Author Topic: Ten Thoughts From Game 1  (Read 21507 times)

Re: Ten Thoughts From Game 1
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Losing Ilyasova and Bellinelli this summer really hurt the Sixers. The lack of shooting and the ability to spread the floor was painfully evident for them last night.

I agree and I haven't heard a lot of commentators talking about this.  I thought a major reason for the sixers late run in the regular season and then the playoff before meeting Boston was the fact that they were able to acquire both Ilyasova and Bellinelli who really complemented Simmons, similar to how Cleveland surrounded Lebron with great outside shooters.  I understand they may not have been able to sign these 2 players but they also didn't seem to make any effort to sign similar players. 

Without the outside shooting I believe they have taken a step backwards and will struggle more because teams will be able to sag off and plug up the driving lanes for Simmons.
well they did have a deal with Bjelica before he backed out to "go back to Europe" (apparently he thinks Sacramento is in Europe).  He has been a better shooter than either Ilyasova and Belinelli.  Chandler is hurt and didn't play last night, he shot 35.8% from 3 last year, which is basically what Ilyasova shot, so that isn't much of a drop off and Chandler is a much more versatile offensive player in general. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2018, 12:52:04 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Disagree with 7. Brown didn't finish well tonight but with his usual finishing, he probably puts up 20 tonight. Brown will be a two way star. He has to stay and be used properly.
But you’re only half addressing the point.  I think someone is going to get lost amid all these A players.  I happen to think that guy will be Brown.
I think they will all find their role and on different nights, the leading scorer and star will be different and on many, many nights that star is Brown.

Brown missed several lay ups/offensive rebounds/makeable shots. He could easily have gone for 20+ tonight and if he did I am sure you aren't calling to trade him.
I’m not those makeable misses.  As I recall, he was swallowed up inside several times and he’s never really been known for his touch around the rim anyway.

As far as calling to trade him, that’s not really the premise of my thread last week.  I more was pointing to a guy that might be replaced by another guy to make us better (theoretically).  For instance, I think the Celtics would be better right now with someone like reddick versus brown.

Reddick over Brown? Really? Reddick is 34, Brown is 21
Thats not the point.  I think reddick would be a better fit in this team and make us better right now.

If your argument is there are players who would be better for us now than Brown than fine. I very strongly disagree with you about how good Brown is right now, and especially how good he could be long term and honestly I think its pretty obvious you are undervaluing him. But there might be better fit. Jj Reddick is not one of them. Ya, his shooting is nice but he hurt our switch heavy defense and gives u a Irving Reddick abysmal defense backcourt. Hard Pass.

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2018, 01:09:48 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Losing Ilyasova and Bellinelli this summer really hurt the Sixers. The lack of shooting and the ability to spread the floor was painfully evident for them last night.

I agree and I haven't heard a lot of commentators talking about this.  I thought a major reason for the sixers late run in the regular season and then the playoff before meeting Boston was the fact that they were able to acquire both Ilyasova and Bellinelli who really complemented Simmons, similar to how Cleveland surrounded Lebron with great outside shooters.  I understand they may not have been able to sign these 2 players but they also didn't seem to make any effort to sign similar players. 

Without the outside shooting I believe they have taken a step backwards and will struggle more because teams will be able to sag off and plug up the driving lanes for Simmons.
They both wanted out. Philly is a mess.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2018, 01:53:41 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Quick takes on the list that started this thread:

Agree with some points - here's were I disagree-

2. Easy on that one, Rozier was at home and the place was pumped - to date that's been when he's at his best.

4. Al does what's needed.  To me he's the one player on this team who would be tough to replace if he ever had to miss significant time.  No one else can do everything that he does.

7.  Agree that someone will get the short end of the stick, but I don't think it will be Brown.  However I could see him coming off the bench to get Baynes in the lineup.  I'd be curious to see how he'd handle that.

8. I'll take last night's version of Morris vs the Toine imitation he did in the playoffs with his volume shooting/missing.  His defense and toughness will keep him in the lineup.  However if I ran the Sixers, he's a guy I'd be looking to sign this off season.  He'd make a big impact on that roster.

Good opening night.  Game 2 is going to be real interesting on the road against a team that could be 2nd best in conference.

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2018, 04:32:04 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
A few things:

What would have happened if the Sixers had picked Tatum no.1 instead of Fulz? They sure did screw the pooch. Didn't realize they had their PG in Simmons! Wow.

Tatum is a superstar shortly in the making. Slam dunk.

Rozier is one heck of a player. Confirms Ainge is a draft genius.

Jaylen Brown can jump over Embiid.

Still guys lapsing into bombing threes with no ball distribution and nobody near the basket.
Baynes shouldn't be shooting threes, and Morris shoots too many of them. Ball distribution, guys. Get better shots. Stevens needs to manage these things.

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2018, 07:40:03 PM »

Offline donawalt

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 6
I agree with many of the points. I am in the camp of not getting too carried away with 1 game, in large part because (a) it's October and things change a lot and more importantly (b) I really think the 76ers are overrated, and will likely be passed in the standings by Boston, Toronto, Milwaukee and maybe even another team if anyone overachieves. Remember, they were a .500 team last year until they acquired İlyasova and Belinelli, and they really weren't replaced - their bench will kill them. Sure Embid and Simmons will be better, but Fultz is a bust as far as I am concerned, he looks terrible - and what was he, -16 last night? Major liability. 76ers around 45-48 wins tops this year.

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2018, 07:45:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
A few things:

What would have happened if the Sixers had picked Tatum no.1 instead of Fulz? They sure did screw the pooch. Didn't realize they had their PG in Simmons! Wow.

Still guys lapsing into bombing threes with no ball distribution and nobody near the basket.
Baynes shouldn't be shooting threes, and Morris shoots too many of them. Ball distribution, guys. Get better shots. Stevens needs to manage these things.

I disagree with this, mostly because a) Baynes is seemingly hitting his 3's at a high percentage, and hit 2/4 against Philly, and b) Morris is probably our best scorer off the bench, and feasts on opposition bench defences. Last season when Morris had to spend half his time as a starter, without a preseason, I think we asked too much of him. Coming off the bench and shooting is a good role for him, as he provides good defence and rebounding too.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2018, 08:13:38 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
A few things:

I disagree with this, mostly because a) Baynes is seemingly hitting his 3's at a high percentage, and hit 2/4 against Philly, and b) Morris is probably our best scorer off the bench, and feasts on opposition bench defences. Last season when Morris had to spend half his time as a starter, without a preseason, I think we asked too much of him. Coming off the bench and shooting is a good role for him, as he provides good defence and rebounding too.

We just need Marcus and BoB to start hitting the three and we will have the first 15-man roster that is deadly from anywhere.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2018, 11:03:24 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
A few things:

I saw Baynes hit a 3 in the corner. Then he comes back and shoots another 3 from the same spot a few minutes later. Guess what? He misses.

I saw Morris shoot 3s down the court in four or five successive plays. Missed all of them. He had hit one previously. No passing for the best shot.

When they missed those 3s, Philly came right down the court and scored on easy layups, closing the score. The Celtics opened the lead again when they got back to ball distribution.

The 3 has always had a place, but it can be overdone and counterproductive. In the old days, the job went to Bird and Ainge.

Anybody who can't shoot 34% on the 3 should not be shooting them.

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2018, 11:42:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
A few things:

I saw Baynes hit a 3 in the corner. Then he comes back and shoots another 3 from the same spot a few minutes later. Guess what? He misses.

I saw Morris shoot 3s down the court in four or five successive plays. Missed all of them. He had hit one previously. No passing for the best shot.

When they missed those 3s, Philly came right down the court and scored on easy layups, closing the score. The Celtics opened the lead again when they got back to ball distribution.

The 3 has always had a place, but it can be overdone and counterproductive. In the old days, the job went to Bird and Ainge.

If we look at Baynes’ meaningful three point shooting periods, which is basically since last playoffs, Baynes has been a 40% and higher three point shooter. Not only that, but CBS encourages it.
It’s a huge weapon if Baynes is threatening from three, as it sucks the big guys (like Embiid, who was quite useless  as a rim protector) away from the hoop. It’s a shot that’s here to stay.

Marcus Morris is above 34% from three both over his career (35.7%) and with us (36.5%). Sure he didn’t shoot too well from 3 against Philly, but it’s his role in the offence.

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2018, 02:13:34 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
A few things:

The ball can only move so much before you pass up good shots. An open corner three from Baynes isn’t the worst shot. If he’s taking contested step-backs from the wing, then we have a problem. Catch-and-shoot open corner treys from him are certainly acceptable.

For Baynes’ career, from three feet out to the 3pt line, he’s just under 43%. So, if he’s not dunking/tipping, he might as well shoot the three (so long as he can shoot above 29% - he’s at 33% in Boston).

Instead of the midrange baseline jumper, we’re better off with him leaking out past the line. Draws out his defender a littler further to open the lane more and either a finish at the rim by the penetrator or an even less contested three (than midrange).
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2018, 04:32:21 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
One thought after Game 1, most important to me. We have a team where so many players can create his own shot. Irving, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Rozier, Morris, Al. Wow! When playoffs comes,  it'll be a huge thing.

« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2018, 04:37:49 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Brown will never be as good as peak Hayward? Uh...
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
A few things:

The ball can only move so much before you pass up good shots. An open corner three from Baynes isn’t the worst shot. If he’s taking contested step-backs from the wing, then we have a problem. Catch-and-shoot open corner treys from him are certainly acceptable.

For Baynes’ career, from three feet out to the 3pt line, he’s just under 43%. So, if he’s not dunking/tipping, he might as well shoot the three (so long as he can shoot above 29% - he’s at 33% in Boston).

Instead of the midrange baseline jumper, we’re better off with him leaking out past the line. Draws out his defender a littler further to open the lane more and either a finish at the rim by the penetrator or an even less contested three (than midrange).
The big thing with Baynes being able to shoot and make 3's is it pulls Embid or anyone else who can clog the lane out away from the basket. I'll be interested to see whether he keeps taking them against other teams.  It's a great weapon vs the Sixers.  Keep in mind too, the days of the low post center are gone unless the league legislates it back into play.  All they do now is get in the way offensively.

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2018, 09:46:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Brown will never be as good as peak Hayward? Uh...
I’d definitely be surprised. Peak Hayward was only clearly behind LBJ, Durant, Kawhi & Giannis in terms of SF’s.

Brown will never have the facilitating ability nor BBIQ Hayward does. He could definitely be a more explosive player, but better? I don’t think so. Brown gives me more of a better-shooting worse-rebounding Gerald Wallace vibe