Author Topic: Wish Horford was here to see this  (Read 18753 times)

Re: Wish Horford was here to see this
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2019, 04:20:25 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
The team as constructed, is better. I don't think it is a great deal better, but, this group is an improvement.

To exploit Horford's talents, the team's tactics didn't fully exploit the rest of the player's strengths.

The Cavs aren't very good, but, they aren't that bad. The Cav's and others have no answer for this team's "spread" on offense and commitment to defense.

If Stevens gets this right, this team will elevate past their front court weakness, which includes the loss of Horford, and play the full tilt athleticism card.

I think it was their second regular season game this year, this team got caught "chucking" one after the other from the perimeter. That was the last time I remember screaming at the TV to "go inside". They all go inside now with great effect.

This year's team has a lethal balance of inside and outside from all four of their stars. I suppose, Horford's departure, unintentionally, set them free.

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2019, 05:40:18 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
F Horford.  He wanted Philly's money and I hope he likes the taste of it.

Exactly. No hard feelings to Al but he could've been here if he wanted to do. Boston was willing to meet Brooklyn's asking price in a Kyrie sign and trade so we could've kept him, but he didn't want to be here.
From listening him talking it sounded like he already committed to the 76s and didn’t want to go back on his word.... But He might have wanted to stay had he known Kemba is coming and Nets were willing to execute a S&T but time was running out and he had to secure his contract... it was Just timing issue and one too many contingencies during the first day of free agency

There's a moratorium. And Al broke off talks with the Celtics days before free agency even opened. Again, I'm not going to fault the guy for wanting another pay day but I'm also not going to act like he's a victim of circumstance. He won't ever admit it publicly but I don't think it's a long shot guess that he just thought Philly had a better chance at a title than we do.

Also, the idea that "if he known Kemba was coming he might've wanted to stay" is so lame to me and obviously just lip service for C's fans. Everyone and their mother knew Kemba was coming with all the tampering.
Except you're wrong.

Horford committed to the 76ers two weeks before free agency began. At that time, the Celtics were still holding on to hope that they could bring Kyrie back. They didn't aggressively pursue Walker until about a week before the free agency period began.

So, no; that idea is not "lip service"; it's what happened.

So if that’s the case then why did Ainge try to work out all these sign and trades? And I’m not just referring to the sign and trade between the Celts and Charlotte.

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2019, 04:06:46 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
“It’s not as good as I want to be,” Horford said Monday of his season. “I still haven’t been able to find my rhythm with the team.” That’s an understatement. Horford is averaging 12.6 points, his fewest since averaging 12.4 during the 2011-12 season. His shooting percentage (46.0) and rebounds per game (6.6) are the lowest of his 13-year career. And he has the worst free-throw percentage (69.2) over a six-season stretch. 9 hours ago – via Keith Pompey @ The Philadelphia Inquirer

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2019, 04:11:03 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
And the Sixers gave Horford 109m for 4 years?

Crazy!

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2019, 05:33:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Crazy!

Yea I will admit I wanted him back on a three year deal at solid money, unless he is injured right now, I am worried that kind of deal would have been a disaster (let alone what Philly gave him). Could end up being worst deal of offseason

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2019, 05:44:10 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Crazy!

Yea I will admit I wanted him back on a three year deal at solid money, unless he is injured right now, I am worried that kind of deal would have been a disaster (let alone what Philly gave him). Could end up being worst deal of offseason

Agree.

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2019, 06:02:06 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Poor Al with a stinker against the Pacers.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2019, 07:06:23 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Al is unhappy and wants out I smell!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2019, 08:20:39 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
An intelligent Nets fan had this to say about Al on reddit.

https://twitter.com/_emmajbrown/status/1212112490689110016/photo/1

The Celtics always had shooters next to Al. He was perfect for Brad's system and Brad's system was perfect for him.

Going from Isaiah Thomas/Kyrie Irving to Ben Simmons isn't just a downgrade in the shooting department from your point guard. It's basically eliminating shooting from the equation.

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2020, 04:56:28 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
I have thought the same thing .................... seems this group would be just what Horford would love to be a part of. I figured Horford hated the type of tension and selfishness that Irving brought to the Celtics and would have stayed here when he knew the malcontent was gone.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2020, 05:33:27 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
With the Sixers recent down slide, I can see them looking to make a major trade by the approaching deadline. Maybe something packaged with Al for CP3 for example.

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2020, 05:42:10 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
With the Sixers recent down slide, I can see them looking to make a major trade by the approaching deadline. Maybe something packaged with Al for CP3 for example.

That makes sense for the Sixers.

And OKC will save a lot of money.

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2020, 09:24:38 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Crazy!

One of the main reasons I wanted him (and Irving) back was because I wanted to retain our stars while remaining over the cap. When Danny pulled the Kemba signing out of his hat, that alleviated a lot of the worry. I assumed Hayward would take on more responsibility as the front court distributor, but I don't know that any of us imagined Theis would be such a revelation (versatile plus defender, low usage but can score in variety of ways). Kanter has also been everything he was advertised to be and Time Lord is proving to be a useful player with loads of potential.

Many assumed we would get Horford on a 3-4 yr deal worth $15-20M (max). That wasn't the case and now it's up to Philly/Horford to find the best role for him. I will admit that sometimes it takes time to integrate a new player, but I am happy with the route Danny chose.

« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2020, 09:31:24 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Crazy!

One of the main reasons I wanted him (and Irving) back was because I wanted to retain our stars while remaining over the cap. When Danny pulled the Kemba signing out of his hat, that alleviated a lot of the worry. I assumed Hayward would take on more responsibility as the front court distributor, but I don't know that any of us imagined Theis would be such a revelation (versatile plus defender, low usage but can score in variety of ways). Kanter has also been everything he was advertised to be and Time Lord is proving to be a useful player with loads of potential.

Many assumed we would get Horford on a 3-4 yr deal worth $15-20M (max). That wasn't the case and now it's up to Philly/Horford to find the best role for him. I will admit that sometimes it takes time to integrate a new player, but I am happy with the route Danny chose.

Danny didn't have a choice.

Both Kyrie and Horford wanted out.

Horford didn't even wait until July 1 to decide.

Here's the article below.

Celtics upset, claim 76ers tampered with Al Horford
https://94wip.radio.com/celtics-tampering-al-horford-sixers

« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2020, 09:35:01 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Crazy!

Danny didn't have a choice.

Both Kyrie and Horford wanted out.

Horford didn't even wait until July 1 to decide.

Here's the article below.

Celtics upset, claim 76ers tampered with Al Horford
https://94wip.radio.com/celtics-tampering-al-horford-sixers

Irving wanted out. From everything I've read, Horford might have been willing to stay, especially with Walker coming on, but the Sixers made him an offer he couldn't refuse.