Author Topic: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive  (Read 203172 times)

Re: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive
« Reply #435 on: April 15, 2020, 04:04:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not trying to go after you guys specifically - I think I've just been inunndated with a lot of the people on FB that have way too much time on their hands (I guess that includes me since I am looking at FB again) totally going after FL lately while ignoring the problems in their home states.

I would agree that the north and interior of FL (with the glaring exception of Orlando) have some interesting people that I mostly avoid, but it is exhausting hearing people go after FL all the time. Again, not you guys specifically, but I tend to think there is quite a bit of jealousy with the no winter thing. I'm even lucky enough to leave in the summer time.

Btw, St. Pete has gotten exponentially better in the 10 years since I've moved here - super artsy and vibrant. They honestly have no use for the Rays anymore - it's that cool on its own.

« Reply #436 on: April 15, 2020, 05:06:59 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I’ve lived in Florida a large chunk of my life and can confirm it is filled with druggies, weird people, corrupt politicians, and some areas are like a 3rd world Country

The criticism is valid.

« Reply #437 on: April 15, 2020, 05:36:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Back on subject, the mayors of New York and Los Angeles, just said that there will be, most likely, no sports played in their cities in 2020.

Huge sports news.

Edit: Mayor of New Orleans saying same thing and this includes other large gatherings like concerts, Broadway plays,  high school and college graduations, etc.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 06:04:07 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #438 on: April 27, 2020, 01:24:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Los Angeles Lakers have returned approximately $4.6 million that they received from a federal government program intended to help small businesses weather the economic burden caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the team said in a statement to ESPN on Monday.

The Lakers, one of the NBA's most profitable franchises, applied for relief through the Small Business Administration's Paycheck Protection Program, and were among the companies and nonprofits granted loans during the first round of distributions. But after reports that several large or highly capitalized entities were securing aid from the program's initial $349 billion pool -- while hundreds of thousands of smaller businesses were shut out -- the Lakers said they returned the money.

Such a scumbag move. I hope the Celtics and other teams didn’t stoop so low.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #439 on: April 27, 2020, 01:46:42 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
The Los Angeles Lakers have returned approximately $4.6 million that they received from a federal government program intended to help small businesses weather the economic burden caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the team said in a statement to ESPN on Monday.

The Lakers, one of the NBA's most profitable franchises, applied for relief through the Small Business Administration's Paycheck Protection Program, and were among the companies and nonprofits granted loans during the first round of distributions. But after reports that several large or highly capitalized entities were securing aid from the program's initial $349 billion pool -- while hundreds of thousands of smaller businesses were shut out -- the Lakers said they returned the money.

Please, please, please make it the the Lakers are the only team that did this.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #440 on: April 27, 2020, 01:56:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Please, please, please make it the the Lakers are the only team that did this.

You may get your wish. CNBC reporting that no other team received, or even applied for the loan
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #441 on: April 30, 2020, 11:06:28 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

« Reply #442 on: April 30, 2020, 10:26:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
From what I've been reading tonight it sure sounds like the NBA is determined to finish this season out one way or another.  When that will happen is still quite uncertain, and it's clear Silver is not taking this lightly and is giving adequate consideration to all aspects, but it sure seems like it is highly unlikely they will cancel the season.

Silver has repeatedly told teams he remains determined for the season to culminate with a champion. Between now and then, if the league office had any doubts that decision-making would become painstaking and polarizing during these times, this past weekend reminded them of the scrutiny that awaits every decision. The process of simply reopening practice facilities for players to do brief, individual workouts turned into something of a back-and-forth between league and front-office executives.

With facilities closed and access to almost anything but private home gymnasiums forbidden, the NBPA shared with league officials how eager players are to have access to team buildings again. There were fears of player exoduses to unauthorized gymnasiums, as states such as Georgia and Florida reopen.

As the NBA finalized with health agencies and experts on the precautions and processes needed for teams to reopen practice facilities in markets loosening stay-at-home restrictions, officials shared the broad strokes of a plan in a memo to about half the league's owners on Saturday afternoon. Within a few hours, ESPN reported the news. Almost immediately, the league office felt blowback from teams. General managers spent Saturday and Sunday on the phone with each other and the league, trying to understand the purpose, the timing, the safety issues -- as well as alternatives for teams outside of those selected markets.

