Author Topic: Which Bigs Do You Like in this Draft?  (Read 22630 times)

Re: Which Bigs Do You Like in this Draft?
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2019, 10:55:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
82games position estimates oh my  :-[. Did you even look at anything other than the by position PER?

Love to extrapolate things based on 155 minutes compared to 1745 minutes.

Yeah I looked at it all.

And I need something to support what I see with my eyes, there are not alot of sites that track minutes by position and build stats from off of that.

This site does.

And Horford HAD to play that many minutes at Center this season, cause of need. With Baynes injured so much there was no other choice. There was alot more minuts the previous season when baynes was able to play more.

And Guess what, front court defense was better and team won more games with Al at the PF spot.
I think Al Horford is as good at PF as at center so to me it doesn't matter where he plays, he is a massive plus either way. But I did want to address above. It's statistically impossible for Al to have won more game at PF last year.

basketball_reference.com has Al playing just 8% of his time at PF last year, which correlates with 82games.com minute numbers. 8% of 82 games is 7 games. If Boston won all 7 games then they won only 42 games with Horford at center. So the statement is false.

Now if you want to claim Horford's winning percentage was better when playing center, well, good luck proving that as he played both positions in a ton of games last year and in earlier years so that is going to be very difficult to prove and probably would require a ton of research, unless NBA.com has those stats. I did a quick look and couldn't find anything on it.

Whether Al plays better at PF or C is debatable, but it also is probably irrelevant. The Celtics best scorers are 3 wings, and all 3 need to play together for the team to succeed at it's highest level. Al Horford benefits the team best at the 5 because he can space the floor an run pick and rolls/dribble hand offs with our wings. Playing him with the 3 wings is best for the team and that's why he will play the 5.
While I agree that the three wings need to be the offensive focus, I don't agree all three need to be on the floor together for the team to succeed at it's highest level.

I think Stevens needs to have two of Hayward, Brown and Tatum on the floor at all times for this team to succeed and limit the three wing offense. There will be matchups where the three wing offense makes sense but against teams like Philly, Denver, Milwaukee, Utah, Portland, Toronto, etc(teams that can throw size at you with a very big rolling to the basket), that wing set will get defensively exposed. It sure did this year

« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2019, 10:59:53 AM »

Online LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Danny will draft 3 guards

He will undoubtedly draft 3 wings or 3 undersized big men.
- LilRip

« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2019, 11:00:10 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I expect one of the picks gets traded as Woj and Himmelsbach have both suggested it. If we do keep all 3 picks I would be happy with 3 guards. We are really thin at guard right now  and the NBA is a perimeter game.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2019, 11:03:24 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
82games position estimates oh my  :-[. Did you even look at anything other than the by position PER?

Yeah I looked at it all.

And I need something to support what I see with my eyes, there are not alot of sites that track minutes by position and build stats from off of that.

This site does.

And Horford HAD to play that many minutes at Center this season, cause of need. With Baynes injured so much there was no other choice. There was alot more minuts the previous season when baynes was able to play more.

And Guess what, front court defense was better and team won more games with Al at the PF spot.
I think Al Horford is as good at PF as at center so to me it doesn't matter where he plays, he is a massive plus either way. But I did want to address above. It's statistically impossible for Al to have won more game at PF last year.

basketball_reference.com has Al playing just 8% of his time at PF last year, which correlates with 82games.com minute numbers. 8% of 82 games is 7 games. If Boston won all 7 games then they won only 42 games with Horford at center. So the statement is false.

Now if you want to claim Horford's winning percentage was better when playing center, well, good luck proving that as he played both positions in a ton of games last year and in earlier years so that is going to be very difficult to prove and probably would require a ton of research, unless NBA.com has those stats. I did a quick look and couldn't find anything on it.

Whether Al plays better at PF or C is debatable, but it also is probably irrelevant. The Celtics best scorers are 3 wings, and all 3 need to play together for the team to succeed at it's highest level. Al Horford benefits the team best at the 5 because he can space the floor an run pick and rolls/dribble hand offs with our wings. Playing him with the 3 wings is best for the team and that's why he will play the 5.
While I agree that the three wings need to be the offensive focus, I don't agree all three need to be on the floor together for the team to succeed at it's highest level.

