Author Topic: Marcus Smart Please Stop Shooting!  (Read 13713 times)

Re: Marcus Smart Please Stop Shooting!
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2017, 08:39:57 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
When it comes to role players, a bad shooter is better than a reluctant shooter.

So true...he just has to just jack them up...maybe one out of three will go in.

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2017, 08:42:40 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
As I always say...players need to realize they're open for a reason...because the teams want bad shooters to shoot. He hit a big shot last night but all that does is tempt him to keep shooting.

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2017, 08:50:16 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
When it comes to role players, a bad shooter is better than a reluctant shooter.
funny, I was asking someone last night a similar question --> is it better to have a PG that's reluctant to shoot such that the other team doesn't bother or loosely covers them (thinking Rondo here) or is it better to have PG that shoots a miserable percentage jack up a lot of outside shots (Smart)?

I honestly don't know which situation is better or worse.  both were able to affect the games in other ways besides scoring but I think in the case of the reluctant shooter, they can facilitate the offense and get someone else a shot as opposed to jacking one up and giving the other team the ball back.

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2017, 09:01:19 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Man. I hate it when Smart has a bad game. The entire forum devolves into posting "OMG Smart SUCKs" threads. And I have to deal with it for a day or two until Smart has a better game.

Just remember critics, if Smart didn't have his greenlight, he wouldn't have hit the 3 that brought us back to tie the game. He's also still young. It's good to let young players get shots and develop. It's not like it's hurting our record.

I'll be back after the few days of Smart-hate. Looking forward to Danny paying him 15M a year.
If he hadn't been 1-10, then that shot wouldn't have been so important.

He singlehandedly shot the Mavs back into the game last night after the starters built a double digit lead. His awful shooting is arguably the biggest weakness on this team.

His defense is invaluable. But he's got to stop forcing shots. Or even taking open shots. Every time he takes a shot, he does the opponent a favor. A guard shooting 26%. The ball needs to not be in his hands most of the time.

26%.  Unbelievable.

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2017, 09:10:57 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
You can't keep the ball off his hands. He either plays or he doesn't

But he should stop forcing shots . Like the one he took in the last mins yesterday. It got in but i was a bad shot.....

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2017, 09:45:39 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
Marcus is in a contract year and he's trying to show his shot has improved. I'm not sure that a shrinking FG% is the way to get a new contract. LOL

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:53 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Can anyone tell me what smarts plus minus is in the first three quarters or the first half?  We’re coming through at end of games but I feel like smart MUST be contributing to putting us in a hole in the first place. 

His stats simply make no sense.

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2017, 09:58:32 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Looking forward to Danny paying him 15M a year.

Just like KO and Sully were going to make big bucks?  Almost every time someone predicts a salary on this blog they grossly over value our players.
Olynyk did pretty well last time I checked.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Man. I hate it when Smart has a bad game. The entire forum devolves into posting "OMG Smart SUCKs" threads. And I have to deal with it for a day or two until Smart has a better game.

Just remember critics, if Smart didn't have his greenlight, he wouldn't have hit the 3 that brought us back to tie the game. He's also still young. It's good to let young players get shots and develop. It's not like it's hurting our record.

I'll be back after the few days of Smart-hate. Looking forward to Danny paying him 15M a year.

I'm confused what's a good game for smart? 30% from the field and 19% from the field? I'm sorry I just don't see how he makes us that much better. He is getting 6th man mins and needs role player mins. He was the reason we lost the lead and why the game was a struggle. Honestly it's not all his fault it's some what Tatums fault. If he's more aggressive with the 2nd unit instead of smart we would be in a much better position.

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I'm confused what's a good game for smart? 30% from the field and 19% from the field? I'm sorry I just don't see how he makes us that much better. He is getting 6th man mins and needs role player mins. He was the reason we lost the lead and why the game was a struggle. Honestly it's not all his fault it's some what Tatums fault. If he's more aggressive with the 2nd unit instead of smart we would be in a much better position.
I think you're confused about the meaning of the term "role player".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2017, 08:49:10 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
The problem i have with smart is that there is no way he should be taking more shots than Tatum. Brad has been subbing Tatum early and putting him with the 2nd unit.

But even yesterday there were times where smart got tunnel vision to jack up shots when you have Tatum who is a much better scorer on the floor.

Smart may have the worst shot selection in the NBA. 

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2017, 09:08:21 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Can anyone tell me what smarts plus minus is in the first three quarters or the first half?  We’re coming through at end of games but I feel like smart MUST be contributing to putting us in a hole in the first place. 

His stats simply make no sense.
              With Smart     Without
1st qtr.         +4                +8
2nd              -3                 -5
3rd               -2                -10
4th              +8                even
O.T.             +8  was on floor entire O.T.

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2017, 09:16:24 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
The problem i have with smart is that there is no way he should be taking more shots than Tatum. Brad has been subbing Tatum early and putting him with the 2nd unit.

But even yesterday there were times where smart got tunnel vision to jack up shots when you have Tatum who is a much better scorer on the floor.

Yes, this makes no sense. They make sure Smart is open to take shots.

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2017, 09:35:58 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Yes, this makes no sense. They make sure Smart is open to take shots.

He's left open for a reason.

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2017, 10:56:11 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
He cant be in the floor and not shoot the ball - when he is open he coach has him shooting (anybody on the team has to shoot or they will be benched) Not shooting the open Shot that would hurt the team.

Also you can ignore his plus minus all you want but the truth is - he makes more winning plays when than he does losing plays..  He can miss all of his shots and still find a way to win the game.. 

Funny when We had IT nobody said anything about how many points he gave up on Defense only cared about him Scoring.. Ignoring the obvious  liablity because he was helping us win.. 
Smart does the exact same thing.. He is actually helping us win games..  IF you are watching the games you can literally see it...

(now if you are only reading box scores then okay.. I see why you dont understand but if you are watching the game, you see it.)

Who cares how we win the games.. Just win.