Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 123402 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged topics]
« Reply #675 on: July 10, 2018, 05:34:04 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Smart, according to source, would "consider" the four-year extension offer Celtics made last October, which was worth more annually than the three-year, $33 million deal just signed by Dante Exum.
https://mobile.twitter.com/murf56/status/1016792496515321856

please let this be true and get this done!

« Reply #676 on: July 10, 2018, 05:57:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Smart, according to source, would "consider" the four-year extension offer Celtics made last October, which was worth more annually than the three-year, $33 million deal just signed by Dante Exum.
But after a year of once again showing he is incapable of being a shooter of any type, missing 28 games, 11 on a self inflicted wound, and seeing the market for Smart drying up and I doubt that offer from the beginning of last year is still on the table. My guess is Danny waits it out to see what the open market says is Smart's value.

« Reply #677 on: July 10, 2018, 06:03:44 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
But after a year of once again showing he is incapable of being a shooter of any type, missing 28 games, 11 on a self inflicted wound, and seeing the market for Smart drying up and I doubt that offer from the beginning of last year is still on the table. My guess is Danny waits it out to see what the open market says is Smart's value.

Eh, you try to leverage him down too far and it just starts to make sense to take the 1-year QO and try again next summer as a UFA, where it's much easier to get an offer in place because your agent can come to an agreement before free agency opens. The non-tax mid-level isn't going to stop being there for him next year, so there's no reason to take an offer in that range now. Ainge was right to hold the line, but you also have to understand just how far you can reasonably take things. Hell, it's good to have him on a mid-sized deal with no no-trade clause (the real issue with the QO) just in case the price gets low enough on someone like Kawhi or Jimmy Butler mid-season.

« Reply #678 on: July 10, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
65 million at 5 yrs. would start at $10,743,802 with max raises
60 million at 5 yrs. $9,917,355
55 million at 5 yrs. $9,090,909
50 million at 5 yrs. $8,264,463

52 million at 4 yrs. $11,231,102
48 million at 4 yrs. $10,367,171
44 million at 4 yrs. $9,503,240
40 million at 4 yrs. $8,639,309

39 million at 3 yrs. $11,764,706
36 million at 3 yrs. $10,859,729
33 million at 3 yrs. $9,954,751
30 million at 3 yrs. $9,049,774

« Reply #679 on: July 10, 2018, 06:05:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Eh, you try to leverage him down too far and it just starts to make sense to take the 1-year QO and try again next summer as a UFA, where it's much easier to get an offer in place because your agent can come to an agreement before free agency opens. The non-tax mid-level isn't going to stop being there for him next year, so there's no reason to take an offer in that range now.
And there is no reason to bid against yourself and overpay for a role playing bench player.

« Reply #680 on: July 10, 2018, 06:08:00 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum

Eh, you try to leverage him down too far and it just starts to make sense to take the 1-year QO and try again next summer as a UFA, where it's much easier to get an offer in place because your agent can come to an agreement before free agency opens. The non-tax mid-level isn't going to stop being there for him next year, so there's no reason to take an offer in that range now.
And there is no reason to bid against yourself and overpay for a role playing bench player.

Well, if he winds up spending the season with a no-trade clause and then walks for nothing next summer I'm sure the organization will be happy to pat themselves on the back about not bidding against themselves, but again - there's a level where it just stops making sense for Smart to sign anything other than the QO.

« Reply #681 on: July 10, 2018, 06:12:36 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

Assuming the report is true, it's really nice of him to "consider" what he was too good for last year and up until about 2 days ago.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #682 on: July 10, 2018, 06:19:16 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Saw on Sporting News that 4 teams has interest in Smart..wonder who they are
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #683 on: July 10, 2018, 06:20:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Well, if he winds up spending the season with a no-trade clause and then walks for nothing next summer I'm sure the organization will be happy to pat themselves on the back about not bidding against themselves, but again - there's a level where it just stops making sense for Smart to sign anything other than the QO.
Then he walks for nothing. Marcus Smart not being on this team isn't going to be the deciding factor of whether we win future championships or not. I think a ton of fans here are doing the same thing Smart is, overvaluing his importance to this team.

« Reply #684 on: July 10, 2018, 06:21:07 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2955
  • On To Banner 18!

I'd much rather we offer him something like 3/33M or 4/44M and get it done.

Also, it would help to have a mid-sized contract like Smart's to help facilitate a trade in the future (using salary), and honestly if we bring back Smart on a QO, I think it's for sure he's gone the year after. 10-12M/Year for someone like Smart in today's NBA is ideal.

I believe we could do that and still stay under the tax as long as we make small moves involving Nader and such.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #685 on: July 10, 2018, 06:26:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
One thing I don't understand about this board....IT, who at the time was averaging 29 PPG and was an MVP candidate and All-NBA worthy, had a large section if the site kinda turn on him because he asked for a Brink's truck and max money but Smart turns down a very fair deal, and the day after they get eliminated says he wants more than $14 million and no one is bothered by this. I personally had no problem with either player asking for big bucks, way more than they were worth, but why did so many turn on IT for asking for the big bucks but not Smart?

« Reply #686 on: July 10, 2018, 06:32:45 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I dont blame any player trying get more money...but got to look in future..got brown & tatum later on to sign..already have hayward &  horford to big deals..plus Irving be a FA..so giving smart and/or thomas big money wouldnt be or been "smart"
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #687 on: July 10, 2018, 06:36:57 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2955
  • On To Banner 18!
QUESTION: Say, Smart signs the QO, and then in a year becomes UFA. We don't have his Bird Rights then, right? Then shouldn't we try to ink him to a 3-4 year deal of sorts at 10-12M/Year?? Or are folks actually fine just letting him walk in a year. Another factor is, having Smart at a 10-12M/Year salary could help facilitate a future trade (as salary filler), which is something we've found difficult to do when making Kawhi trade ideas and such LOL (You got a big gap between Tatum at 6.5M and Kyrie at around 19M).

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #688 on: July 10, 2018, 06:39:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
QUESTION: Say, Smart signs the QO, and then in a year becomes UFA. We don't have his Bird Rights then, right? Then shouldn't we try to ink him to a 3-4 year deal of sorts at 10-12M/Year?? Or are folks actually fine just letting him walk in a year. Another factor is, having Smart at a 10-12M/Year salary could help facilitate a future trade (as salary filler), which is something we've found difficult to do when making Kawhi trade ideas and such LOL (You got a big gap between Tatum at 6.5M and Kyrie at around 19M).

We’d have his Bird rights.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #689 on: July 10, 2018, 06:40:56 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
Then he walks for nothing. Marcus Smart not being on this team isn't going to be the deciding factor of whether we win future championships or not. I think a ton of fans here are doing the same thing Smart is, overvaluing his importance to this team.

Well, I mean, sure - if the position you're operating from is that Smart doesn't matter, then just sit tight on the QO and he'll be gone soon enough. That doesn't appear to jive with the organization's approach over the last several season though. I'd be very surprised if they didn't at least want a mid-sized contract available for trade-building purposes, though, because those 4/5-for-1s you otherwise have to build are borderline untenable come mid-season.