Author Topic: Stretch 4 options  (Read 6111 times)

Re: Stretch 4 options
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 04:14:44 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Just as a side not I think its funny when we see a thread suggesting a trade for a young guy, recently drafted on a rookie contract. if he's good enough that C's fans would want him he's almost assuredly not going to be traded by the team that has him. Young guys on rookie deals who have shown anything almost never get traded unless its a prospect for star deal.

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 04:23:09 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
What about the Celtics' roster and Brad Stevens' lineups tells you that he wants a "stretch 4"? Brad didn't go to this 1-3-1 lineup just because that's the roster Ainge handed him.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 04:34:00 PM by ETNCeltics »

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 12:26:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
What about the Celtics' roster and Brad Stevens' lineups tells you that he wants a "stretch 4"? Brad didn't go to this 1-3-1 lineup just because that's the roster Ainge handed him.

I think that is debatable.  Last season, we had the personnel to allow us to play 1 pg, 3 wing, 1 big but most often did not.  We did sometimes but our most frequent line up was with Horford+Morris with Irving, Smart, and Tatum.

What ever Stevens is doing seems to be working so it is hard to complain but I think we need more size on the floor or this will catch up with us.

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 12:56:07 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Go after Baynes!

Can't unless he gets moved to an other team and then cut. But Haynes on this team would be amazing.

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 04:59:33 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Anderson seems past done, but does anyone have interest in kicking the tires?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-rockets-waiving-ryan-anderson-174002778.html

I'm guessing no cuz he makes Kanter look like Ben Wallace.

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 07:33:15 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-rockets-waiving-ryan-anderson-174002778.html

I saw that as well, and I was wondering the same thing. 

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 07:37:22 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

What benefit does Ryan Anderson offer over just playing Tatum, Brown, or Hayward at the 4? He can't punish people inside and can't defend bugs to save his life. Any minutes that went to him rather then one of our wings or Smart would be a huge loss (and he couldn't take minutes from our bigs because he can't be the only big on the floor)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 07:43:49 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

What benefit does Ryan Anderson offer over just playing Tatum, Brown, or Hayward at the 4? He can't punish people inside and can't defend bugs to save his life. Any minutes that went to him rather then one of our wings or Smart would be a huge loss (and he couldn't take minutes from our bigs because he can't be the only big on the floor)

veteran depth, and a guy that can hit 3's?  I dunno, maybe I am stretching...

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2019, 07:48:51 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Our wings can already hit 3s. The vet depth could be a legit concern come the playoffs, but 1. Brown, Tatum, and Smart already have a ton of playoff experience despite their age, and 2. if we bring someone in for vet depth purposes, it should either be a Robin Lopez-type defending/rebounding big or a legit bench scorer
I'm bitter.

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2019, 07:56:18 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Our wings can already hit 3s. The vet depth could be a legit concern come the playoffs, but 1. Brown, Tatum, and Smart already have a ton of playoff experience despite their age, and 2. if we bring someone in for vet depth purposes, it should either be a Robin Lopez-type defending/rebounding big or a legit bench scorer

I meant a big guy off the bench who can hit 3's, as in the title of the thread - stretch 4 options.  As much as I love Grant W, he doesn't seem like he will be hitting 3s for us this year.  Hopefully eventually.

Like I said, I am not sure that this is a solution, but just that Anderson did have some skills that would be good in a Brad type offense.  Now are those skills still good enough for him to carve out minutes over our young inexperienced bench?  not sure.

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2019, 08:19:02 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

I meant a big guy off the bench who can hit 3's, as in the title of the thread - stretch 4 options.  As much as I love Grant W, he doesn't seem like he will be hitting 3s for us this year.  Hopefully eventually.

Like I said, I am not sure that this is a solution, but just that Anderson did have some skills that would be good in a Brad type offense.  Now are those skills still good enough for him to carve out minutes over our young inexperienced bench?  not sure.

But what does a guy like Ryan Anderson add over a wing playing the 4 in small ball? He doesn't play better D on bigs, isn't a better rebounder, and can't punish teams inside if they go small, so there's no benefit to someone like him.

There are some stretch 4s that could help the team a lot (like one that can play average or better defense, or is pretty good at hitting the boards), but in today's NBA Ryan Anderson is just a slower, worse version of a wing. Being bigger and taller isn't an advantage if you never use it

If we go after a stretch 4, it needs to be someone that adds more than shooting (probably defense or rebounding, since we don't really have any bigs that can do those and stretch the floor. Guys like that are hard to find/get, though)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2019, 08:46:49 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I want Maxi Kleber.

6'10", can stretch the floor, can protect the rim, good runner. I really think he's perfect for Brad's system.

Depending on where we are in the standings, but if we are on the top of the league, I won't mind giving up a first for him. With him being locked up in a four year contract, it would be worth it. I think he could be a better player than who we can get in the late 20s of the first round.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2019, 08:50:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I want Maxi Kleber.

6'10", can stretch the floor, can protect the rim, good runner. I really think he's perfect for Brad's system.

Depending on where we are in the standings, but if we are on the top of the league, I won't mind giving up a first for him. With him being locked up in a four year contract, it would be worth it. I think he could be a better player than who we can get in the late 20s of the first round.
I don't think he'd be available for a pick given that the Mavs aren't going to have cap space for a while and are looking to contend.

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2019, 08:51:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Andreson is no longer a rotation player in the league. Just too much of a liability on D given how small the league is at the 4 now-a-days.

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2019, 09:09:00 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I want Maxi Kleber.

I don't think he'd be available for a pick given that the Mavs aren't going to have cap space for a while and are looking to contend.

Maybe they will.

They still have Dwight Powell who can take over the starting PF spot. We trade Semi and maybe another guy to match the contract, along with a 1st and they might bite. Especially if they are not around the top of the West.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace