Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 123580 times)

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Doesn't sound too far off to me.  I think DA got a good deal on Baynes -- Smart much younger, still growing his game (IMO), and plays nearly twice the minutes Baynes does.  MPG will probably decrease, but Smart's value in the 4th is very high.  Marcus won't start, but he'll finish.

Are you sure?  Who will he play over in the 4th?  Probably not Kyrie or Brown.  Not over Tatum or Hayward.  I think that is the problem.  Unless someone is hurt, i don't think Smart is a game closer for us anymore.

With his ill-advised bricks, Smart is the last guy I want playing in crunch-time.

He's best utilized as a 2nd and 3rd qtr energy defense guy off the bench. Maybe situational defense in end of game situations.

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Thing that scares me about possibly losing Smart is that he and his agent have to see that his salary -- if in the 9-12 range -- quickly becomes a needed/movable salary in any attempt to acquire a high-priced player by trade.   That 9-12M salary number is something Danny actually needs.  If I'm Marcus I make a deal with myself -- hold out for a number you'll be OK with no matter where you play.   I think this factor puts the QO in play for Marcus -- the gamble may be worth it.

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Agreed, smart is the guy who help us turn the momentum in the 2nd and 3rd quarter

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Doesn't sound too far off to me.  I think DA got a good deal on Baynes -- Smart much younger, still growing his game (IMO), and plays nearly twice the minutes Baynes does.  MPG will probably decrease, but Smart's value in the 4th is very high.  Marcus won't start, but he'll finish.

Are you sure?  Who will he play over in the 4th?  Probably not Kyrie or Brown.  Not over Tatum or Hayward.  I think that is the problem.  Unless someone is hurt, i don't think Smart is a game closer for us anymore.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play over Brown or Tatum.  Brad has a lot of confidence in him, as do his teammates.  It would depend a bit on matchup and game flow, but especially when up by a basket or two, he very well could see the floor.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
3 year, $33m deal for Dante Exum for Utah... Looks like Marcus's price range is $10m-12.5m per year.
Smart vastly outplayed Exum over the course of their careers so far. If Exum gets 11 per, Smart must be looking for 14-15 per. Not sure the Cs go that far and I dont see any teams offering that either. Not

Smart might just bet on himself again and sign QO if Cs don't get close to what he wants.

"Vastly"

Exum is a far far better offensive player and it's not even close. Defensively Smart is better but not so much it takes away his offensive deficiencies.

Give me Exum all day,unless you're going to talk some "intangibles"...

http://bkref.com/tiny/4b1Ne

“Far better offensive player”

What in the world are you smoking? That’s not even close to true; the most you can say is that he’s a slightly better shooter, which A) isn’t saying much, and B) is only a part of overall offensive game.

Look at the stats. You are highly overrating Exum and underrating Smart, who is much more impactful on the court than Exum. Only a biased Jazz fan would take Exum over Smart at this stage of their careers  ::)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 06:58:20 PM by jpotter33 »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play over Brown or Tatum.  Brad has a lot of confidence in him, as do his teammates.  It would depend a bit on matchup and game flow, but especially when up by a basket or two, he very well could see the floor.

Yeah, I think he’d play in most situations over Brown. In addition to D, being able to initiate the offense and play Kyrie off the ball is an added benefit that Brown can’t contribute.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
3 year, $33m deal for Dante Exum for Utah... Looks like Marcus's price range is $10m-12.5m per year.

Pffft and who is going to pay that aside from the C's? Let's not bid against ourselves here..
It is NOT bidding against yourself.  If you don't pay them this year you will have to face paying them next year in a larger market as unrestricted free agents.  The deal you sign them to this year likely saves you money in future years.  Smart has very little incentive to take a below market deal.

Exum hasn't done Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. yet and is not worth that money. Just because Utards threw money down the drain doesn't mean C's should. Can't overpay for a 6-8 man you guys have to think longer term/big picture KI has to get paid, JB and than Tatum after that.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Been saying for a long time that I thought this would be an awful market for Smart and in it he was probably worth around the non-taxpayers MLE. I would have no problem bringing Smart back at his QO if he thinks he can finally start hitting shots to prove his value is over $10 million a year. I also have no problem returning him on a 4 year $7-8.5 million a year contract.

This is a perfect market for Danny to resign RFAs in. There's no money out there. Danny needs to squeeze Smart some to get a team friendly deal.

Can't ever see Smart being much more than he is now. His QO is the best he's going to do. Is he even meeting with anyone?

Keith Smith

Verified account

@KeithSmithNBA
Follow Follow @KeithSmithNBA
More
Sources: The Boston Celtics and Marcus Smart have had good dialogue on a new deal. Still not there, but neither side is in a rush. With cap space drying up around the league, it lessens need to rush to a new contract.

I like that news. It makes it sound like both parties are focused on keeping Smart here now it's just a negotiation. Hopefully one that keeps him here for 4 years.

My offer is 5 years $40m and Smart should take it. It's a lot of money and he ain't getting any better or younger.

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Pffft and who is going to pay that aside from the C's? Let's not bid against ourselves here..
It is NOT bidding against yourself.  If you don't pay them this year you will have to face paying them next year in a larger market as unrestricted free agents.  The deal you sign them to this year likely saves you money in future years.  Smart has very little incentive to take a below market deal.

Exum hasn't done **** yet and is not worth that money. Just because Utards threw money down the drain doesn't mean C's should. Can't overpay for a 6-8 man you guys have to think longer term/big picture KI has to get paid, JB and than Tatum after that.

Don't forget C's have to make a decision on Rozier next summer as well. If Smart gets anything more than $10mm a year anywhere else he should go there..

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Yeah, I think he’d play in most situations over Brown. In addition to D, being able to initiate the offense and play Kyrie off the ball is an added benefit that Brown can’t contribute.

Don’t forget we’ll have Hayward for creating offense as well. I’d think Brown’s ability to shoot would be more important in late game situations with Hayward and Kyrie.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
https://twitter.com/AdamMKaufman/status/1014256626948300800
the link above says:

It’s all but an official lock Marcus Smart will return to the #Celtics

if so, good news.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
https://twitter.com/AdamMKaufman/status/1014256626948300800
the link above says:

It’s all but an official lock Marcus Smart will return to the #Celtics

if so, good news.
But will it be for a multi-year deal or the QO? 

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Smart vastly outplayed Exum over the course of their careers so far. If Exum gets 11 per, Smart must be looking for 14-15 per. Not sure the Cs go that far and I dont see any teams offering that either. Not

Smart might just bet on himself again and sign QO if Cs don't get close to what he wants.

The other way to look at that is that Exum’s contract is in overpay. Teams make bad deals.

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I dont know how someone passes up 40 plus million.   Look what happened to Noel.