I think Stevens needs to have two of Hayward, Brown and Tatum on the floor at all times for this team to succeed and limit the three wing offense. There will be matchups where the three wing offense makes sense but against teams like Philly, Denver, Milwaukee, Utah, Portland, Toronto, etc(teams that can throw size at you with a very big rolling to the basket), that wing set will get defensively exposed. It sure did this year
That's fair. With the problems due to lack of touches last year I don't think we can bring any of those 3 off the bench. I expect them all 3 to start or i think it could cause issues. After they start the game I could see them being staggered with plenty of lineups with Al at the 4 next to either Baynes or Timelord.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2019, 11:12:42 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

LOL.....you know it .    Undersize everybody and no centers with height or talent.   only way you get centers is either be Lakers and get them for by simply  opening a spot on the roster or TANK your butt off like Philly .   Otherwise Boston will never get another star big .

« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2019, 11:16:02 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yeah I looked at it all.

This site does.

That's fair. With the problems due to lack of touches last year I don't think we can bring any of those 3 off the bench. I expect them all 3 to start or i think it could cause issues. After they start the game I could see them being staggered with plenty of lineups with Al at the 4 next to either Baynes or Timelord.
I suspect that will be the case with the 3 of them starting with Al and whomever they trot out as the starting PG.  probably see them stagger the substitution pattern to keep 2 of them on the floor at all times while likely mixing in time for Morris at PF (figure he'll be resigned) and Baynes/Williams at Center. 

IF, a very serious 'if', Hayward can bounce back to Utah Hayward by the end of the season and Brown/Tatum make the improvements this season we expected last year, this is still a potent roster that can get through the Eastern conference playoffs.  question is can someone be that go-to scorer we hoped Kyrie would be in the playoffs until he flamed out badly in the last 4 games against Milwaukee.

« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2019, 11:18:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I expect one of the picks gets traded as Woj and Himmelsbach have both suggested it. If we do keep all 3 picks I would be happy with 3 guards. We are really thin at guard right now  and the NBA is a perimeter game.

The thing about trading these picks is it doesn't seem like they will have much value at all.  Is a late 1st in this draft worth a future 1st?  Probably not, right?  It's probably worth a couple second rounders.

By all accounts this isn't a draft where trading up makes sense and it's weak enough that there probably won't be any teams interested in trading future valuable picks for any current picks.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2019, 11:20:27 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I have to say the idea of Bazley has grown on me at pick 20.

« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2019, 11:21:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
agreed, would be surprised if Danny doesn't trade at least 1 of the picks with Yabu for a vet off the bench or for a future first. 

going into the draft, I figure Danny will do what he usually does and take BPA regardless of position.    hopefully that's not a wing at the time the remaining picks come up.   With AD off the board, I'm far more interested in seeing how that Memphis pick turns out in the next year or two since it's unlikely to go anywhere now.

« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2019, 11:23:29 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Many mocks have Bruno Fernando dropped to late in the first round. My simple question is: why?

From what I have seen from Fernando he looks like the most safe option to pick if you're looking for a starting caliber center.
Is it just that he doesn't have a skill that blows you away?

Bruno Fernando is a terrific rebounder, NBA-body, good athlete for his size, a rim protector, good post defender, potential switching ability, decent passer, excellent free throw shooter, developable jumpshot, strong finisher at the rim, willing screen setter, good motor, shown willingness to work on his game.

He's so allround that I believe he should be picked in the top 10 of the draft. If Fernando is available at #14 and the Celtics pick him I might wake up my neighbours. 

I'm convinced that if we have Fernando and Williams that our center problem is solved for a decade.

Love Fernando, not sure why he is dropping. He has been top 10 all along, and when I looked at mocks this morning for the first time in a week or more, there he is, pushing pick 20.

No way Dany lets him go past him at 14. no way.

everything about this kid screams that he is hungry. Very Siakim like.

He can start right away in the NBA, moves Al to the 4.

Also really like Samanic.
I like Fernando, but if him and Bitadze are available at #14 Danny should pick Goga.

NOoooooo.

Completely disagree.

Fernando is an Elite Athlete. Elite.
Very long, very bouncy, great form on his jumper with a quick trigger, Range out to NBA 3 easily. great rebounding instincts.

