Author Topic: Celts traded Rondo for Antoine Walker  (Read 4433 times)

Celts traded Rondo for Antoine Walker
« on: April 06, 2010, 02:43:58 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
So I was browsing around and it turns out that well before the Phoenix trade, the Celtics owned the draft pick that turned out to be Rondo - then they traded it away for Antoine Walker! And, the pick was originally the Lakers'. From basketball-reference.com, here's Rondo's complete transaction history starting with the pick that turned out to be him:

August 6, 2004: Traded by the Los Angeles Lakers (as a 2006 1st round draft pick) with Rick Fox and Gary Payton to the Boston Celtics for Chucky Atkins, Jumaine Jones and Chris Mihm.

February 24, 2005: Traded by the Boston Celtics (as a 2006 1st round draft pick) with Tom Gugliotta, Gary Payton and Michael Stewart to the Atlanta Hawks for Antoine Walker.

August 19, 2005: Traded by the Atlanta Hawks (as a 2006 1st round draft pick) with Boris Diaw and a 2008 1st round draft pick (Robin Lopez) to the Phoenix Suns for Joe Johnson.

June 28, 2006: Traded by the Phoenix Suns with Brian Grant to the Boston Celtics for a 2007 1st round draft pick (Rudy Fernandez).

June 28, 2006: Drafted by the Phoenix Suns in the 1st round (21st pick) of the 2006 NBA Draft.

Re: Celts traded Rondo for Antoine Walker
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:16:01 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
...so Rondo was originally a Laker's pick? eww...

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:06:29 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Actually, no. The pick has been traded to Phoenix prior to the draft -- so it was a Phoenix pick.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:25:37 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Actually, no. The pick has been traded to Phoenix prior to the draft -- so it was a Phoenix pick.

If no trading had occured.. ew..

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 10:12:18 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

No, he was a Lakers pick.

August 6, 2004: Lakers 2006 pick, Rick Fox, and Gary Payton traded to Celtics in return for Chucky Atkins, Jumaine Jones and Chris Mihm.

February 24, 2005: Celtics trade 2006 pick (from LA), Gary Payton, Michael Stewart, and Tom Gugliotta to the Atlanta Hawks for Antoine Walker

August 19, 2006: Hawks Trade 2006 pick (Rondo), 2008 pick, and Boris Diaw to Phoenix Suns for Joe Johnson.

June 28, 2006: Suns trade 2006 pick (Rondo) and Brian Grant to Boston Celtics for 2007 Draft pick.

I actually did a post about this about a year ago...

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 11:08:20 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
dirty laker get him off our team, scrub

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:57:25 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

August 6, 2004: Traded by the Los Angeles Lakers (as a 2006 1st round draft pick) with Rick Fox and Gary Payton to the Boston Celtics for Chucky Atkins, Jumaine Jones and Chris Mihm.

So didn't we get that draft pick from LA because Payton didn't report to the team within a specified period of time? I think the original trade was Banks going out and a 2nd rounder going to the Celts, but they changed the deal because Payton didn't report with 2 weeks or so.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:00:44 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

So didn't we get that draft pick from LA because Payton didn't report to the team within a specified period of time? I think the original trade was Banks going out and a 2nd rounder going to the Celts, but they changed the deal because Payton didn't report with 2 weeks or so.
LOL I forgot about that. Payton did us a favor by waiting those two weeks.

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 12:31:49 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

LOL I forgot about that. Payton did us a favor by waiting those two weeks.

Ripples in the pond...

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 12:36:22 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
bring back Chauncey...
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 12:40:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Don't forget the fact that the draft-pick the C's traded to the Suns in order to get the former Lakers pick was the pick that Danny traded Jiri Welsch for.  And of course, Jiri Welsch was obtained by the C's for Antoine Walker.

So Antoine Walker was traded for Antoine Walker.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Don't forget the fact that the draft-pick the C's traded to the Suns in order to get the former Lakers pick was the pick that Danny traded Jiri Welsch for.  And of course, Jiri Welsch was obtained by the C's for Antoine Walker.

So Antoine Walker was traded for Antoine Walker.

Funny. The pick was traded 4 times, twice to Boston, once from Boston, and once for a former Celtic (JJ).

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 01:43:48 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Reading this thread = my head is spinning 

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 12:48:04 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Somebody could do a docteral dissertation on the complete trading history of Danny Ainge and have an absolute field day in Celtics revisionist history.

I guess I am glad the Celtics cashed in their opportunity in 2008 to eclipse the Curse of Len Bias.

That would make an NBA philosopher who used to pontificate so pointlessly on the ABC Sunday Afternoon NBA showcase proud. 
The beatings will continue until morale improves