Author Topic: Rajon Rondo most overrated offensive player ever?  (Read 12809 times)

Re: Rajon Rondo most overrated offensive player ever?
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2008, 02:18:01 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
You know what all this kind of reminds me of.  Al Jefferson.

Big Al had a rookie year here that far exceeded what anyone was really expecting of him being a player coming out of high school, and he finished that rookie year playing a strong series against the Indiana Pacers in the playoffs.

Then next year rolls around and everyone is expecting him to make this HUGE leap as a player, and it just didnt happen.  People were even saying he regressed.  His defense didnt improve, he couldnt stay out of foul trouble, etc.  Same problems.  People started doubting whether he would ever "get it" on defense, blah blah blah.

The next season rolls around and a month or so in the season things start clicking with him and he starts playing great basketball.  He was still far from being a good defensive player, but you could see that he had turned the corner.

My point is, just because Rondo had a great season last year, you cant expect him to make this great leap the next season.  Teams adjust to you, play you different ways.  Obviously teams paid attention to what the Lakers did, they put Kobe to guard Rondo, and just let Kobe act as an extra defender on the floor, and I think we're going to start seeing A LOT more of that, and Rajon is going to have to learn to make them pay for it somehow.  Rajon is going to be a great player in the NBA, I really think so, but to expect him to do so right away is too great of an expectation of him.

Calling him an overrated player isnt warranted.  If you think his potential is overrated, then thats your opinion, but nobody on here is saying hes a great player RIGHT NOW.  Someone else said that seeing the way Rajons played so far has made them wonder if he did anything in the offseason.  Rajon probably put in the most effort this offseason out of anyone, he added weight, and also had to be told to stop doing two-a-days so close to training camp starting.  Now he probably didnt spend the whole offseason shooting jumpers with Ray Allen like he did last offseason, which he probably should have done, but you cant act like hes been lazy just b/c his jumper hasnt come around.  The kids got a great work ethic.
Greg

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2008, 02:23:22 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Not overrated at all.  He's playing well, kind of like he did at the end of last year.  But if he is destined to be the star that he has the potential to be, we will have to see some improvement this year.

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2008, 02:31:36 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
When did people start overrating Rondo's offensive abilities?

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2008, 02:37:02 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If anything, I'm kind of dissappointed that he hasn't improved more over the summer.  In my mind, he was going to be an allstar within a year or two.  We'll see.

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2008, 02:49:20 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
If anything, I'm kind of dissappointed that he hasn't improved more over the summer.  In my mind, he was going to be an allstar within a year or two.  We'll see.

as i pointed out to EJ, i wasn't surprised to see less of an improvement coming out of camp than last year.

summer was 2 months shorter than the year before, happily, and half of that he got told to do no basketball by the team to recover. :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion