Author Topic: Antoine is attempting another comeback...  (Read 18690 times)

Antoine is attempting another comeback...
« on: November 29, 2010, 11:22:06 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
... this time in the D-League:

Walker could soon be signing a contract with the NBA Development League, possibly as soon as Monday, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.

Walker, 34, averaged 17.5 points and 7.7 rebounds over the course of his 12-year NBA career but wasn't able to earn an NBA training camp invite with the Charlotte Bobcats earlier this year after showing up to practice with them in September, a career move that seemingly signaled the end of domestic relevance for the former three-point 'shimmy'er.

While it isn't surprising that Walker wasn't able to earn a training camp spot with the Bobcats amid their glut of tweener forwards, ESPN's Marc Stein reported at the time that Walker was in very good shape, reporting that multiple witnesses who had seen Walker playing and working out with famed trainer Tim Grover in Chicago said "that Walker looks as fit as he has for some time."

If Walker continued to stay in shape, and one would believe that is probably the case considering his need to make a bit of cash in light of some recent legal trouble, the D-League might be the best option for him. He'll be able to show that he is serious about an NBA comeback and staying in shape -- two issues that might not have been as evident to NBA decision makers had he opted to play overseas. . . .

Walker's most recent professional playing experience came in March as he played eight games in Puerto Rico with the Mets de Guaynabo and averaged 12.4 points and 8.6 rebounds, though he hit just six of his 27 attempts from beyond the arc on a team that also featured former NBA player Marcus Fizer.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/11/29/antoine-walker-planning-comeback-in-d-league-per-league-sources/

With any luck, he'll end up with the Red Claws. ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Antoine is attempting another comeback...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:23:42 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
The Heat are looking for help. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:50:53 AM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
or the Armor... I'd pay $12 to seem him play ball in my backyard. Maybe he can do the wiggle for old times sake.
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:03:46 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
ESPN has picked up on the story: Toine to Idaho:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5863744

Another nugget from this report: Antonio Daniels is playing for Dallas' D-League affiliate. For those who were wondering what happened to him, now you know.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 05:15:31 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
FYI, Toine was signed by the Idaho Stampede.   

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5863744

Wow.  For MJ to not even give his Friend even a shot at making the Bobcat team....That's pretty cold of him.   >:(

I mean it was MJ who "introduced" Toine to Gambling in the first place and Toine only followed MJ's Example.   Barkley was right(B-Ball Players are NOT Role Models).  

I know MJ doesn't owe Toine anything but he couldn't at least give him the Chance to fail?   man....

Oh well....At least he'll be playing something close to professional Basketball again.  And since I have NBA TV, I might just catch an Idaho Stampede game to see how he does....

All things considering....Yes, he was released from Puerto Rico but 12.4 Points and over 8 Boards a game is nothing to sneeze at.   I think he has something left in the tank to at least make it as a ROLEPLAYER in the NBA if someone would just give him a chance.    

I mean...our issue here in Beantown was always about his Contract and him being Overpaid, for example.  If he was paid the minimum and gave out numbers like he did in the Puerto Rican League, he'd be a pretty good bargain for some team out there in NBA land.

GOOD LUCK, TOINE.  

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:30:31 PM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177
Bringing "championship experience" to the d-league, man.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 07:10:30 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The Heat are looking for help. 

He’s better than Bosh.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 07:26:09 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'm really pulling for the guy.  He seems like a decent human being, and at this point, I suspect, would have a genuine appreciation of any opportunity he gets.

Those 3pt shots, though...like a spin of the roulette wheel...

But as a rebounder, I'm pretty sure he's still got it.  And that alone should put him on a roster (over, say, Shelden Williams).

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 07:42:10 PM »

Offline wazutruth20

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Nate and Shaq in a stare-down. HAHA
After all those memories in a Boston uniform, nothing would make me happier than seeing Antoine make a comeback to the NBA. If he does get a call-up from Portland (Idaho's affiliate) I'll for sure be in the stands with my old #8 jersey.

Good luck Antoine!

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 08:13:42 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
For anyone interested, here's a link to the Idaho schedule:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/idaho/schedule/

The games that are probably the most interest to people on this board are coming up quick:

12/16    @ Maine      5:00pm           
12/18    @ Springfield   5:00pm           
12/19    @ Maine      3:00pm   

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 09:07:43 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
We should be calling him up and offering him to sign a veterans min deal for this year. With Delonte out indefinetly and Rondo hamstring isuues. Antoine could possibly backup Pierce with 12- 15 minutes at the 3 and slide Marquis over to the 2 to backup Ray.

This is a veteran team. Antoine is a veteran player. I dont believe he would any problem fitting in.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 09:08:38 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Good for him.  I hope it works out.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We should be calling him up and offering him to sign a veterans min deal for this year. With Delonte out indefinetly and Rondo hamstring isuues. Antoine could possibly backup Pierce with 12- 15 minutes at the 3 and slide Marquis over to the 2 to backup Ray.

This is a veteran team. Antoine is a veteran player. I dont believe he would any problem fitting in.

Antoine struggled at SF in his prime.  I think it's pretty likely that he'd be worse there now, after being out of the league for two years.

I'd love to see Antoine back here as a towel waver, but I don't think he could be a contributor.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 09:15:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Erm, Toine couldn't play SF when he was in the peak of his career, what makes you think he's any soft of a solution right now?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 09:21:15 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCG-gHg-CbQ

I’m pulling for ‘Toine so much.