Author Topic: Ray Rice  (Read 70509 times)

Re: Ray Rice
« Reply #255 on: September 11, 2014, 01:19:29 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Should Goodell resign?  That's pretty much up to the owners.  Based on the numbers....I doubt he's going anywhere.   Goodell has done everything right up to this.  The numbers reflect that.

Yeah that's actually the opposite of true from any position or viewpoint that's even marginally tethered to reality.

Bountygate for one.  The whole concussion issue as another. 

From a pure numbers standpoint, the league has done amazing under his tenure.  He's made a lot of people very, very wealthy.

But in regards to dealing with league issues and off the field stuff, its been almost one abomination after another from this guy.

The reality is....Where the owners whom Goodell report to and their investors....The numbers are ultimately what matters.

Actually, Donaghus....I'm curious....How could he have handled either of those situations differently?  How would you have handled them?   Just asking. 

« Reply #256 on: September 11, 2014, 01:20:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
BTW, I believe this is the right 538 article:  http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/

That's the one with the arrest rate for different categories compared to American males 25-29 overall.  Would love to see how that number shifts when they control for income, though.  Or where the NBA would fall under the same standard.

« Reply #257 on: September 11, 2014, 01:24:59 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Should Goodell resign?  That's pretty much up to the owners.  Based on the numbers....I doubt he's going anywhere.   Goodell has done everything right up to this.  The numbers reflect that.

Yeah that's actually the opposite of true from any position or viewpoint that's even marginally tethered to reality.

From a pure numbers standpoint, the league has done amazing under his tenure.  He's made a lot of people very, very wealthy.

But in regards to dealing with league issues and off the field stuff, its been almost one abomination after another from this guy.

The reality is....Where the owners whom Goodell report to and their investors....The numbers are ultimately what matters.

Actually, Donaghus....I'm curious....How could he have handled either of those situations differently?  How would you have handled them?   Just asking.

If the numbers were ultimately what mattered to you you'd think much more highly of David Stern.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #258 on: September 11, 2014, 01:38:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Heck, the league had to bring in the old commissioner, Tagliabue, to clean up Goodell's mess and mishandling of the Bountygate situation.  That didn't tell you in itself that he screwed it up?  Tagliabue overturned several of Goodell's penalties there. 

The league was extremely late to the game in addressing the concussion/head injury/long term health concerns.  Goodell even claimed at one point that there was no evidence between concussions and the brain issues that retired players were experiencing.  The league turned a blind eye to it for way too long.  At one point, they essentially bullied one of their national broadcast partners out of partnering in the League of Denial documentary. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #259 on: September 11, 2014, 01:43:19 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

If the numbers were ultimately what mattered to you you'd think much more highly of David Stern.

I think Goodell has tried to keep the on-field game itself a legitimate competition.  He's managed to grow the brand while doing so. 

Stern's management of officials made the NBA on-court game almost WWEesque when Jordan was (in every game) or now...The messiah (during the regular season) is on the court.  Then the star officiating for secondary stars ...The overt travels....Carries...etc made a mockery of the on-court product. 

Selig is the ultimate hypocrite.  He profited immensely by, oversaw, and sanctioned the overt freak show that made MLB relevent again..It may have made the game more fun to watch...But it delegitimized it at the same time during that era..Like Goodells coverup and scrambling on this Rice situation...Selig's pathetic "mitchell report" and subsequent righteous indignation about the previous stuff he sanctioned makes it amazing that he's credible in anybody's eyes.

« Reply #260 on: September 11, 2014, 01:50:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
If Goodell had actually tried to keep the on-field game a 'legitimate competition' he would have already allowed for HGH testing -- the only reason the league doesn't have it is because he refuses to allow a third party to act as an arbiter for appeals.

Like I said, if you actually knew what you were talking about, you wouldn't be saying that Goodell had done everything right. But please, tell me more about Jay Z.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #261 on: September 11, 2014, 02:14:44 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
If Goodell had actually tried to keep the on-field game a 'legitimate competition' he would have already allowed for HGH testing -- the only reason the league doesn't have it is because he refuses to allow a third party to act as an arbiter for appeals.

Like I said, if you actually knew what you were talking about, you wouldn't be saying that Goodell had done everything right. But please, tell me more about Jay Z.

Yeah....Because third parties acting as arbiters work so well everywhere they're tried, don't they?   I guess the number of NFL players sanctioned for testing positive is an absolute indicator that the drug problem isn't being addressed....Right?

Whether you think Goodell has done things right or wrong is up to you. There is no question that the brand has grown substantially under his tenure.   Unlike Stern's and to a slightly....Slightly lesser degree Silver's NBA is concerned.  I don't see NFL officials ever calling the game based on uniform numbers.  The on-field game is called the same for every player. 

« Reply #262 on: September 11, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The on-field game is called the same for every player.
I got a chuckle out of this one.

CBs, QBs, and WRs get soooooo many reputation calls or non-calls.

Heck the Packers SB defense was basically built around uncalled holding by their "defensive MVP" Mr. Woodson.

« Reply #263 on: September 11, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Yeah....Because third parties acting as arbiters work so well everywhere they're tried, don't they?   I guess the number of NFL players sanctioned for testing positive is an absolute indicator that the drug problem isn't being addressed....Right?

Whether you think Goodell has done things right or wrong is up to you. There is no question that the brand has grown substantially under his tenure.   Unlike Stern's and to a slightly....Slightly lesser degree Silver's NBA is concerned.  I don't see NFL officials ever calling the game based on uniform numbers.  The on-field game is called the same for every player.

I believe that you don't see NFL officials ever calling the game based on uniform numbers.

« Reply #264 on: September 11, 2014, 03:20:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Magary for president, again:

You already know what a ****ing disaster the whole Ray Rice scandal has been for the NFL. One of the reasons it's been a disaster is because the NFL—like many large, slovenly entities—has become an organization that is primarily dedicated to its own PR, rather than the product it puts out on the field. The game of football itself is malleable in the NFL's hands. Challenge systems are added. New PATs are tinkered with. Certain rules get enforced or ignored. The game has been molded over the years into whatever the NFL needs it to be at the time. It used to be a celebration of violence. Now it's basketball. The game—and all of its related events both on and off the field—gets fed into a PR machine and **** back out.

When Roger Goodell amped up the league's domestic violence policy in the wake of the Rice furor, this is what he said:

"    Much of the criticism stemmed from a fundamental recognition that the NFL is a leader, that we do stand for important values, and that we can project those values in ways that have a positive impact beyond professional football. "

Does this sound like a man who has any internal, personal integrity? Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. and no. This is a man who is openly announcing he's trying to make the NFL look good. And what's telling here is that Goodell cannot see how transparent this is. This is strong leadership to him. He has bought into his own delusion of the NFL being America's moral compass. Why anyone would want or need values from watching a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing football game is beyond me, but that's where Roger Goodell has taken the sport … to a land of superficial authority and telegraphed values.

http://deadspin.com/everything-is-public-relations-now-1633071050

« Reply #265 on: September 11, 2014, 07:02:06 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Apparently sources have told ESPN's Outside the Lines that Ray Rice told Goodell he hit his then fiance before the suspension. If true, I think it's a 100% chance he loses his job between that and the events of this week.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/ray-rice-told-goodell-hit-fiancee/story?id=25443285

« Reply #266 on: September 11, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Summary of the pregame show tonight:

"Guys, we just want you to know that domestic violence is bad. It's really bad. Like super bad.  You guys, the NFL would really like you to know how much it wants you to know that domestic violence is bad.  Don't punch your fiancee in the face, you guys.  It's wrong.  Go try and stop domestic violence, if not for your sake, if not for her sake, then for the National Football League's sake.  Namaste and God bless."

<commercial break>

"And we're back.  It sure is good to start talking about football! Let's get focused on the game! Bill, what kind of a role do you think accused rapist Ben Roethlisberger is gonna play tonight?"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:52:57 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #267 on: September 11, 2014, 09:02:14 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Summary of the pregame show tonight:

"Guys, we just want you to know that domestic violence is bad. It's really bad. Like super bad.  You guys, the NFL would really like to know how much it wants you to know that domestic violence is bad.  Don't punch your fiancee in the face, you guys.  It's wrong.  Go try and stop domestic violence, if not for your sake, if not for her sake, then for the National Football League's sake.  Namaste and God bless."

<commercial break>

"And we're back.  It sure is good to start talking about football! Let's get focused on the game! Bill, what kind of a role do you think accused rapist Ben Roethlisberger is gonna play tonight?"

What're we gonna do today Brain?
The same thing we do every day, Pinky. Try to take over the world.

« Reply #268 on: September 12, 2014, 08:13:09 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Apparently sources have told ESPN's Outside the Lines that Ray Rice told Goodell he hit his then fiance before the suspension. If true, I think it's a 100% chance he loses his job between that and the events of this week.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/ray-rice-told-goodell-hit-fiancee/story?id=25443285
Yeah, I saw that too. It obviously doesn't change what Rice did, but it doesn't look good for Goodell.

« Reply #269 on: September 12, 2014, 01:02:06 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
#zeroteolerance

What about this guy?  Seems as though there is not fair treatment:

https://time.com/3329416/greg-hardy-nfl-domestic-violence/
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."