Author Topic: If you're the Lakers, what do you do with Dwight Howard?  (Read 3217 times)

If you're the Lakers, what do you do with Dwight Howard?
« on: February 13, 2013, 06:56:33 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
From the outside looking in, I feel it's almost a no-brainer to trade him if you can get decent value in return. The guy is obviously miserable in LA and I have serious doubts he'll resign.

If you're Chicago, do you offer a package around Noah with the dream of a Rose/Howard nucleus?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: If you're the Lakers, what do you do with Dwight Howard?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 07:01:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think LA is still the overwhelming favourite to sign Dwight Howard in the summer given their ability to offer Dwight an extra $30 million in guaranteed salary.

So I wouldn't be concerned about my ability to keep him in the summer if I were LA. That wouldn't be a reason for me to trade him. His back injury might be though.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
I would bring in all the players needed to be a contender.  How is that done is really a very expensive goal. But hey, I am LA so I would be buying all the players I need to keep Dwight. Anyway, I could buy the championship in a lot of ways re: Shaq, Gasol and now D12..

D12, as far as LAL is concerned, is their future unless they are getting Lebron or KD. He is not getting traded because no team will. He could just walk away to a team that is ready to help him win a title (think of Bulls, Oklahoma, Clippers and the Knicks).

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

They aren't winning a title this year whether they trade him or not and the rest of the team is rapidly aging. There's no incentive to trade him.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 08:23:34 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't think he would want to spend several more years with Kobe.  If he thinks Kobe has only one or two seasons left,  i think he would be a lot more likely to sign with them.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
From the outside looking in, I feel it's almost a no-brainer to trade him if you can get decent value in return. The guy is obviously miserable in LA and I have serious doubts he'll resign.

If you're Chicago, do you offer a package around Noah with the dream of a Rose/Howard nucleus?

I've got no doubt at all that Chicago would do that trade - Howard's reputation as a superstar seems to have most teams willing to take a chance on him regardless of his "issues". 

If I'm LA I would do it in a heartbeat.  Noah is exactly the type of player they need in LA - a guy who will play hard and put in 110% effort every night, yet doesn't need the ball in his hands to make a huge impact.  He would be a perfect complement to Nash, Kobe and Gasol.

First though before I do this, I'd fire D'Antoni.  Too often I think the coach is the unlucky one who takes the blame when teams fall apart, and too often I think it's unfair.  In this case D'Antoni is not (and never was) the right coach for this team, and a change needs to be made. Beg and plead for Phil Jackson to come back and pay him whatever you need to, failing that even that Cleveland guy was a better coach for this team than D'Antoni.  They could not have chosen a less suitable coach if they tried.

If LA signs Phil Jackson and trades Howard + MWP to the Bulls for Noah + Deng (not sure if Chigago would agree) then LA are suddenly right back in the playoff race.

Could you imagine how well a lineup of Nash, Kobe, Deng, Gasol and Noah would play? Perfect balance between offense and defense, and a group of mostly unselfish guys who perfectly complement a guy like Kobe who needs to have the ball in his hands.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'd give him whatever he wants to re-sign and build a team around him.  He's the best big in the league.  THey have all sorts of assets they could trade and make Dwight the centerpiece of a contender.

But I hope they somehow lose him.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I'd give him whatever he wants to re-sign and build a team around him.  He's the best big in the league.  THey have all sorts of assets they could trade and make Dwight the centerpiece of a contender.

But I hope they somehow lose him.

I don't see any really valuable assets on the Lakers besides Howard.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 09:31:33 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
You must offer him the max
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Trade Howard and MWP to Atlanta for Horford and Smith. Trade Gasol to Houston for Asik, Parsons, Greg Smith, and Toney Douglas.

Nash/Douglas
Bryant/Douglas
Parsons/J Smith
J Smith/Horford/G Smith
Horford/Asik/G Smith

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 09:51:15 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
....hope you kept the receipt!  ;)

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:17:06 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'm shipping him out to the highest bidder regardless of what the offer might be.

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 10:25:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Keep him and resign him in the off-season.  The Lakers and Dwight need each other.  Dwight to re-establish his value as a top superstar, the Lakers to re-establish themselves as a top franchise.

The Lakers should make every move this off-season to reshape the roster to Dwight's strengths.  Pau should get traded.  Nash should retire.  The Lakers should do everything they can to shed unnecessary salary and just get more depth and have more shooters.

It may take a couple of years, but Dwight is probably the easiest player in the league to build a competitive team around.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 10:39:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
they sorta deserve each other.......a diva for a bunch of spoiled fans........good fit.......hope he stays and makes life a nightmare for the lakers.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 10:49:59 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
weep when he signs elsewhere this offseason and realize you gave up Bynum to get him  8)