Author Topic: Have To Admit, It's Becoming Difficult...  (Read 5270 times)

Re: Have To Admit, It's Becoming Difficult...
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 04:00:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I changed the last word in the thread title. I just think difficult reads better than the way it was worded. 😎

Lol yeah this reads a bit better.

Starts searching for synonyms of hard and difficult  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Have To Admit, It's Becoming Hard...
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 04:28:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The way the team comes up with a new low seemingly every week or two, it's almost like performance art.

And it's no ordinary skill in the arts, is it? (see what I did there  8) )

I agree, though. Every time you think you've hit rock bottom, you do things like blow an 18 point game like half way through the 4th quarter missing perimeter jumper after perimeter jumper, while at the same time playing no perimeter defense. It's mind-boggling! Like, if you think the only way to score is by taking outside shots, shouldn't you try to stop your opponent from taking those same shots?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 04:35:21 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Definitely the weirdest season in my memory following this team.  I would have bet a large amount of money at the start of this season that we would have addressed either one of, or both of, our logjams at forward and point guard during the season.  IF only because literally everyone knows you can't have 9 guys who all think they're all starters.   

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 05:37:03 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Definitely the weirdest season in my memory following this team.  I would have bet a large amount of money at the start of this season that we would have addressed either one of, or both of, our logjams at forward and point guard during the season.  IF only because literally everyone knows you can't have 9 guys who all think they're all starters.   

I'm okay with that belief what I am not okay with is 9 gunners

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 05:46:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I still think this season is less frustrating if you ignore the last two and just recognize that we have Kyrie Irving (a top 25 player) and some mediocre talent.  Depending on who you ask, our 2nd best player is either Marcus Smart (a career role player), Al Horford (a former fringe star), or Jayson Tatum (a 21 year old 2nd year player struggling).  43-30 makes sense. 

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 09:13:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The way the team comes up with a new low seemingly every week or two, it's almost like performance art.

I agree, though. Every time you think you've hit rock bottom, you do things like blow an 18 point game like half way through the 4th quarter missing perimeter jumper after perimeter jumper, while at the same time playing no perimeter defense. It's mind-boggling! Like, if you think the only way to score is by taking outside shots, shouldn't you try to stop your opponent from taking those same shots?

I don't even know what our "rock bottom" truly is this season. Feels like we've had 5 or more of those moments already  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 09:16:36 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I still think this season is less frustrating if you ignore the last two and just recognize that we have Kyrie Irving (a top 25 player) and some mediocre talent.  Depending on who you ask, our 2nd best player is either Marcus Smart (a career role player), Al Horford (a former fringe star), or Jayson Tatum (a 21 year old 2nd year player struggling).  43-30 makes sense.

Agree partially...they preformed similarly last year in the second half. 

But having said that, they won 55 games last year.  Granted the East is better this year, but they are blowing games.

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 09:21:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I don't even know what our "rock bottom" truly is this season. Feels like we've had 5 or more of those moments already  :P

Yeah, like did I speak too early? This Spurs game is brutal - I can't picture a 3 pointer ever going in again!

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 09:58:19 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I love the Celtics...but this group makes is very hard to cheer for them.

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 11:00:34 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I love the Celtics...but this group makes is very hard to cheer for them.

You're telling me.

Last summer, I purchased a 10 game plan in one of the premium seating locations with the caveat I needed to sign a 3-year agreement. Suffice to say right about now, I regret doing so.

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2019, 11:18:11 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Most unlikeable Celtics team since the Wicks/Rowe edition that got Tommy fired as coach.  (admitting my age, but puts it in perspective for me). I just don't like watching them - and haven't been much lately though I foolishly watched the 2nd half last night.

I like the Wicks/Rowe reference - most on this board weren't around then. Problem wasn't those selfish jerks, it was Red letting Silas and Chaney leave in free agency after the '76 and '74 titles respectively and the Celtics having to replace them. Cowens hated Wicks so much that he took a mid-season break from the team.

BTW, Steve Kuberski was one of my favorite Celtics and played for my favorite Celtic championship group, the Cowens-JoJo-Havlicek teams.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 11:45:35 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think anyone watching these games can see that the Celts have poor chemistry and therefore rarely play as hard as they could. Sometimes it seems like they don't really care about winning.

To be honest it's been a while since I've felt invested in a game I've watched them play. If they're basically phoning it in it makes games boring and hard to care about the outcome.

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 02:41:13 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Here's some interesting stats:

Pre-AD trade demand the Celtics were 31-19. Including being 21-9 after the 10-10 start.

Post-AD trade demand the Celtics are at 12-12.

I guess after all the trials and tribulations they experienced early in the season with Hayward being force fed minutes and the young guys being told to take lesser roles, they had somehow managed to overcome that and go 21-9. Then AD made his trade demand and it looks like it was the tipping point for the team's chemistry to totally crumble.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 06:16:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Here's some interesting stats:

Pre-AD trade demand the Celtics were 31-19. Including being 21-9 after the 10-10 start.

Post-AD trade demand the Celtics are at 12-12.

I guess after all the trials and tribulations they experienced early in the season with Hayward being force fed minutes and the young guys being told to take lesser roles, they had somehow managed to overcome that and go 21-9. Then AD made his trade demand and it looks like it was the tipping point for the team's chemistry to totally crumble.
or the schedule strength just increased and the team is basically the same as it always was just with an increased strength of schedule.

Schedule matters.  That has been overlooked on this board all year long.  When Boston had that nice run in the middle of the season, it directly correlated with the weakest part of the schedule.  The schedule on either side was much more difficult, which correlated to the .500 record. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2019, 06:48:01 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
i dont even watch anymore..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin