Author Topic: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband  (Read 20681 times)

Re: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2019, 03:23:23 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Fan side of the story

https://twitter.com/jjsportsbeat/status/1105317021686751234?s=21

I believe the fan. He has the backing of every fan in his vicinity about what he said

Westbrook and many sports players seem to think they are oppressed victims its pretty funny if you think about it.. 

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2019, 03:27:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.  .
it doesn't depend on anything

You can call me any racial or derogatory slur in the book. I respect peoples freedom of speech, so I'd never threaten anyone's life or physical well being. If someone threatened my life, then id have to defend myself but words like those aren't threats

This is just another unprofessional moment in the life of Westbrook,  guy with history of being trashy with fans and media

Westbrook isn't going to follow through with taking someone's life, so wouldn't his words just fall under freedom of speech too? Or do the goalposts get moved for him?

Threats aren’t protected speech.

Since we’re in the weeds with protected speech, is “****ing someone up” a clear threat, or would a lawyer be able to make a compelling argument that the phrase isn’t properly defined?

Lawyers can make a compelling argument for just about anything.  ;) However, on its face and in context it's a threat.  Even if the actions might generally only be considered disorderly conduct in some jurisdictions, its still not protected speech.

Still has to be considered a threat of violence.

Someone is definitely allowed to 'threaten to glare at you' or 'threaten to have you thrown out' or 'threaten to sue you' and such.

I can already hear Westbrook's lawyer explaining that "_______ you up" meant he was threatening to call security.

Whether a judge will buy that .... who knows?  Probably depends on the judge.

I suppose if the judge / arbitrator was on the take, or had a brain injury.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2019, 03:38:18 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
The boyfriend (not husband) says that he made a comment about Westbrook icing his knees, since he was wearing what he thought were ice packs.  He also says his girlfriend never said a word, and that it was her first NBA game.

I'm not sure I buy that, although I guess "ice pack on your knees" and "get back on your knees" do sound very similar.

That sounds about as likely as Westbrook meaning 'F you up' in a non-aggressive way (as another poster posited as a defense tactic of Westbrook).

Sounds like the fan was a jerk; I'd tend to bet that the comment was homophobic and not a reference to subjugation/slavery; Westbrook was wrong; He should get a 1 game suspension for threatening bodily injury and the fan should be on a probation list and banned if something similar happens again.

For The Win has an article on this:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/russell-westbrook-jazz

that includes a link to the fan's twitter.   I think it is most likely that the comment was racist in nature and not homophobic.   Either way doesn't make it any less revolting, though.

I concur that Westbrook should get fined and suspended and this fan should be banned.

I saw the Tweets last night but didn't want to post before confirmation (his account's locked). This seems like it's supporting that they're real - some of them can't be posted due to language but this is the one that stood out:

Golly do you think he's talking about California?
Not surprising, if we all had to guess.

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2019, 03:45:16 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The boyfriend (not husband) says that he made a comment about Westbrook icing his knees, since he was wearing what he thought were ice packs.  He also says his girlfriend never said a word, and that it was her first NBA game.

I'm not sure I buy that, although I guess "ice pack on your knees" and "get back on your knees" do sound very similar.

That sounds about as likely as Westbrook meaning 'F you up' in a non-aggressive way (as another poster posited as a defense tactic of Westbrook).

Sounds like the fan was a jerk; I'd tend to bet that the comment was homophobic and not a reference to subjugation/slavery; Westbrook was wrong; He should get a 1 game suspension for threatening bodily injury and the fan should be on a probation list and banned if something similar happens again.

that includes a link to the fan's twitter.   I think it is most likely that the comment was racist in nature and not homophobic.   Either way doesn't make it any less revolting, though.

I concur that Westbrook should get fined and suspended and this fan should be banned.

I saw the Tweets last night but didn't want to post before confirmation (his account's locked). This seems like it's supporting that they're real - some of them can't be posted due to language but this is the one that stood out:

is there any proof that tweet ever existed? I can make that fake tweet very quickly in PhotoShop

Anyways, it doesnt seem racist still. Its still a reference to Westbrook he doesnt seem to target a race but continues to target Westbrook... So yes I believe its California but I truly believe that image is fake 

That MAGA screenshot is supposedly faked. That said, there is no world in which you're credibly arguing that if it were real, it wouldn't be racist. Go back to... California? Really now? Please.

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2019, 03:50:40 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Not surprising, if we all had to guess.
nice to see you fell victim to fake news and fake hate crimes lol

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2019, 03:51:32 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

is there any proof that tweet ever existed? I can make that fake tweet very quickly in PhotoShop

Anyways, it doesnt seem racist still. Its still a reference to Westbrook he doesnt seem to target a race but continues to target Westbrook... So yes I believe its California but I truly believe that image is fake 

That MAGA screenshot is supposedly faked. That said, there is no world in which you're credibly arguing that if it were real, it wouldn't be racist. Go back to... California? Really now? Please.
yes really. Why would a sports fan target one person racially? That makes no logical sense 

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2019, 03:52:25 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
... are you seriously asking me "why would someone say something racist to another person?"

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2019, 03:56:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Seriously? The media is falling for fake “racist Trump supporter attacks ____” stories again?  Maybe the fan can sue USA Today using the Covington Catholic kid’s defamation attorney.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2019, 03:59:10 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
That tweet in particular is supposedly faked, but there are plenty of nasty and downright bad tweets from the guy's account that were confirmed by cross-matching Google caches of his feed - including the one where he called Westbrook a POS and said he needed his ass kicked. Sorry, but I'm not going to believe that same guy went from feeling like that during the playoffs last year to seeking a "pleasant, jocular convo" with Westbrook. The fact that Jazz players (Sefolosha earlier today and Mitchell a short while ago) are starting to speak out against the incident leads me to believe they got some more information about it that makes them believe Westbrook's side of the story.

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2019, 04:01:01 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
If 'Shane Keisel" or whatever his name is apologized for how he came across to Westbrook AND if RW apologized for how he came across to his wife then they can move forward.

Shane started this. Can't say this stuff to people.

I also recommend they hug and sing THIS song together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmYLrxR0Y8

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2019, 04:02:58 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
If 'Shane Keisel" or whatever his name is apologized for how he came across to Westbrook AND if RW apologized for how he came across to his wife then they can move forward.

Not happening: the guy plans to file a lawsuit against Westbrook, apparently. Predictable scumbag move from a scumbag.

https://ksltv.com/409785/fan-responds-allegations-racist-comments-russell-westbrook/

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2019, 04:04:27 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Not happening: the guy plans to file a lawsuit against Westbrook, apparently. Predictable scumbag move from a scumbag.

https://ksltv.com/409785/fan-responds-allegations-racist-comments-russell-westbrook/

Too bad. Fan wants to make money off of RW. I hope and assume his lawsuit gets tossed.

« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2019, 04:05:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
That tweet in particular is supposedly faked, but there are plenty of nasty and downright bad tweets from the guy's account that were confirmed by cross-matching Google caches of his feed - including the one where he called Westbrook a POS and said he needed his ass kicked. Sorry, but I'm not going to believe that same guy went from feeling like that during the playoffs last year to seeking a "pleasant, jocular convo" with Westbrook. The fact that Jazz players (Sefolosha earlier today and Mitchell a short while ago) are starting to speak out against the incident leads me to believe they got some more information about it that makes them believe Westbrook's side of the story.

I’m skeptical either one is telling the full truth.

I do have a hard time with a star player threatening to beat up a woman, though, even if her date is a jerk.

« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2019, 04:18:51 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

yes really. Why would a sports fan target one person racially? That makes no logical sense

Jackie Robinson among several others over the years say hello. 

Sports fandom has never been logical.    Some people take this stuff way too seriously, take it personally, just over imbibe, and end up crossing the line.  It's certainly gotten better over the decades but there are still those out there that have no problem crossing the line with homophobic, racist, or other derogatory speech

There are three sides to the story here; what Russell says, what the fan says, and the truth. 

Pretty sure what we're seeing here is neither party coming totally clean about what happened. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2019, 04:20:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Can someone post a link that proves that #MAGA was faked. I went looking on Google and found nothing.

Is it also fake news that he had a bunch of other bad posts he made about Westbrook but has been on a deleting binge since the incident? I am seeing everywhere that he deleting a ton of stuff off his Twitter account.