Author Topic: Bismack Biyombo?  (Read 2482 times)

Bismack Biyombo?
« on: June 25, 2019, 01:50:38 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Biyombo have only one year left in his contract and is earning 17m.  With Hornets planning to pay Kemba a supermax, Danny could help them shed some salary by taking up some salaries.

People may think he's an afterthought, but he was pretty great back with the Raptors. He outplayed Tristan Kardashian and was a major impact on the defensive end.

Re: Bismack Biyombo?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 01:58:21 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Biyombo was a flash in the pan, he has not made any noise since that impressive playoff run that got him paid.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 02:14:20 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
Biyombo was a flash in the pan, he has not made any noise since that impressive playoff run that got him paid.

To be fair, he's surrounded with poor fit both in ORL and CHA. Magic have poor shooters. He seems to be a very good pnr roller, but Hornets is an overall poor defensive team ranking 24th in the league. Surrounded with very good defenders like in the Raptors, guys like him will thrive and he doesn't need the ball on his hands.

Borris Diaw was also overpaid by Charlotte and he got out of shape. But he did became a vital piece of the Spurs after he got bought out.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 02:58:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
With Biyombo you know what you're getting. Rebounding, interior defence, and a limited offensive game. If he gets bought out I'd like him for our bench.

Can't really complain considering we have maybe 3 big men
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 03:16:22 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
End of the bench minimum, sure. Tie up 17M? There better be a pretty good carrot attached to that.

The problem with Biyombo is that he has flashed elite defense, but is *so* bad offensively that he's been a net negative for most of his huge contract.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 03:22:45 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
End of the bench minimum, sure. Tie up 17M? There better be a pretty good carrot attached to that.

The problem with Biyombo is that he has flashed elite defense, but is *so* bad offensively that he's been a net negative for most of his huge contract.

If tied for multiple years, it is indeed a bad contract. But it's only up until next year. That's not much of a bad deal, especially if Danny aims to target better FA the following year. Didn't he overpaid Amir Johnson so that he can keep and free up cap spaces with Durant's free agency?

His offensive deficiencies can easily covered by majority of the players in the team. If Baynes and Turner can carve up playing time with limited shooting, then Biyombo can.

I agree with Hornets attaching more sweeteners for the deal like picks and non-guaranteed contracts.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 05:52:53 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Stevens won't play him. Biyombo can't pass the ball. It's one thing not to be a shooter. Another not to be able to pass.

Biyombo would have the same role as Baynes. An 18-20mpg player.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 06:42:01 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
Stevens won't play him. Biyombo can't pass the ball. It's one thing not to be a shooter. Another not to be able to pass.

He'd be useful on pick n rolls and offensive putbacks. If people wanted Capela, I don't get why not Biyombo. He can offer similar skillset for cheaper price.

On defense, he's everything you'd want for a big. Rebounds, block shots, guard the perimeter and pick n roll.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 06:50:53 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

That is not bad (depending on the cost of course)

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 05:05:33 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd rather bring back KO. Even though KO is two years he knows the system.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 06:54:01 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'd rather bring back KO. Even though KO is two years he knows the system.

these are worst of times

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 07:30:21 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

He'd be useful on pick n rolls and offensive putbacks. If people wanted Capela, I don't get why not Biyombo. He can offer similar skillset for cheaper price.

On defense, he's everything you'd want for a big. Rebounds, block shots, guard the perimeter and pick n roll.
You are right but for some reason Biyombo seems to suck and Capela is pretty good.  I wouldn't mind Olynyk back in Boston either.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 07:33:46 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

You are right but for some reason Biyombo seems to suck and Capela is pretty good.  I wouldn't mind Olynyk back in Boston either.

Biyombo has bad hands. That is why he doesn't catch and finish as well as Capela.

Biyombo is one of the worst offensive players in the league.
Biyombo is a better defender than Capela though.