Poll

What grade would you give C's new play-by-play guy Drew Carter in his opening season?

A
7 (29.2%)
B
12 (50%)
C
5 (20.8%)
D
0 (0%)
F
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Grade Drew Carter, celtics play-by-play guy  (Read 1546 times)

Grade Drew Carter, celtics play-by-play guy
« on: March 20, 2024, 02:31:26 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Simple question, how would you rate the new ply-by-play guy? Does he do a good job following the action, does he have good call phrases? Like his voice? Ect Ect.

Re: Grade Drew Carter, celtics play-by-play guy
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 02:38:55 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I think he’s got a terrific play-by-play voice.  I think he’s a bit too jocular with Scal at times, but I blame that more on Scal, who very much likes to make jokes at his broadcast or studio partners, with the normal exception of how he treats Mike Gorman.  Despite that, the two of them have developed a good rapport, which I think is a compliment to Drew.  He also clearly does his homework before every game — he knows the background of every player on the opposing team, never stumbles on a name, etc.  I do expect him to be the voice of the Celtics for a long time unless a nationwide broadcaster snatches him up.  He’s good at his job.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 02:44:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd give him a B+.  He's not Prime Mike, but he's got decent chemistry with Scal (which has been a work in progress over the season), he keeps up with the action, he's got a good voice.  Sometimes he overtalks or things don't connect, but for a rookie he's been a pleasant surprise. 

That said, I still wish they'd gone with Grande.  He's more enmeshed in Boston and Celtics fandom.  Carter doesn't have that same allegiance; it's like he's a carpet bagger. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 02:52:34 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I'd give him a B+.  He's not Prime Mike, but he's got decent chemistry with Scal (which has been a work in progress over the season), he keeps up with the action, he's got a good voice.  Sometimes he overtalks or things don't connect, but for a rookie he's been a pleasant surprise. 

That said, I still wish they'd gone with Grande.  He's more enmeshed in Boston and Celtics fandom.  Carter doesn't have that same allegiance; it's like he's a carpet bagger.

Ironically, Grande left Boston for Minnesota for three years in the late 90s-early 2000s, where conveniently Drew Carter was in his formative years.  Perhaps toddler Drew Carter listened to Grande his brain absorbed how to be a great announcer.

I’m a Grande fan, and was bummed for him when he didn’t get the job, because he clearly wanted it, but I also think Drew Carter got it on merit and is quickly becoming a Bostonian.  He’s young enough where he won’t be a carpet-bagger for long.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 02:58:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Great voice. Smooth. Not over-polished or broadcaster voice. Well studied. Plays well with others.  Comfortable in his role(s). Given his age, I give him an A.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 03:09:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I give him a B. It would've been an A but he's not Mike. He could be an A in 5 or 10 years.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 03:30:03 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
B.

There's NEVER gonna be another Mike Gorman but the kid has a good feel for play by play and stays on top of the action.  Solid voice.  Already has pretty solid chemistry with Scal. 

The biggest letdown is going from Gorman's rich local accent to Carter's rather vanilla voice.  But you just don't see guys like Gorman around anymore. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 03:44:57 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
B

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 04:07:05 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
A-/B+.  Great voice, calls the game well, does his homework, knowledgeable about the players - even guys pretty deep on the opponent's depth chart.  Does great with Scal, which hasn't been a sure thing for some of our other fill-in guys in the past.  A little hit-and-miss on the quippy one-liners but I like him quite a bit.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 04:25:27 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
He also clearly does his homework before every game — he knows the background of every player on the opposing team, never stumbles on a name, etc.

On the homework piece, one thing that kind of annoys me is Drew talking about historical things.

There's definitely a certain charm when Mike or Grande talk about historical things because they were there live (and I also kind of like when Mike asks Scal about something from maybe the Bird era and Scal will be like "Mike, I was 8 years old").  So it feels kind of weird to me hear Carter reference past things (even though he's done his homework) vs hearing it from guys who lived it.  (And don't worry, the irony that many of us passionately discuss players/teams before our time is not lost on me).

Not really a knock on Carter (nothing he can do about it), but just something that feels a little weird when I hear it.  Goes a long with Roy's carpetbagger comment.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2024, 04:44:34 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Ironically, Grande left Boston for Minnesota for three years in the late 90s-early 2000s, where conveniently Drew Carter was in his formative years.  Perhaps toddler Drew Carter listened to Grande his brain absorbed how to be a great announcer.

I’m a Grande fan, and was bummed for him when he didn’t get the job, because he clearly wanted it, but I also think Drew Carter got it on merit and is quickly becoming a Bostonian.  He’s young enough where he won’t be a carpet-bagger for long.

"Well, it all depends on how you look at it. I mean, you might think that you're more from here than me, for example. But I've been living here longer than you been alive. So who's right"?

I think Carter is fine: so I've rated him a C. He's never going to be the local guy that Mike was, but the truth of the matter is that it's unlikely that we'll ever get anyone like that again: the industry is too competitive now, and the talent moves to where the jobs are.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2024, 06:01:04 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I give him an A- (so A for this poll). He gives you everything you want, has good knowledge of the game, and he has a great voice for the role.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 06:10:13 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2024, 06:34:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
I like him. Thought he’s had a solid overall first year. Hard to fairly evaluate him given he’s only doing road games plus it being Mike’s farewell tour.

Man, I sure hope we get one more chip to send Mike off in style.

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2024, 08:24:13 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I think he’s very knowledgeable in terms of basketball in general and Celtics info in particular. I just feel he sometimes goes overboard when he makes fun of opposing teams’ players which comes off as arrogant.

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2024, 08:32:56 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Agree with this, I think Drew has plenty of time to grow into being a Boston fixture. I think he's been great, he has a good voice and he has some good chemistry with Scal and with the rest of the NBC Sports Boston team. As for Grande I thought Chad Finn said it was because Grande (and Max) signed extensions with 98.5 the Sports Hub to keep calling games on the radio? Though I'm sure contracts once signed are easily broken if the will is strong enough  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D