Author Topic: Rozier Making Lowe's 'Don't Like' List  (Read 1279 times)

Rozier Making Lowe's 'Don't Like' List
« on: January 18, 2019, 04:08:23 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
4. You too, Terry Rozier

Also tentative in the paint (at least until looking like himself against Toronto on Wednesday): Rozier, in the midst of a disappointing campaign off the Celtics' bench.

Jonas Valanciunas should not frighten Scary Terry into picking up his dribble 18 feet from the rim.

Only 14 percent of Rozier's shots have come from within the restricted area, a huge drop-off -- and one of the lowest marks in the league among guards. He's shooting 20 percent on long 2s, which is honestly hard to do. His drives are down. His free throws have cratered. He has the assist rate of an average wing -- not a lead playmaker -- though part of that is sharing so much time with at least one of Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward and Marcus Smart.

Rozier still hasn't cracked 40 percent from the floor in any NBA season. He is part of the reason Boston flounders on offense whenever Irving sits.

The few teams with voids at point guard -- namely Phoenix and Orlando -- have chased Rozier. He's a long, mean defender, and he should at least develop into a Patrick Beverley type next to a ball-dominant wing. In that sense, he might fit well next to Devin Booker. But he has work to do to get there.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25787638/10-things-like-including-draymond-green-kawhi-leonard-lonzo-ball-nba

Lowe isn't too harsh on Rozier but this is obviously a "don't like" in his weekly column.

Rozier's shot selection, generally, has me frustrated.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:15:12 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Rozier Making Lowe's 'Don't Like' List
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 04:18:31 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
From Lowe's lips to CStrongers' ears... Only 14% of shots are inside the restricted area? Yikes.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 04:37:31 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
4. You too, Terry Rozier

Also tentative in the paint (at least until looking like himself against Toronto on Wednesday): Rozier, in the midst of a disappointing campaign off the Celtics' bench.

Jonas Valanciunas should not frighten Scary Terry into picking up his dribble 18 feet from the rim.

Only 14 percent of Rozier's shots have come from within the restricted area, a huge drop-off -- and one of the lowest marks in the league among guards. He's shooting 20 percent on long 2s, which is honestly hard to do. His drives are down. His free throws have cratered. He has the assist rate of an average wing -- not a lead playmaker -- though part of that is sharing so much time with at least one of Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward and Marcus Smart.

Rozier still hasn't cracked 40 percent from the floor in any NBA season. He is part of the reason Boston flounders on offense whenever Irving sits.

The few teams with voids at point guard -- namely Phoenix and Orlando -- have chased Rozier. He's a long, mean defender, and he should at least develop into a Patrick Beverley type next to a ball-dominant wing. In that sense, he might fit well next to Devin Booker. But he has work to do to get there.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25787638/10-things-like-including-draymond-green-kawhi-leonard-lonzo-ball-nba

Lowe isn't too harsh on Rozier but this is obviously a "don't like" in his weekly column.

Rozier's shot selection, generally, has me frustrated.

But please tell me again, how Rozier is better than Kyrie... Pfft... The things people say amazes me.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 04:42:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don’t think Rozier’s defense is in the same category as Patrick Beverley’s.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 04:55:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Definitely not, though occasionally he shows flashes of that sort of smothering defense.

Regarding the interest in a trade by the Suns and Magic:

I would definitely be willing to trade Rozier + Yabu to the Magic for DJ Augustin and the protected 2020 OKC 1st that Orlando owns.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 04:55:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not even close. Beverley is consistently a nightmare, whereas Rozier picks and chooses when he wants to play with effort and intensity
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 05:36:51 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Not even close. Beverley is consistently a nightmare, whereas Rozier picks and chooses when he wants to play with effort and intensity

Lowe's saying he can develop into that, which is fair if you're high on Rozier's potential. Personally, I think Rozier projects more as a Reggie Jackson/Dennis Shroder type.

I would definitely be willing to trade Rozier + Yabu to the Magic for DJ Augustin and the protected 2020 OKC 1st that Orlando owns.

I think I'd do that deal. DJ is exactly what we need off the bench.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 05:43:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Lowe's saying he can develop into that, which is fair if you're high on Rozier's potential. Personally, I think Rozier projects more as a Reggie Jackson/Dennis Shroder type.

I think I'd do that deal. DJ is exactly what we need off the bench.
Oh yeah, I just don't think it's likely. Rozier is almost 25 and his defensive consistency is still all over the place.

That DJ deal would be awesome. An efficient shooter who can run the point easily and who doesn't turn it over much is exactly what we need IMO

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 05:52:33 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

Not even close.

Rozier is capable of high-level defense, but he hasn’t committed to it.  Usually he’s more interested in jumping passing lanes, leaving himself out of position in the process.

Very frustrating player this year.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 06:07:38 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

So then, let's trade for Beverley.  The Clippers have lost four in a row and may not make the playoffs.  Even if they do, they have no chance in the first round.  Trading for Rozier will give them a chance to see a young player first hand and he's a restricted free agent.  Beverley will give us what we need off the bench.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 06:13:38 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 06:15:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

So then, let's trade for Beverley.  The Clippers have lost four in a row and may not make the playoffs.  Even if they do, they have no chance in the first round.  Trading for Rozier will give them a chance to see a young player first hand and he's a restricted free agent.  Beverley will give us what what we need off the bench.
I'd probably prefer a guy who is more efficient scoring the ball (like DJ Augustin) than a guy like Beverley, but honestly I'd have both over Rozier on this team.
Unsure if LAC would want Rozier long term next to SGA though

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 06:36:11 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Hm.... this seems odd to get all wired about.

I mean, Rozier was never super aggressive to the hoop anyway.  Yes, 14% (percentage of his shots within 3 feet of the hoop) is definitely a low number.  But it was only 18% last year.

Even if we look at just the stretch last year when he was starting (Mar 14 through the playoffs), his percentage of shots within 3 feet was still only 19.6%.  Definitely a lot higher than when he comes off the bench (which is mainly what he's doing this year), but still nowhere near the second coming of Isaiah Thomas.

All that said, his percentage of all shots within 10 feet of the hoop is pretty identical as last year:  ~30%.  So he's still going into the paint at about the same rate.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 06:50:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Definitely not, though occasionally he shows flashes of that sort of smothering defense.

I would too. Augustin has been solid this year, but would they do it?

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 06:55:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
All that said, his percentage of all shots within 10 feet of the hoop is pretty identical as last year:  ~30%.  So he's still going into the paint at about the same rate.

You can’t really equate “in the paint” with “within 3 feet”, though. They’re two totally different zones, with two wildly different outcomes.

Terry finishes at a 68% rate within three feet.   From 3 to 10 feet, he shoots 29%. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 06:59:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I would too. Augustin has been solid this year, but would they do it?
I dunno, but I'm unsure why they wouldn't. Terry is probably a better starter, and clearly has more upside. He also definitely suits their timeline better, except they might have to pay him $12+ million a year.

Augustin seems just a bit out of place on that roster