By Monday, following further conversations with teams, the NBA had pushed the date to May 8 and furnished teams with a 16-page memo on procedures required to bring back players into facilities.

Silver has publicly and privately insisted he couldn't abide his league gobbling up tests to resume a basketball season if the general public and medical professionals are without mass access to tests. Once the NBA shared its guidelines with teams on protocols for bringing players into the facility for workouts, it prohibited the use of tests on players unless they were showing Covid-19 symptoms, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29119309/inside-nba-urgent-decisions-tries-finish-season

LeBron James has also weighed in:

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/1255912096929165312

« Reply #443 on: April 30, 2020, 10:34:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
From what I've been reading tonight it sure sounds like the NBA is determined to finish this season out one way or another.  When that will happen is still quite uncertain, and it's clear Silver is not taking this lightly and is giving adequate consideration to all aspects, but it sure seems like it is highly unlikely they will cancel the season.

Silver has repeatedly told teams he remains determined for the season to culminate with a champion. Between now and then, if the league office had any doubts that decision-making would become painstaking and polarizing during these times, this past weekend reminded them of the scrutiny that awaits every decision. The process of simply reopening practice facilities for players to do brief, individual workouts turned into something of a back-and-forth between league and front-office executives.

With facilities closed and access to almost anything but private home gymnasiums forbidden, the NBPA shared with league officials how eager players are to have access to team buildings again. There were fears of player exoduses to unauthorized gymnasiums, as states such as Georgia and Florida reopen.

As the NBA finalized with health agencies and experts on the precautions and processes needed for teams to reopen practice facilities in markets loosening stay-at-home restrictions, officials shared the broad strokes of a plan in a memo to about half the league's owners on Saturday afternoon. Within a few hours, ESPN reported the news. Almost immediately, the league office felt blowback from teams. General managers spent Saturday and Sunday on the phone with each other and the league, trying to understand the purpose, the timing, the safety issues -- as well as alternatives for teams outside of those selected markets.

By Monday, following further conversations with teams, the NBA had pushed the date to May 8 and furnished teams with a 16-page memo on procedures required to bring back players into facilities.

Silver has publicly and privately insisted he couldn't abide his league gobbling up tests to resume a basketball season if the general public and medical professionals are without mass access to tests. Once the NBA shared its guidelines with teams on protocols for bringing players into the facility for workouts, it prohibited the use of tests on players unless they were showing Covid-19 symptoms, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29119309/inside-nba-urgent-decisions-tries-finish-season

Here's my question though. What if they test players and even just 1 or 2 guys test positive, or fall sick. So do the games get shutdown again? Also, there are already players who have fallen ill, and/or have loved ones who tested positive or unfortunately passed away. Are we sure all these players are willing to come back in the next few months if the pandemic continues putting themselves and their families at risk. I'm not as convinced. I think there's way too much to consider and I can see why GMs and execs are concerned.

And will they return with a few regular season games, then playoffs, or just playoffs right away. Personally, if I was a bad team that wasn't making the playoffs anyways, I'd probably not want to return and put myself at greater risk.

« Reply #444 on: April 30, 2020, 10:54:48 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Here's my question though. What if they test players and even just 1 or 2 guys test positive, or fall sick. So do the games get shutdown again? Also, there are already players who have fallen ill, and/or have loved ones who tested positive or unfortunately passed away. Are we sure all these players are willing to come back in the next few months if the pandemic continues putting themselves and their families at risk. I'm not as convinced. I think there's way too much to consider and I can see why GMs and execs are concerned.

And will they return with a few regular season games, then playoffs, or just playoffs right away. Personally, if I was a bad team that wasn't making the playoffs anyways, I'd probably not want to return and put myself at greater risk.

I don't have any answers to the questions you're asking.  I'd be willing to go out and play today but I suppose it's easier to say that knowing it's not a decision I'll ever have to face.  But it honestly doesn't matter much to me what they decide.  If they resume play soon that's great, if not, that's fine too.  I can live without watching NBA basketball for a while, I've got plenty of hobbies and other things I can do to keep my occupied.

