provide much of a boost.  So the AL teams have a bigger advantage in actually staffing a DH position, while the NL teams do not staff that position and thus have a random backup in it.