Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 123386 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Isn't this an old thread?

Not trusting ESPN because they never say anything good about any Boston team.

Besides, the way the current signings are going, the money is down and Smart will be lucky if he gets any $10mil offers. The big money goes to the O guys, not the D guys.

He'll stay a Celtic, because they'll have enough to pay him enough.

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Disappointed. Fireworks are blazing, and Smart still hasn't re-signed here? Bummer  :( :P

Anyways, I honestly feel a lot more confident we're bringing back Smart now. Idk if it's for the QO or some long term deal, but my hope is that we keep Smart at something around 3/33M, or 4 years at 44-48M (11-12M/Year). Might look like a lot now, but a few years from now could look like a bargain and I think at the right price, having someone like Smart on a championship team is vital.

We'd also stay under the tax this year, and if some disgruntled star does become available like 2 years from now, we could use Smart's salary to help facilitate a deal (as of now, we don't have any contract between 7-19M so it's hard to facilitate many deals w/o gutting our roster, as we've seen with Kawhi, Butler, Davis, etc. trade idea rumors).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Isn't this an old thread?

Not trusting ESPN because they never say anything good about any Boston team.

Besides, the way the current signings are going, the money is down and Smart will be lucky if he gets any $10mil offers. The big money goes to the O guys, not the D guys.

He'll stay a Celtic, because they'll have enough to pay him enough.

exum's contract helped him

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The longer things go the less likely a deal is done and he signs his QO

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Disappointed. Fireworks are blazing, and Smart still hasn't re-signed here? Bummer  :( :P

Anyways, I honestly feel a lot more confident we're bringing back Smart now. Idk if it's for the QO or some long term deal, but my hope is that we keep Smart at something around 3/33M, or 4 years at 44-48M (11-12M/Year). Might look like a lot now, but a few years from now could look like a bargain and I think at the right price, having someone like Smart on a championship team is vital.

We'd also stay under the tax this year, and if some disgruntled star does become available like 2 years from now, we could use Smart's salary to help facilitate a deal (as of now, we don't have any contract between 7-19M so it's hard to facilitate many deals w/o gutting our roster, as we've seen with Kawhi, Butler, Davis, etc. trade idea rumors).

Pretty sure giving Marcus 12 mill puts us in the tax, unless Morris is traded.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

While this is true, four days is not very long.  Restricted free agents don’t normally agree with teams other than their own before the moratorium period ends, which this year occurs on Friday.  It’s possible he gets an offer from another team (one of Atlanta, Chicago, or Sacramento) over the weekend.  Not likely, but not impossible.

I’d be very surprised if he signed a QO before August 1st.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

While this is true, four days is not very long.  Restricted free agents don’t normally agree with teams other than their own before the moratorium period ends, which this year occurs on Friday.  It’s possible he gets an offer from another team (one of Atlanta, Chicago, or Sacramento) over the weekend.  Not likely, but not impossible.

I’d be very surprised if he signed a QO before August 1st.
You're right he will wait as long as possible jic a team steps up.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Doubt there are any offers coming for Smart. Nor do I expect BOS will finalize an offer to Smart until after the VSL ends on 7/17. After that, DA will figure out what the roster will be and who gets cut, stretched, or moved. That will give DA an amount to offer Smart and still stay under the luxury tax line. Then Smart has to make a decision as to whether to take the QO or the offer. I expect DA's offer will end up in the 4 years, $39-41 MM range, which Smart should take, but may not.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Doubt there are any offers coming for Smart. Nor do I expect BOS will finalize an offer to Smart until after the VSL ends on 7/17. After that, DA will figure out what the roster will be and who gets cut, stretched, or moved. That will give DA an amount to offer Smart and still stay under the luxury tax line. Then Smart has to make a decision as to whether to take the QO or the offer. I expect DA's offer will end up in the 4 years, $39-41 MM range, which Smart should take, but may not.

Smart is not worth that.

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth

Smart is not worth that.

That is his bottom value IMO. I would love that contract
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Smart is not worth that.

Yeah, around $10m/year for Smart would be awesome
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Smart is not worth that.

Yeah, around $10m/year for Smart would be awesome

Agreed.  I have a feeling that Smart would be willing to sign this type of deal if there's a player option after the 2nd year.