Author Topic: Michael Porter cancels 2nd pro day over strained hip, Huerter has hand surgery  (Read 4627 times)

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Star potential trumps injury risk. 

Not always just ask Jared Sullinger, he dropped like a lead weight in his draft.

Sully's lack of discipline was more of a factor than his health. Its the same reason he's out of the league now. But even then, he was a solid player.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sully's star as a high school prospect and a draft prospect after his freshman year at OSU was every bit as high as any of the bigs at the top of this draft.

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Not always just ask Jared Sullinger, he dropped like a lead weight in his draft.
Harry Giles a more recent and comparable guy that dropped he had big star potential and hype much like Porter. Depending on the injury this can be bad for Porter
Sullinger was more highly rated after his freshman season.  After his sophomore season, he was projected to go around 10th before the injury.  Giles had big hype coming out of high school but he didn't look anything close to being a star playing at Duke.  Cliff Alexander had huge hype coming out of high school too and he ended up not getting drafted at all because of his poor college play. 

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Sully's star as a high school prospect and a draft prospect after his freshman year at OSU was every bit as high as any of the bigs at the top of this draft.
He should have come out as a freshman.  His sophomore season showed his limitations even before the injury. 

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
You do not trade for an injured player

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Michael Porter Jr. has been cleared for second pro day evaluation Friday in Chicago for NBA draft lottery teams, his agency informed teams.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1007449192460103680

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Jonathan Givony (@DraftExpress) on J&J (92.9FM/680AM) says he’s hearing that there’s a strong likelihood Michael Porter Jr. will redshirt his first NBA season.

https://twitter.com/JasonSmith929/status/1009113081543319552

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Jonathan Givony (@DraftExpress) on J&J (92.9FM/680AM) says he’s hearing that there’s a strong likelihood Michael Porter Jr. will redshirt his first NBA season.

https://twitter.com/JasonSmith929/status/1009113081543319552
Wow. If that's true that could be massive.

Please pick him Sacramento  ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sully's lack of discipline was more of a factor than his health. Its the same reason he's out of the league now. But even then, he was a solid player.

Nope, you misread the comment.   I was stating that Sullinger fell in the draft because of back injury.

I bet Sam Bowie agrees with you.

He should have come out as a freshman.  His sophomore season showed his limitations even before the injury.

You can polish a fecal ball and it is still a fecal ball.   His flaws would have surfaced no matter what.

The league is changing, so I would not agree.   While he was back then and I complete agree in the past tense.   Today, he would be seen not as a modern NBA big.   He could not stretch the floor as his shot was poor, he was mediocre to poor athlete and could not have guarded multiple positions.

Porter is the one guy I do not want us to draft.   His health scares me, I see skill when I watch the guy but there is something about this athletic ability that I don't trust.   He does not elevate well.