Author Topic: Wish Horford was here to see this  (Read 18772 times)

Re: Wish Horford was here to see this
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2020, 09:05:31 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Also on the Horford front, if Philly somehow manages to make the Finals in the next 3 years, his guaranteed money goes up to $19.5M in that final year (and $26M if they win the Finals - but of course that would be worth it).
I think even making the Finals would make it well worth it. Remember the 76ers haven't even been to the ECF yet. Getting out of the East would be a huge accomplishment for the whole team.
Is that incentive tied to his (Horford) current team or is it tied to Philly only?

« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2020, 09:07:00 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Playing Simmons at PF with a ball dominant PG doesn't help the spacing issues created by playing him and Embiid together. Simmons at the 4 without the ball is still a massive weight on their half court offense.

That's the price to pay for drafting the alleged next Lebron in the 2016 Draft.

Simmons was a dominant PF in college.
Besides scoring in a lot of different ways, he got a lot of rebounds, and getting a lot of assists.

Right now it's very clear that Simmons at the PG position is like having a taller Rondo.

What's worse is the Sixers gave him the max.

It's a good thing it's the Sixers' problem, not ours.

Simmons is still a fantastic young player that many teams would be love to have. This isn't like being stuck with Wiggins. If Philly decided to move him tomorrow, they could easily bring back a similarly impactful player that better fits what they are trying to do with Embiid. All is not lost in Philly and we shouldn't act like it's totally game over for them. They may even figure it out with the group that they have now.

Also on the Horford front, if Philly somehow manages to make the Finals in the next 3 years, his guaranteed money goes up to $19.5M in that final year (and $26M if they win the Finals - but of course that would be worth it).

That's unlikely because the Sixers have an unbalanced roster.

Make a trade and the problem might be corrected.

But as it stands right now, Sixers are a flawed team.

« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2020, 09:07:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think even making the Finals would make it well worth it. Remember the 76ers haven't even been to the ECF yet. Getting out of the East would be a huge accomplishment for the whole team.
Is that incentive tied to his (Horford) current team or is it tied to Philly only?
Incentives like this are tied to whatever team he is a part of, so if they trade him to the Lakers and they make the Finals he'd get the extra money in year four for example.

« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2020, 09:09:13 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Playing Simmons at PF with a ball dominant PG doesn't help the spacing issues created by playing him and Embiid together. Simmons at the 4 without the ball is still a massive weight on their half court offense.
Simmons was a dominant PF in college.
Besides scoring in a lot of different ways, he got a lot of rebounds, and getting a lot of assists.
Let me put it another way, he's already guarding 4s in a lot of cases. He played "PF" at LSU in that he was the tallest player on the court for his team. He still had the ball all the time at LSU.

Taking him off the ball by importing an on ball veteran PG is going to cause issues. The biggest of issues is that Ben Simmons would be furious with the front office and coach.

I'm open to the idea of them getting another guard to play more, but he needs to be a player who isn't going to naturally handle the ball if you want the team to work from a chemistry standpoint.

Like I said, it's not our problem.

I'm only saying that CP3 for Horford is plausible.
None of its our problem, not a single one of us has to make a trade call, ice a PnR, or do any advance scouting on the Wizards.

I don't think its plausible, because Simmons and his agent would throw a fit.

That's plausible too!

« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2020, 09:33:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Philly fans are turning against Horford. He is having a tough season so far.
I won’t be surprised if they trade him for Chris Paul. They have a history of reactionary trades.
That will make them better in the short term until Paul hoes down with an injury.

Holy crap that's a good trade for both teams.  Turn Ok. City over to SGA.  Is that doable? I thought Paul was paid way more...

my opinion is that Horford has plenty left in the tank.  He hasn't been a star in the regular season for a while. In the playoffs he has often been monstrous.  Agree he's not a great fit with Embiid.  Maybe not Simmons either.  He'd have more space to operate with Gallo, despite Steven Adams...

If the Sixers take CP3 then that means they'll have to pay 30m more as CP3 has 85m left on his contract after this season.

Horford only has 54.5m of guaranteed money left after this season.
Actually the number is $69 million. The last year of Horford's deal is guaranteed at $14.5 million.

Yes, that's why I said only 54.5m is guaranteed.

The 4th year is only partially guaranteed.
Why can't you ever admit you made a mistake? $69 million is guaranteed Horford after this year. His last year is a $26.5 million year that is only guaranteed for $14.5 million. So for guaranteed money Horford has

2020-21 $27.5 million
2021-22 $27 million
2022-23 $14.5 million with $12 million non-guaranteed.

So guaranteed money owed Horford after this year is $69 million.

« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2020, 01:19:58 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If you try trading Dlo plus a filler for Al Horford in the NBA Trade machine - GSW end up with -20 wins. Ouch! lol

« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2020, 08:08:17 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
all I heard all offseason was about how getting Horford greatly improved the sixers. But what they neglected to mention was they lost Jimmy Butler and JJ Reddick and I didnt quite get how replacing an all-star in Butler and a knock down 3 point shooter in Reddick with a guy in his 30's who averages 12ppg was an improvement.

and now we see that my initial thought was correct. 76ers lost ALOT of spacing by losing reddick.