Fernando has a higher ceiling than Goga based on physical profile alone.

not saying I would hate the Goga pick, I think he will be a solid pro. Not stellar, but solid. but I do think that some of what makes Goga good is replications of what Al does. Bruno is a better fit beside Al, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeHSH5dw3qA
Absolutely disagree with you as well. Elite athlete, yes, but he's not elite size wise. He's 6'10.25 with a 7'3.25 wingspan, which is not much better, if at all compared to Goga (6'11.5, 7'2 wingspan), who somehow from your post seems to be lacking in terms of size and length. Although he's not as athletic, he has more than enough athleticism to defend the perimeter and compete with opposing big men. His shot is also comparable to Fernando's (if not better, as he's proven to have a bit more range), with very solid shooting stats in Europe on decent volume. His ball handling and passing are much more advanced, and has a great nose for both offensive and defensive caroms. BTW he has an absurdly high FT rate for an "unathletic big man", which bodes well for his ceiling (most superstars in the league draw a lot of fouls for easy points). I wouldn't hate the Fernando pick, but he would be the solid pro with a good physical profile compared to Bitadze, a big man with less athleticism but better skills and polish to his game to make an all round impact on the team. And isn't having more playmaking and ballhandling in your frontcourt a good thing? Goga can still provide things that Al needs from a frontcourt partner (interior defense, rebounding, and a big body to take some pressure off of him).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2019, 11:37:28 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Many mocks have Bruno Fernando dropped to late in the first round. My simple question is: why?

From what I have seen from Fernando he looks like the most safe option to pick if you're looking for a starting caliber center.

Bruno Fernando is a terrific rebounder, NBA-body, good athlete for his size, a rim protector, good post defender, potential switching ability, decent passer, excellent free throw shooter, developable jumpshot, strong finisher at the rim, willing screen setter, good motor, shown willingness to work on his game.

He's so allround that I believe he should be picked in the top 10 of the draft. If Fernando is available at #14 and the Celtics pick him I might wake up my neighbours. 

I'm convinced that if we have Fernando and Williams that our center problem is solved for a decade.

Love Fernando, not sure why he is dropping. He has been top 10 all along, and when I looked at mocks this morning for the first time in a week or more, there he is, pushing pick 20.

I like Fernando, but if him and Bitadze are available at #14 Danny should pick Goga.

NOoooooo.

Completely disagree.

Very long, very bouncy, great form on his jumper with a quick trigger, Range out to NBA 3 easily. great rebounding instincts.

not saying I would hate the Goga pick, I think he will be a solid pro. Not stellar, but solid. but I do think that some of what makes Goga good is replications of what Al does. Bruno is a better fit beside Al, imo.

Absolutely disagree with you as well. Elite athlete, yes, but he's not elite size wise. He's 6'10.25 with a 7'3.25 wingspan, which is not much better, if at all compared to Goga (6'11.5, 7'2 wingspan), who somehow from your post seems to be lacking in terms of size and length. Although he's not as athletic, he has more than enough athleticism to defend the perimeter and compete with opposing big men. His shot is also comparable to Fernando's (if not better, as he's proven to have a bit more range), with very solid shooting stats in Europe on decent volume. His ball handling and passing are much more advanced, and has a great nose for both offensive and defensive caroms. BTW he has an absurdly high FT rate for an "unathletic big man", which bodes well for his ceiling (most superstars in the league draw a lot of fouls for easy points). I wouldn't hate the Fernando pick, but he would be the solid pro with a good physical profile compared to Bitadze, a big man with less athleticism but better skills and polish to his game to make an all round impact on the team. And isn't having more playmaking and ballhandling in your frontcourt a good thing? Goga can still provide things that Al needs from a frontcourt partner (interior defense, rebounding, and a big body to take some pressure off of him).

I dont believe I stated that Goga was unathletic, just that Brunos is off the charts.

Also, I stated Goga has the higher floor, but I believe that Bruno has the higher ceiling.

« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2019, 11:40:58 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

NOoooooo.

Completely disagree.

I dont believe I stated that Goga was unathletic, just that Brunos is off the charts.

Also, I stated Goga has the higher floor, but I believe that Bruno has the higher ceiling.
I believe that Goga has both the higher floor and ceiling lol. And true.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2019, 11:59:58 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
have you tried using a topical cream?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2019, 12:12:43 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I'm on board.

High risk - high reward kind of a pick, but at 20s, in a perceived weak draft, why not swing for the fences? His physical gifts are intriguing.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2019, 12:31:22 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

NOoooooo.

Completely disagree.

I believe that Goga has both the higher floor and ceiling lol. And true.

the more I see and read the more I like him, but I am still a bit higher on Bruno.

Bruno just seems like he has that hunger and drive, The improvement he has shown in college speaks volumes to how much work he puts in. Couple that with his motor and anthleticism and he just comes off like a bigger Pascal Siakam to me.

I would not be disappointed either way