Author Topic: PLEAAAASSSE bring the playoffs  (Read 8392 times)

Re: PLEAAAASSSE bring the playoff
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Please.

Convince me. Someone. Anyone. Talk to me and convince me that what we are seeing in the new York and Toronto games and games much like these games all year is something that will not be seen in the playoffs.

Because I just don't get the confidence some of you have thinking that what you will see in the playoffs is something that is so much different than what we saw in the regular season.

Through all these years of watching sports, longer than some of you not as long as others, I have rarely seen or can even remember a team playing this poorly suddenly hitting a switch and getting championship caliber better.

I myself have brought up the 69 Celtics but I was 4 years old and have no recollection of that. Someone brought up Miami in 2006 but I don't remember that team being this bad at the end of the year. Maybe, but I don't remember it. Other than that, I can't think of any others and even Danny Ainge has said he thinks its a dangerous mindset and he hopes his team doesn't have it.

So please, someone anyone, convince me that they can turn it around and be a contender because my own experience and most of history tells me its just to unlikely to happen.

OTOH, can you convince anyone that what we're seeing vs NY and Toronto *is* what we'll see in the playoffs?

And, while we've played poorly for the bulk of the season, there are only 3 teams in the entire league that's more than 2 games ahead of us in the loss column. I don't know that you can make the blanket statement that teams that are playing like us never win titles because, for the most part, people wouldn't have noticed.

If either Paul or KG had stayed healthy, not both of them, we'd be a top 2-3 team right now.
Here's the thing BBall. I don't want to play that game. I'm already convinced of something. I want someone to change my mind with a good set of reasons and ideas why they will flip the switch so that I can have more hope than I do.

I'm not trying to defend my opinion, I want it changed.

Nobody can convince you that they will flip the switch because nobody knows if they will. But the point is that they *can* flip the switch and beat anyone.

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 11:12:52 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Folks, the '95 Rockets aren't comparable.

The Drexler trade was mid-season and then afterwards, the team had started to gel. They weren't slumping during the 2nd half of the year.

Olajuwon was in his prime and proved to everyone that he was the best player in the league, esp in that series against Robinson. There's no one on our current squad who compares to him, in any department.

The key role players: Horry, Cassell, and Smith were all doing their jobs. I hope this is a cue to 'Sheed and 'Quis to get off their butts.

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 11:20:58 PM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Please.

Convince me. Someone. Anyone. Talk to me and convince me that what we are seeing in the new York and Toronto games and games much like these games all year is something that will not be seen in the playoffs.

Because I just don't get the confidence some of you have thinking that what you will see in the playoffs is something that is so much different than what we saw in the regular season.

Through all these years of watching sports, longer than some of you not as long as others, I have rarely seen or can even remember a team playing this poorly suddenly hitting a switch and getting championship caliber better.

I myself have brought up the 69 Celtics but I was 4 years old and have no recollection of that. Someone brought up Miami in 2006 but I don't remember that team being this bad at the end of the year. Maybe, but I don't remember it. Other than that, I can't think of any others and even Danny Ainge has said he thinks its a dangerous mindset and he hopes his team doesn't have it.

So please, someone anyone, convince me that they can turn it around and be a contender because my own experience and most of history tells me its just to unlikely to happen.

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, timewasters of all ages, I give you... the 1994-1995 Houston Rockets:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/1995_games.html
Yes, but in a league without it's biggest superstar, they had the league's second biggest superstar healthy and in his prime. Rather hard to compare other than the records and poor play going into the playoffs. But I will ponder on it and thanks. TP.

Not only did they have a poor regular season record overall, they were only 30-25 in the regular season. A similarity to our situation, perhaps?

Olajuwon (whom I believe you are referring to as the best player in the league at that time) only made the All-NBA Third Team (so did Drexler) and didn't make either of the All-Defense Teams. I know what you mean by saying they had him, but they defeated a lot of better teams, and the gap was about the same as between us and other contenders. BELIEVE!!!  ;D

Just a week and a few more days....

Nice. TP  ;)

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 11:29:01 PM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48

The Drexler trade was mid-season and then afterwards, the team had started to gel. They weren't slumping during the 2nd half of the year.

Olajuwon was in his prime and proved to everyone that he was the best player in the league, esp in that series against Robinson. There's no one on our current squad who compares to him, in any department.

The key role players: Horry, Cassell, and Smith were all doing their jobs. I hope this is a cue to 'Sheed and 'Quis to get off their butts.

After the Drexler trade (February 14), they were 17-18 to the end of the season. You are right in saying they had two superstars to our zero, but I think we match them in terms of overall talent.

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 01:29:25 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Please.

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, timewasters of all ages, I give you... the 1994-1995 Houston Rockets:

MJ wasn't playing the year.  LeBron is playing this year.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 02:22:15 AM »

Kiorrik

Gotta admit, I'm sooooo ready for the playoffs right now ... Seriously, bring 'm on.

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 02:53:48 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Please.

Actually MJ was playing that year and averaged 30 ppg during the playoffs and they still lost to the Magic, whom the Rockets swept. AND, Lebron isn't MJ.

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 03:00:04 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Gotta admit, I'm sooooo ready for the playoffs right now ... Seriously, bring 'm on.

Make that two of us. Even if we're knocked out quick - just can't wait to settle in for all the doubleheaders and high-intensity games. This is gonna be a long next ten days.

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 03:00:30 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Please.

Actually MJ was playing that year and averaged 30 ppg during the playoffs and they still lost to the Magic, whom the Rockets swept. AND, Lebron isn't MJ.

Really?  I thought the Rockets won in the two years that MJ was away from the league.

You learn something every day!
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 03:17:16 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
This Rockets business is not a compelling argument. Unfortunately.

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 05:53:30 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

So, what, we're looking for an exact match? The team has to have a pg like Rondo and a center like Perk and make a mid-season trade for a 5'8 pg to be comperable?

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 06:03:22 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Please.

Really?  I thought the Rockets won in the two years that MJ was away from the league.

You learn something every day!

MJ was only away from the league for a year and a half.

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 06:22:42 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Be careful what you wish for, this playoffs will determine a LOT, if we suck, Danny might start thinking of building around Rondo, if we do what most people think we will and that is a 2nd round exit, the same thing might happen, and everything else will be a total surprise to general NBA fan population and it will show that there is still fire in the Big 3.
Personally I believe no one can win a 7 game series against these Celtics when healthy
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 09:55:13 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Be careful what you wish for, this playoffs will determine a LOT, if we suck, Danny might start thinking of building around Rondo, if we do what most people think we will and that is a 2nd round exit, the same thing might happen, and everything else will be a total surprise to general NBA fan population and it will show that there is still fire in the Big 3.
Personally I believe no one can win a 7 game series against these Celtics when healthy

A second round exit, if it happens, would be to one of the top 2 teams in the league. A team that's good enough to win the west would likely meet the same fate. People throw the phrase around like losing to the Cavs is a sure sign that you should break the team up.

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 10:07:05 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
There are always exceptions to every rule. And, if the Celtics were to win the NBA championship this year, it would be a huge surprise and one of those rare exceptions. As for those who say they "can" turn on the switch in the playoffs, that argument is equal to those of us who do not believe they can or will turn on any switch in the playoffs.