Author Topic: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft - VOTES ARE IN  (Read 154642 times)

Re: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft
« Reply #525 on: December 01, 2020, 01:00:13 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I like that everyone is giving love to Drexler. lol
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #526 on: December 01, 2020, 02:35:55 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Tossing back and forth between a few guys for my next pick. Two guards (one PG one SG) and two centers.

Leaning towards the PG right now. I did not expect the PG to be available. I had him going early 2nd.

Good to have a day to think it over.
I think I have an idea of which point guard you’re talking about. Also shocked he hasn’t been picked.
I have an idea of which shooting guard Who is talking about, but point guard? There are a few really good ones left imo, the position is stacked.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #527 on: December 01, 2020, 02:37:05 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I like that everyone is giving love to Drexler. lol
He's a great player lol, good piece to build around if you can't get a game-changing player.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #528 on: December 01, 2020, 02:42:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tossing back and forth between a few guys for my next pick. Two guards (one PG one SG) and two centers.

Leaning towards the PG right now. I did not expect the PG to be available. I had him going early 2nd.

I think I have an idea of which point guard you’re talking about. Also shocked he hasn’t been picked.
I have an idea of which shooting guard Who is talking about, but point guard? There are a few really good ones left imo, the position is stacked.
I have my eyes on a specific PG. He might not be the best one left, but he fits my team to a tee. He will be my next selection as I wouldn't see him being available at the end of round 4.

« Reply #529 on: December 01, 2020, 02:58:41 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

I have my eyes on a specific PG. He might not be the best one left, but he fits my team to a tee. He will be my next selection as I wouldn't see him being available at the end of round 4.

I currently have 11 pgs I would like to add to my core so far, another 3 that would work just fine.

Have 2 guys left on my top 15 still on the board. Kind of surprised about that
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #530 on: December 01, 2020, 03:15:45 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I think Miller is the most overrated player history, that said, he is an excellent player to pair with Giannis.
Now that is strange to me. Miller was a genuinely elite scorer who powered a decade of strong Pacer offences, his numbers were suppressed by the incredibly slow pace of the game when he peaked in the mid-90s and his scoring was additive in a way that others cannot replicate - Miller doesn't need the ball to drop his nightly "27 points" (that's his peak playoff scoring rate adjusted for pace) on sky-high efficiency against the toughest of defences.
Reggie was absolutely an elite shooter (one of the best ever), but he was a poor defender, didn't rebound, didn't pass well, wasn't a great ballhandler, etc.  Even with a slower pace he only hit 23 ppg once in his career (his 3rd year).  His FTr was good, but not great.  He was basically a catch and shoot player.  He made the 3rd Team All NBA 3 times in his career, received MVP votes just twice (13th and 16th), made just 5 All Star games, etc.  His contemporaries knew what he was, yet if you talk to people today, they make it seem like he was this monster only slightly worse than Jordan.  So that is what I mean when I say he is the most overrated player ever.
Hyperbole much? Miller was a feisty man defender who admittedly was a mixed bag as a team defender, but this is hardly worse than say Drexler on that end of the floor. He wasn't a good passer or ballhandler, but his passing was good enough to find openings in opposing defences and his off-ball creation made up for his limitations a bit in that regard: his shooting gravity would pull away extra defenders and create openings for his teammates. His "23 ppg" is impressive because it wasn't far off from the scoring rate of players like Drexler once adjusted for pace - his scoring per 100 possessions actually hovered around 30 points for most of his prime, Drexler peaked slightly higher but on significantly lower efficiency. And this isn't even accounting for Reggie's playoff improvement that holds true for his entire career: he peaked at 35-37 points per 100 in his '94 and '95 conference final runs, Drexler peaked at 33 in '92 on much lower efficiency. Miller wasn't Jordan, but he was one of the best non-Jordan SGs in that era and played forever.

