Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 375521 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1620 on: December 25, 2018, 08:38:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Let’s not get too excited, sixers played shorthand without their last year #1 pick !
well played. tp.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1621 on: December 25, 2018, 09:17:57 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Impressed with embiid and butler as usual. Simmons has his usual empty carbs game

« Reply #1622 on: December 25, 2018, 09:25:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Chandler hurt us too.

« Reply #1623 on: December 25, 2018, 09:50:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Impressed with embiid and butler as usual. Simmons has his usual empty carbs game
If I were them I’d field offers on Simmons
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1624 on: December 25, 2018, 10:40:32 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I read Simmons hasn’t taken a shot past 14 feet this season. Disgraceful and brown is complicit in it

« Reply #1625 on: December 25, 2018, 10:48:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I read Simmons hasn’t taken a shot past 14 feet this season. Disgraceful and brown is complicit in it

No joke. The 22 footer Simmons hit in today's game was the longest jumper he made in his NBA career. I'm starting to think Simmons in general is just overrated.

All he can really do is facilitate on fast breaks and open lanes, and drive, but that’s about it, and even that doesn’t always work (turnovers in crucial moments of games and brutal misses). Basically, keep him out of the paint and clog the lanes. Then he’s ineffective. Sure, he’ll put up the numbers (like he did today), but finished with -17 and really is a liability on offense. I think BOS (w/Stevens) exposed him in the playoffs last year.

Fantastic player but still overrated and a liability on offense. It puts enormous pressure on Embiid, Reddick and Butler to score as well.

Also the Butler trade actually looks clutch for them. Their bench is very thin and Fultz is out. If they don't make the trade I honestly don't view them as a threat or even a Top-5 team in the East.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1626 on: December 25, 2018, 11:59:13 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

They had a graphic today that he was 5-26 outside the paint this season. Awful percentage, no doubt. But to take less than one shot per game beyond the paint isn’t problematic, it’s pathetic.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #1627 on: December 26, 2018, 01:46:25 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

All he can really do is facilitate on fast breaks and open lanes, and drive, but that’s about it, and even that doesn’t always work (turnovers in crucial moments of games and brutal misses). Basically, keep him out of the paint and clog the lanes. Then he’s ineffective. Sure, he’ll put up the numbers (like he did today), but finished with -17 and really is a liability on offense. I think BOS (w/Stevens) exposed him in the playoffs last year.

Fantastic player but still overrated and a liability on offense. It puts enormous pressure on Embiid, Reddick and Butler to score as well.

Also the Butler trade actually looks clutch for them. Their bench is very thin and Fultz is out. If they don't make the trade I honestly don't view them as a threat or even a Top-5 team in the East.

I agree that the Butler trade was solid for them.  With their (top heavy) talent and record, just like the Celtics, they'll improve between now and April/May.   

Too harsh on Simmons, though.  It's tough to make an argument against his talent and impact with statistics.  On this season, he's part of a top 3-4 team in the East, and a top-ranking player in a bunch of statistical categories.  Labeling him as a PG, he currently ranks:

* 2nd in Rebound %, behind only Westbrook.
* 7th in Assist %, behind Paul, Wall, Harden, and Westbrook. 
* 7th in eFG %, behind Curry, Korver, and Harris.

Of course he has limitations, but you gotta remember that he's only 22, and Tatum will be 21 before Simmons turns 23.  He honestly is one of the best athletes and facilitators in the league. 

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #1628 on: December 26, 2018, 06:15:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The C's are not a good match-up for Simmons, but in general he is a terrible fit with Embiid, which was compounded when Butler was added.  The simple reality is, the Sixers are better when Simmons isn't on the floor and that was not the case last year.  They have a real fit problem.  Now maybe they get it figured out as Butler is still new to the team and they are likely still figuring out their roles, but it has to be concerning if you are a Sixers fan, that Simmons and Embiid aren't better with the other on the floor.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1629 on: December 26, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Simmons needs to be surrounded by shooters.

« Reply #1630 on: December 26, 2018, 08:17:00 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
If I were them I’d field offers on Simmons
Me too. Not convinced by his game at all.

« Reply #1631 on: December 26, 2018, 09:11:03 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

No joke. The 22 footer Simmons hit in today's game was the longest jumper he made in his NBA career. I'm starting to think Simmons in general is just overrated.

Neither of these statements is correct.  On the 1st one, he also is an excellent rebounder (9 rpg this season and 14 last night).  The 2nd one is simply not accurate.  11 points and 8 assists means he was directly involved with 27 of their points.

Rather than trading him, the better solution is to lock him in a gym over the summer and force him to develop a decent jump-shot.

« Reply #1632 on: December 26, 2018, 09:31:13 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Neither of these statements is correct. On the 1st one, he also is an excellent rebounder (9 rpg this season and 14 last night).  The 2nd one is simply not accurate.  11 points and 8 assists means he was directly involved with 27 of their points.

Rather than trading him, the better solution is to lock him in a gym over the summer and force him to develop a decent jump-shot.
The truth is, right now, he is overrated. I wouldn't want him on this team over someone like Kyrie or Tatum. In time he needs to develop a jump shot (which just isn't natural for him right now) and his free throw %. Otherwise he'll never reach his potential. Not sure why all the love for him around the league/country. Great passer, vision and rebounder but that is not enough. He needs at least a 15-18 foot jumper to be elite.

« Reply #1633 on: December 26, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Neither of these statements is correct. On the 1st one, he also is an excellent rebounder (9 rpg this season and 14 last night).  The 2nd one is simply not accurate.  11 points and 8 assists means he was directly involved with 27 of their points.

The truth is, right now, he is overrated. I wouldn't want him on this team over someone like Kyrie or Tatum. In time he needs to develop a jump shot (which just isn't natural for him right now) and his free throw %. Otherwise he'll never reach his potential. Not sure why all the love for him around the league/country. Great passer, vision and rebounder but that is not enough. He needs at least a 15-18 foot jumper to be elite.
He has improved his foul shooting and he has decent form on it.  I think he would actually be halfway decent as a shooter and I really don't know why he doesn't shoot more other than maybe it is a mental thing (i.e. he doesn't want to face criticism if he misses).  He doesn't have that Butler or Embiid personality of I just don't give two bleeps what you think about me, I'm going to do what I'm going to do anyway.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1634 on: December 26, 2018, 12:46:59 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

He has improved his foul shooting and he has decent form on it.  I think he would actually be halfway decent as a shooter and I really don't know why he doesn't shoot more other than maybe it is a mental thing (i.e. he doesn't want to face criticism if he misses).  He doesn't have that Butler or Embiid personality of I just don't give two bleeps what you think about me, I'm going to do what I'm going to do anyway.

He is a guard shooting 59% from the foul line. He has also been even worse for the month of December shooting 55%. Same he shot last year. Seems like a strange thing to praise him for.

Embiid also continues to be frustrated...

http://www.philly.com/sixers/philadelphia-sixers-boston-celtics-joel-embiid-brett-brown-christmas-20181226.html