Author Topic: Mike Brown fired  (Read 14865 times)

Re: Mike Brown fired
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Why are they going for an offensive minded coach?  It's their defense and TOs that are killing the Lakers.

When you can score efficiently, you can get away with a weaker defense.

Not to mention, the talent they have suggests they should be a much better offensive team.  They need to maximize that.

Until round 2

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
D'Antoni would be great for their offense, bad for their defense, and defense is where most of their problems are right now.

One of my Lakers buddies wants Jeff Van Gundy.

I've also heard Sloan rumors.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Sorry Mike Brown
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2012, 03:01:07 PM »

Offline BIGTIME_CELTICS

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
1-4 and u fire ur coach. wow. that is just plain out stupid. Mike Brown is a solid coach overall, could develop into one of the better coaches. Guess he is just the scapegoat of this failed experiment of Princeton offense. Another thought, Celtics are only 2-2, and our schedule is way softer than that of the Lakers. If u impatient like that, we should prolly fire Doc right now. I mean that move by Lakers is just stupid. bonehead move.

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Why are they going for an offensive minded coach?  It's their defense and TOs that are killing the Lakers.
Yeah, I think they'd be better off with a defensively orientated head coach over an offensively minded one too.

I think a Head Coach can make a larger difference to their team defense than he can to their offense.

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Not to mention, the talent they have suggests they should be a much better offensive team.  They need to maximize that.

Until round 2

I disagree with this.  The Suns never had defenders like Howard or Kobe, or even Gasol for that matter. 

This Lakers team have the players to be good enough defensively, while being dominant offensively.  That is enough to go very deep.

« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2012, 03:05:32 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255

Until round 2

I disagree with this.  The Suns never had defenders like Howard or Kobe, or even Gasol for that matter. 

This Lakers team have the players to be good enough defensively, while being dominant offensively.  That is enough to go very deep.
This Lakers teams has nowhere near the speed, shooting or depth that Suns team had. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2012, 03:08:11 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Honestly though, I think the offensive vs. defensive stuff is somewhat irrelevant.  What they need is someone who can handle the egos, and who can put in a system that is built around the strengths of his players.  Mike Brown was neither, which is why he is gone.  Jerry Sloan is neither, which is why he would be a disaster.

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2012, 03:09:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Shawn Marion in his prime was a massive difference making defender whom D'Antoni used very effectively.

I'm unsure what "type" of coach would be best, but Brown was wrong for that team.

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2012, 03:11:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Anyone think he could be our assistant coach? He's not good at running things but he's actually a defensive guru for a team that needs its bench to come together on D.

I could see him in the role as that former head coach that Doc brings on as a playoffs consultant.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2012, 03:22:02 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
And then after two years they'll have room for multiple max contracts and multiple players who will want to play there.

We are three years away from multiple threads complaining about how unfair a Kevin Love and Dwight Howard frontcourt is and how it was all a David Stern conspiracy.

1.  Two years is a long time.

2.  With the new salary rules in the NBA, I suspect that we're going to see far fewer guys willing to give up extra dollars to ring chase until they're at the very end of their careers.

Mike

« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
And then after two years they'll have room for multiple max contracts and multiple players who will want to play there.

We are three years away from multiple threads complaining about how unfair a Kevin Love and Dwight Howard frontcourt is and how it was all a David Stern conspiracy.

1.  Two years is a long time.

2.  With the new salary rules in the NBA, I suspect that we're going to see far fewer guys willing to give up extra dollars to ring chase until they're at the very end of their careers.

Mike

Well, what we actually have been seeing is a lot more guys who were previously in between vet minimum and MLE type players being forced to take the minimum, because the new rules are squeezing the middle class, so to speak.  So, when they are forced to take the minimum, then they end up choosing to chase a ring, and the rich get richer.

« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Well, what we actually have been seeing is a lot more guys who were previously in between vet minimum and MLE type players being forced to take the minimum, because the new rules are squeezing the middle class, so to speak.  So, when they are forced to take the minimum, then they end up choosing to chase a ring, and the rich get richer.

Like who?

Mike

« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
Honestly though, I think the offensive vs. defensive stuff is somewhat irrelevant.  What they need is someone who can handle the egos, and who can put in a system that is built around the strengths of his players.  Mike Brown was neither, which is why he is gone.  Jerry Sloan is neither, which is why he would be a disaster.

TP.  I second this post in its entirety.

This is why D'Antoni would be a pretty good fit, IMO.  He has an established relationship with Nash and Kobe idolized D'Antoni while growing up in Italy.  He also worked with Dwight while with USA Basketball.  That's half the battle.

« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2012, 03:47:48 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
CBSSports is reporting that Phil Jackson is ready to come back once again.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/20904962/no-shortage-of-obvious-candidates-to-replace-mike-brown-as-lakers-coach

I don't think that insinuated Phil Jackson wanted to come back to the Lakers. I think I remember hearing he wanted to be back coaching in the NBA some months earlier.