Award voters had no idea of who he was, his contemporaries (Isiah Thomas and other former players on the show Open Court have spoken about him being a franchise player for Indiana who was underrated) did - he should've been an All-NBA mainstay, but was consistently snubbed by the media because they only looked at his raw slash line and FG%, much like what you're doing now.
not what I'm doing.  I watched his games pretty consistently when he was playing.  He was definitely a big moment player, but he wasn't nearly as good as you make him out to be.  He was a bad defender. He tried, but he wasn't any good.  He was an awful rebounder and a poor passer.  He didn't handle the ball well at all.  He was an elite shooter from everywhere on the floor, but that is about it.  What makes guys like Clyde better players is he was a much better all around player.  Clyde rebounded quite well, was a pretty good passer, etc.  He wasn't just a scorer/shooter and that is all Miller was.  I mean Clyde had several seasons where his rpg, apg, spg, and bpg eclipsed Reggie's career best per 100 possessions.  Reggie was the ultimate catch and shoot player and is a great fit next to Giannis but he was no where near the player of guys like Clyde.
Then I'm not quite sure what were you watching. His defence was definitely not bad, poor defenders can't play pesky man defence and decent team defence. His rebounding wasn't great, but it wasn't poor either - his defensive rebounding rates were middle of the pack among guards in his time. His handle was below average, but it didn't matter a lot when he was scoring in bunches at insane efficiency with some creation in a few dribbles at most. He wasn't just an elite shooter, his foul drawing and off-ball movement to take advantage of the gravity his shooting ability created were elite as well and it resulted in a scoring dynamo who didn't need the ball like other offensive stars to do his thing, and defenders couldn't really slow him down (those playoff jumps were a result of him ramping up his aggression in the playoffs when his teams needed extra punch offensively against elite defences because everything else just dries up, and he delivered every postseason throughout his prime).

Clyde being better at rebounding and passing as well as stocks certainly gives him a bit of extra value compared to Reggie in those things, but it doesn't move the needle much in terms of overall impact when the bulk of their value came from offence. Reggie's off-ball creation helps reduce the gap between them in terms of creating for others while Reggie separates himself from Drexler in scoring volume and efficiency, as well as the fact that his off-ball offence fits incredibly well next to on-ball talent while there will be diminishing returns for Drexler. Really don't see either of them being clearly better than the other tbh, just because Miller was constantly snubbed by the media in his time or his game not fitting in with your preconceived notion of what constitutes a superstar doesn't make him notably worse than Drexler.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #531 on: December 01, 2020, 03:16:19 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Hm this sounds concerning, we might be looking at the same guy :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #532 on: December 01, 2020, 03:24:12 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
And just a heads up everyone, i just got scheduled for an xray tomorrow around the time when I will be picking.

So ai will miss the couple of picks prior and I may be a few minutes late with my pick.

Figured since I am last pick tomorrow it really doesnt matter too too much.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #533 on: December 01, 2020, 03:27:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
And just a heads up everyone, i just got scheduled for an xray tomorrow around the time when I will be picking.

So ai will miss the couple of picks prior and I may be a few minutes late with my pick.

Figured since I am last pick tomorrow it really doesnt matter too too much.
It really doesn't matter because you have last pick. Heck, you could just make it on Thursday morning before you make your other pick, if truth be told.

« Reply #534 on: December 01, 2020, 03:34:22 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I have one guy (*hint* combo guard *hint*) that would be perfect for my team. I just hope Who or Nick don't swindle him away from me  ;)
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #535 on: December 01, 2020, 04:18:44 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
I have one guy (*hint* combo guard *hint*) that would be perfect for my team. I just hope Who or Nick don't swindle him away from me  ;)

Bruno Coboclo?
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #536 on: December 01, 2020, 04:21:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Bruno Coboclo?   :angel:
Hey...no mentioning available and eligible players. Someone might want to draft the guy that is two years away from being two years away from being two years away from being good.

« Reply #537 on: December 01, 2020, 04:41:17 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

Hey...no mentioning available and eligible players. Someone might want to draft the guy that is two years away from being two years away from being two years away from being good.

How many years has it been now for that kid?

That was a big swing and a miss there. Lol.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #538 on: December 01, 2020, 04:44:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

6 or 7. Not sure which.

« Reply #539 on: December 01, 2020, 04:46:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

6 or 7. Not sure which.
Yeah, he’s 25 (!)

Crazy stuff.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)