Author Topic: Ray Allen Being Referred to as "Jesus"  (Read 14385 times)

Re: Ray Allen Being Referred to as "Jesus"
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
James Edwards, from the 80's Pistons, was called Buddha.  Thats the same thing, isn't it?

Not really, theoretically anyone can be a Buddha once they reach supreme enlightenment.

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2008, 02:24:35 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I either call Ray Allen one of two nicknames: "Jesus" or "Ray-Ray".

I don't know where "Ray-Ray" came from, but I like it and use it.

Obviously "Jesus" is from He Got Game, but I particularly like calling him that because his smooth stroke is the GOD of all smooth strokes.

I'm all for opening the doors for a new nickname, but I don't see one being concocted because "Sugar Ray" is terrible and unoriginal, and originality is what it's all about with a nickname. Hence why we can't call Walker "Sky".

That's my 2 cents.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2008, 02:40:19 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Im not gonna touch all the religeon talk with a 10 foot pole.

I never call Ray Allen Jesus.  Not because it offends me, but b/c its not a nickname he earned on the court.  The Truth, Big Ticket, were both names Paul and KG earned with their Rep on the court.

Ray Allen should have a nickname, but Ray Allens never been a highlight reel type player, or a real vocal personality, and his name is very bland, nothing you can really do with it.  Hes always been a quiet player, whos been a professional.

He should have some kind of "silent assassin" type nickname.  Or some kind of nickname based on how beautiful his shot looks, Sweetness would be perfect if Walter Payton didnt already have it.

....when religeons involved, no matter how small of a matter it might be, theres someone thatll always get offended.  Thats also why I liked the way to MODs went by pulling the plug on the Political Topics.  I know everyone was kind of irritated b/c this is a social setting and it was in the off topic area, but I look at these boards in the same regard I'd look at any other social situation where many different types of people are conversating, such as party.  Every party ive always been at, you dont talk about politics, religeon, and other peoples wives.  Always been a rule Ive lived by.
Greg

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2008, 02:49:08 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
It is funny that someone mentioned calling him "The Smart Allen" because I call Tony "The Worse Allen."

When Ray was in the slam dunk contest as a rookie, the announcers kept pushing that his nickname was "The Candyman." (Most likely in reference to to Sugar Ray.

I have no problem with people calling him Jesus.  I just don't.

Some people just can't get nicknames to stick without sounding very contrived.  He also doesnt have an abbreviate-able name like "Perk" or an interesting name like "Rondo" or a neat sounding name like "House."  He is just Ray Allen.

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
Wow,

it's been a long time since I have gone back and read every single post in a thread.  Well done Redz!

From a religious standpoint the name doesn't impact me at all, I'm not into the nickname simply because the movie came out so long ago and the reference has nothing to do with his time here in Boston or a standout moment in the NBA. 

Basically, I think the nickname is a bit moot.

My hats off to so many of you for the thoughtful comments.  Nice to read clear concise ideas on what could potentially be a divisive topic and even nicer to see the respect for other's beliefs!!

I've got a lot of well earned TPs to hand out.
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2008, 03:18:28 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i call him jesus all the time, and its mostly becuase he got game has been one of my favorite movies for a long time. almost got a shuttlesworth jersey made. BTW i'm not religious at all.

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2008, 03:55:32 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I'm religious and I really don't see the problem.  You don't get mad at Mohammed Sene's parents for naming their son that even with him not being a prophet.  It is the same thing with Adrian Peterson being the Purple Jesus. 

If you can't distinguish a basketball player from The Savior then I think it is more of a personal issue than population issue.

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2008, 04:17:38 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Doesn't bother me at all since I'm not religious. Not that I really use that nickname for ray anyway. Ray Ray has always seemed to stick for me.

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2008, 04:50:13 PM »

Offline scurvmeister

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 30
Like some of the others, I tend to cringe a little when Ray is called 'Jesus'. Let's face it, regardless of his He Got Game role and the commonality of the name in certain countries, the nickname Jesus evokes a cultural connotation with Jesus, the Christ. I think it's a huge stretch in anyone's book to deny this connection, and rightly so. Jesus' claims make him easily the most polarizing and debated person in history. Believe or disbelieve, the name Jesus represents some sort of savior, pointing back to Jesus Christ who is the savior of world, or at the very least, is on a pop-culture level.

In any case, it's good to read everyone's opinions on this, and see a lot of rational discussion. As some have noted, it's not just Ray who 'suffers' from a Jesus label. It's just interesting because those who believe in Jesus would never coin that nickname for anyone, yet those who would coin it still acknowledge the salvation he represents.

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2008, 05:27:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The truth is a dumb nickname and who knows what the heck shaq meant by it(imo he is not a really bright guy)

jesus shuttleworth is also dumb.

I'd nickname pierce mr 4th quarter

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2008, 06:00:15 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The truth is a dumb nickname and who knows what the heck shaq meant by it(imo he is not a really bright guy)

jesus shuttleworth is also dumb.

I'd nickname pierce mr 4th quarter

The Truth might be the best nickname ever.

What Shaq meant by "The Truth" is pretty simple. Shaq was basically saying that Pierce as a talent is undeniable, his skill is unquestionable, as a player he can't be doubted. All that in two words "The Truth". Scratch that "The Truth" is best nick name ever, and it fits Pierce so well.

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2008, 06:02:14 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

I am an athiest, but I think if I was a Christian this might offend me a bit.  Because in the context of the film, the name is religiously charged, per one of my favorite movie quotes.

"What kind of name is Jesus?"
"It's a biblical name."
"Yeah, no kidding." 

Great quote, but he goes on to explain that he is not named for Jesus Christ, but after Black Jesus - Earl the Pearl

Now I think that's a whole other kettle of fish in terms of offensive nicknames (not that it offends me in particular).

I think the main problem with Jesus is that certain people belittle the name. I've got no problem with people being called Jesus, but you can't deny that there are people who use it in a sacrilegious and maybe even disrespectful manner. That's what annoys me.
Wasn't Jesus a man of color? What's wrong with Black Jesus? Or is this a whole other conversation regarding the Roman Catholic church trying to make us believe that Jesus was a pasty white European?

Haha. Jesus was a Jew, are Jewish people considered people of color? It depends on how you interpret it, I don't think Jesus was white, but he wasn't black either and I think the term "Black Jesus" is very controversial. The term itself doesn't bother me, but it's the intent of some people.

Some Black Israelites think so.  ;)

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2008, 06:35:50 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I find it a bit offensive and cringe every time someone calls him that quite honestly. Maybe it is just #3 of the ten commandments. I know most people aren't doing it with a sacrilegious thought, but it is there. They are insinuating that he is the Messiah of the basketball court, which is a sacrilegious comparison. 

I call him Jesus. Jesus is one of the most famous characters in the best known book in literature. I don't see anything offensive about using the name.

There are way too many religions with way too many commandments to take someones #3 seriously.

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2008, 06:36:30 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
eh... i'm okay with calling him jesus. not many nba players have acted in movies and they don't refer to him as jesus often enough for it to be a problem.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2008, 06:47:55 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
another jesuses

jesus bengalojesus lopezjesus and his wifejesus rodriguez...not relatedjesus acosta

Shame on them   :)

source yahoo images

P.S. Jesus is a pretty common name in latin america, for man AND women

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!