« Reply #445 on: May 29, 2020, 04:44:36 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Per Adam Silver, July 31st is a target date for season to resume.

Looks like we will have a champion this season

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #446 on: May 29, 2020, 10:24:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
It's not a good look for the MLB that all these other leagues/sports are working towards starting back up or resuming seasons, and yet the MLB doesn't seem close to doing that because of the owners vs. players showdown involving money.

The owners and players already agreed on pay-cuts back in March, and yet the owners backed out of their own deal and are asking players to take even bigger pay-cuts. Meanwhile, tons of minor leaguers recently were cut and as we know, they weren't making much money to begin with + they aren't all guaranteed pay for this season (though some teams have announced they'll keep paying their minor league players through the summer).

Also, there was already going to be CBA talks in 2021 and a potential lockout if sides didn't agree on terms. There is actually a possibility we see no baseball again until 2022 if they don't play this season due to COVID, and then the 2021 season gets locked out.  :-\

« Reply #447 on: May 29, 2020, 10:53:50 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
It's not a good look for the MLB that all these other leagues/sports are working towards starting back up or resuming seasons, and yet the MLB doesn't seem close to doing that because of the owners vs. players showdown involving money.

The owners and players already agreed on pay-cuts back in March, and yet the owners backed out of their own deal and are asking players to take even bigger pay-cuts. Meanwhile, tons of minor leaguers recently were cut and as we know, they weren't making much money to begin with + they aren't all guaranteed pay for this season (though some teams have announced they'll keep paying their minor league players through the summer).

Also, there was already going to be CBA talks in 2021 and a potential lockout if sides didn't agree on terms. There is actually a possibility we see no baseball again until 2022 if they don't play this season due to COVID, and then the 2021 season gets locked out.  :-\

Does that mean Mookie Betts and David Price was traded to the Dodgers to never play a single game for them? That would be hilarious

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #448 on: June 19, 2020, 03:44:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Today, the Phillies (MLB) and Lightning (NHL) temporarily shut down their facilities after people tested positive for COVID. I think it was more than 5 people for each venue. 13 University of Texas players tested positive for COVID when they recently returned for workouts and practice.

Dr. Fauci the other day suggested the NFL may not be able to return unless they could adopt a similar "bubble environment" like the one the NBA is planning to do.

Also, Florida is seeing a rise in cases (and might be the 2nd "hotspot" in the country behind AZ) and that's where the NBA plans to return. Orlando is one of the cities getting hit pretty hard too.

Tbh the developments over this past week haven't been that encouraging regarding the return or resumption of seasons.

As much as I hate to say it too, I think football (NFL and NCAAF) will be even harder to return because there's just so many players and staff members, and it'll be hard to account for everyone. Putting them in a "bubble environment" like the NBA would be like 10x tougher.

« Reply #449 on: June 19, 2020, 08:48:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Today, the Phillies (MLB) and Lightning (NHL) temporarily shut down their facilities after people tested positive for COVID. I think it was more than 5 people for each venue. 13 University of Texas players tested positive for COVID when they recently returned for workouts and practice.

Dr. Fauci the other day suggested the NFL may not be able to return unless they could adopt a similar "bubble environment" like the one the NBA is planning to do.

Also, Florida is seeing a rise in cases (and might be the 2nd "hotspot" in the country behind AZ) and that's where the NBA plans to return. Orlando is one of the cities getting hit pretty hard too.

Tbh the developments over this past week haven't been that encouraging regarding the return or resumption of seasons.

As much as I hate to say it too, I think football (NFL and NCAAF) will be even harder to return because there's just so many players and staff members, and it'll be hard to account for everyone. Putting them in a "bubble environment" like the NBA would be like 10x tougher.

And to add to that, Clemson reported about 28 players testing positive for COVID.

On a side note, most colleges (including mine) have pretty much said there'll be COVID tests that everyone has to take before the fall semester begins. I'm just wondering what would happen if they find that even 5-10% of the tests are positive. Especially for the larger universities with 10,000+ students.