Poll

Should we Shift it up the 82 schedule for less overlap with NHL Playoffs?

Shift it up for this season only so we can get 82 games
1 (33.3%)
Shift it up permanently, use the lockout as an opportunity to do this
1 (33.3%)
Don't alter the schedule at all, play whatever games we have left
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Should we Shift it up the 82 game schedule for less overlap with NHL Playoffs?  (Read 1575 times)

Offline eighteen

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Here is an idea,

Let's just shift the whole thing up a month, month and a half or two so the NBA can get more focus in the playoffs as the NHL is on the rise. So the NHL season starts in October then the NBA Starts late November to mid december and we get to start the first round of playoffs around the time the NHL is finishing up.

This could help alleviate scheduling conflicts as NBA & NHL teams often occupy the same areans in most markets that have both.

Or maybe there is another reason to shift it up, what do you think?

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
While the NHL is on the rise, I don't think the NBA has much to worry about it when it comes to grabbing attention in playoff season. Hockey's still a regional sport, and definitely doesn't host the national attention basketball does.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
no need to shift to later in the year.  season ends too late as it is.  Also, the only issue the NBA would have with the NHL is over arena availability.  NBA is still far ahead of NHL in terms of fan volume and marketing savvy. 

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
The last thing they need is to push this thing into July.

The season already drags on and, personally, I love having the NBA and NHL playoffs going on at the same time.  Its especially great when you have same city teams like the Bruins & Celtics playing every other night.  I love that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Shifting back is the only thing that might make sense.  Less time going up against the NFL is a good thing for ratings. 

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Ultimately, I think the answer is somewhere in the middle.  If (and that's a big if) they get a deal done, and decide to do an 82 game season, I think they would have to extend the season later into April, however, I don't think they would just pin the missed games on at the end.  Most likely they would put about half of them on at the end, and then fit the rest of them in at various points throughout the regular season.  So, they would essentially push the playoffs back to about May 1, and play a slightly more compressed season.