Author Topic: Pau Gasol's realistic trade value  (Read 9875 times)

Re: Pau Gasol's realistic trade value
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2011, 05:57:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Pau Gasol is a top 15 player in this league. Generally considered a top 5 big man. Is only 30 years old and could easily have 4-5 more years at an All-NBA level.

He is a hugely valuable asset to any team that wants to win in the immediate + short term future.
Orlando isn't going to value a top 15 player towards the end of his prime as much as other teams in the league.  The Arenas and Turkoglu deals have crippled their ability to contend for the next few years even with a top 5 player in Dwight. 

Pau would be in his mid-30s by the time they cleared the Turkoglu and Arenas salaries off the books.

If the Magic trade Dwight, they need to acquire a younger talent whose value won't depreciate during the dog years ahead and/or unload some of their bad contracts with him 
This is the common viewpoint for teams to take when they in as poor a position as Orlando ... when they lose a superstar talent ... but I am not sure this is what Orlando is thinking.

I don't think Otis Smith realizes how poor a position his club is in. I also think he over-values the players he has. Plus I think he desperately wants to keep Orlando in the playoffs, a relevant power, even if Dwight Howard leaves.

I see nothing from Orlando that gives me the sense they are committed to rebuilding should Dwight Howard leave. I think they'll trade him for the best talent they can get and try to win with that guy(s) if they receive a good enough package.

And I think Pau Gasol or Amare Stoudemire is a good enough package to convince them to do so ... especially if LA included Lamar Odom in addition to Pau. I think they'll try to win with that new-look Orlando Magic team.

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2011, 06:28:49 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Pau Gasol is a top 15 player in this league. Generally considered a top 5 big man. Is only 30 years old and could easily have 4-5 more years at an All-NBA level.

He is a hugely valuable asset to any team that wants to win in the immediate + short term future.
Orlando isn't going to value a top 15 player towards the end of his prime as much as other teams in the league.  The Arenas and Turkoglu deals have crippled their ability to contend for the next few years even with a top 5 player in Dwight. 

Pau would be in his mid-30s by the time they cleared the Turkoglu and Arenas salaries off the books.

If the Magic trade Dwight, they need to acquire a younger talent whose value won't depreciate during the dog years ahead and/or unload some of their bad contracts with him 
This is the common viewpoint for teams to take when they in as poor a position as Orlando ... when they lose a superstar talent ... but I am not sure this is what Orlando is thinking.

I don't think Otis Smith realizes how poor a position his club is in. I also think he over-values the players he has. Plus I think he desperately wants to keep Orlando in the playoffs, a relevant power, even if Dwight Howard leaves.

I see nothing from Orlando that gives me the sense they are committed to rebuilding should Dwight Howard leave. I think they'll trade him for the best talent they can get and try to win with that guy(s) if they receive a good enough package.

And I think Pau Gasol or Amare Stoudemire is a good enough package to convince them to do so ... especially if LA included Lamar Odom in addition to Pau. I think they'll try to win with that new-look Orlando Magic team.

I think Otis Smith is a poor general manager, but I have a hard time believing that he esteems this current batch of players so highly. 

His midseason trades smacked of desperation to please/appease Howard, not so much of eagerness to acquire the players in question. 

He gambled and lost.  I don't think he's eager to double down without his ace.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2011, 06:33:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

I think Otis Smith is a poor general manager, but I have a hard time believing that he esteems this current batch of players so highly. 

His midseason trades smacked of desperation to please/appease Howard, not so much of eagerness to acquire the players in question. 

He gambled and lost.  I don't think he's eager to double down without his ace.

We'll see as it gets closer to the time ... and their plans / aims become clearer.

But I wouldn't assume Orlando are going to rebuild straight away post-Dwight Howard.

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2011, 06:52:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Dwight Howard says he plans on exercising his ETO in 2012 and going elsewhere and he has a limited list of teams he would accept a trade-and-extend deal with, is Orlando capable of the sort of brinksmanship that Denver did with Carmelo Anthony?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2011, 06:55:26 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
It would take a lot to get Dwight I bet. Something like:

Gasol, Bynum and Odom for Dwight, Gilbert, Turk and Bass I bet. Or something along those lines anyway (I didn't look up salaries).

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Well they did get get him for Kwame Brown. Maybe they can trade him for Thabeet. That'd be fair ;D Seriously though I don't understand why they would want to trade Gasol. He was the key to their past two championships. His ability to productively play 2nd fiddle without drama is being underrated now. Even if LA manages to trade him for another star there's no guarantee that player could learn the triangle and co-exist with their resident primadonna.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.