Author Topic: Besides Scalabrine...  (Read 4328 times)

Besides Scalabrine...
« on: January 03, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
is Bill Walker the Celtics weakest link? I just don't get his presence on the team, especially after being called up from the D-League ???. Yet we Doc doesn't play him, if so its because of "garbage time" minutes in a blow out loss or win. I though last night would've been a great time to bring him in the game especially when Shelden Williams was playing awful and the team got in foul trouble, but instead Doc brought back in Rasheed Wallace and Tony Allen.

Is he now the weakest link, since J.R. they say has surpassed him, and even started last night? I always though J.R. was the weakest link, because I have yet to see him do anything on this team spectacular like Bill Walker does when healthy. Hudson is another guy I praise because of ability, but Doc's not giving him the "GREEN LIGHT", and probably will never being that he's a ex-point himself. So who is it?

Bill Walker:
J.R. Giddens:
Lester Hudson:
Brian Scalabrine:
or Other? ???

Re: Besides Scalabrine...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:35:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Scali is not the weak link.  When the team is healthy, he is the perfect 12th man.

The weak link is the last three players on the bench.  The fact that they are not at a level that they can earn minutes when there are a few injuries is a major sticking point.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:41:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Yep, I think so, I think Walker is the worst player on the team.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:52:58 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think it's between Walker and Hudson (probably Walker), with Giddens as the 3rd worst. Then Williams, then Scal.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:53:46 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I think it's between Walker and Hudson (probably Walker), with Giddens as the 3rd worst. Then Williams, then Scal.

And Williams and Scali have shown the ability to help when needed for limited minutes.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Scali is not the weak link.  When the team is healthy, he is the perfect 12th man.

The weak link is the last three players on the bench.  The fact that they are not at a level that they can earn minutes when there are a few injuries is a major sticking point.

I don't trust Doc's evaluation of young players. Giddens can't get off the bench then suddenly starts. That makes no sense. Is he now ahead of Scals when everyone is healthy?

I only know what I see when Doc finally puts the players in the game. Here are my evaluations:

Hudson-This kid has game.
Giddens-Has not shown any confidence in two years.
Walker- High energy guy who needs to work on his jumper.
Sheldon- Very smart player, who when plays within himself, is ok
Scals- Is just awful. Without a 3pt shot, he is not worth playing

In order worst to role player:

Scals
Giddens
Walker
Hudson
Sheldon
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:06:09 PM by Chief »
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 01:04:08 PM »

Offline shonibates

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
I believe Chief nailed the evaluation perfectly in the previous post.  Scal looks lost against average competion,

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 01:04:46 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I don't trust Doc's evaluation of young players. Giddens can't get off the bench then suddenly starts. That makes no sense. Is he now ahead of Scals when everyone is healthy?

I only know what I see when Doc finally puts the players in the game. Here is my evaluations:

Scals
Giddens
Walker
Hudson
Sheldon

Why?  Look at the results of young players he has given chances when there was injuries.  

And JR did not jump over Scali and House in the rotation.  Doc just left them in their normal roles.  When the other players are back, JR will go back to being inactive.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 01:08:16 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

I only know what I see when Doc finally puts the players in the game. Here is my evaluations:

Scals
Giddens
Walker
Hudson
Sheldon

Why?  Look at the results of young players he has given chances when there was injuries.  

And JR did not jump over Scali and House in the rotation.  Doc just left them in their normal roles.  When the other players are back, JR will go back to being inactive.

What results has Scals given?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 01:09:43 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Scals
Giddens
Walker
Hudson
Sheldon

In the past, good team defense.  An amazing record when he starts at PF. 

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 01:18:44 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

Scals
Giddens
Walker
Hudson
Sheldon

In the past, good team defense.  An amazing record when he starts at PF. 

I agree, in the past he played good team defense and even stretched the defense with his long range shooting. But this season he has regressed. He is the worst player on this team, right now. Giddens being a close second.

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 01:23:39 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

I only know what I see when Doc finally puts the players in the game. Here are my evaluations:

Scals
Giddens
Walker
Hudson
Sheldon

TP for this one... is not that I don't trust Doc's evaluation, I just don't understand it... Remember when Kevin Garnett was injured he would always start Brian Scalabrine (who we haven't still lost a game yet with when starting), if it were for a long stretch like last years, he'll start Glen Davis. I just don't get how a bottom of the barrel player who's played a total of 8 NBA minutes in 2 years starts a game.

If that isn't the worse way to kill a man's confidence and momentum I don't know what is...

Scal: goes from coming off the bench, to starting, to not playing at all, to coming off the bench to not playing at all, to coming off the bench once again...

Shelden: goes from coming off the bench, to not playing at all, to coming off the bench to not playing at all, to coming off the bench once again...

Tony: goes from coming off the bench, to starting, to not playing at all, to coming off the bench to not playing at all, to coming off the bench, to starting once again...

Glen: goes from coming off the bench, to starting, to not playing at all, to coming off the bench to not playing at all, to coming off the bench once again...

Eddie: goes from coming off the bench, to starting, to coming off the bench, to starting, to coming off the bench once again...

J.R.: goes from not playing at all, to starting ??? Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.

It will get very interesting when this team gets healthy what Doc decides to do then. I really don't see this same roster come the trading deadline nor playoffs.

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Starting isn't that important. It's the same reason why House didn't start for Rondo or Posey didn't start for KG two seasons ago. The goal is to mess with the rotations as little as possible. Happens a lot, most NBA coaches follow this philosophy, I don't get the surprise.

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 01:39:52 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

Scals
Giddens
Walker
Hudson
Sheldon

Putting Giddens in to start makes it so that the rotations off the bench aren't messed with, and I'm fine with that. Besides, if we put Giddens in with the bench, his weaknesses may be more exposed than with the starters.

Realize that with the lineup we had last night, the bench didn't include Wallace or even TA. Just Hudson, House, Scal, BBD, and Shelden. You want Giddens off the bench, ONE of those other guys have to start. Given the circumstances, I'm ok with Giddens starting. You know Scal's not going to be benched, whether you like it or not, and I know you don't want him starting, so I think Doc did ok.

After all...we did win. :)

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 01:40:14 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
Starting isn't that important. It's the same reason why House didn't start for Rondo or Posey didn't start for KG two seasons ago. The goal is to mess with the rotations as little as possible. Happens a lot, most NBA coaches follow this philosophy, I don't get the surprise.

Starting Giddens in front of Hudson was important. It tells everyone that Doc has Giddens in front of Hudson. Even though last night, Hudson would have made more sense to start since the team needed a pg.

Larry Bird