Author Topic: Final Straw for Sheed  (Read 20749 times)

Re: Final Straw for Sheed
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2010, 09:56:19 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Sheed's just the family scapegoat of the month now.
You will love him come playoff time and be glad we have him.
No I will not. And if I'm right about him I wonder if people will turn on him?

I think most Celtics fans have already turned on him.

Nothing turns off a fanbase like laziness.

I don't know, He isn't my favorite but the amount of poop he takes on this bored is absolutely redunkulous

Also, i like how his good games are ardent;y ignored by posters who say he sucks. Pretty good games for him earlier this week...but one bad game for a bench player, he's the second coming of Beelzebub again.

Sheed is what he is. He's just about exactly what i expected when we signed him, and for what its worth, he's still better than mcdyess, the other option in the offseason.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2010, 10:01:17 PM »

Offline Weird Facts

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • OOGIE BOOGEY DELONTE
I'm with you !

SHEED IS SHEED !  & the team needs him to be playing well.

How can you get mad @ him for talking back to DOC?
A coach who has openly admitted to letting the team make their own decisions- says there isn't much I can teach these guys- I just have to keep the egos in check.

Give me a break - when you allow that kind of demeanor from your players.
Then you can't get all bent out of shape when they talk back.

Its like a parent who gives their kid no curfew or rules
& then one day decides to be a parent and say come home @ 9pm.

DOC gave them the freedom - he needs to understand that & we do too.

last week PIERCE goes down sits on the floor for five minutes holding his shoulder- DOC takes him out & PIERCE Mouths off @ DOC.

WHY ARE YOU TAKING ME OUT?!   

same thing - the team feels like they are equals with DOC @ least

GARNETT
PIERCE
ALLEN
WALLACE

& thats all there is to it.
Fair or bad weather
I'll always be a fan of the green

http://www.cafepress.com/besttees3

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2010, 10:25:35 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Sheed's just the family scapegoat of the month now.
You will love him come playoff time and be glad we have him.
No I will not. And if I'm right about him I wonder if people will turn on him?

I think most Celtics fans have already turned on him.

Nothing turns off a fanbase like laziness.

I don't know, He isn't my favorite but the amount of poop he takes on this bored is absolutely redunkulous

Also, i like how his good games are ardent;y ignored by posters who say he sucks. Pretty good games for him earlier this week...but one bad game for a bench player, he's the second coming of Beelzebub again.

Sheed is what he is. He's just about exactly what i expected when we signed him, and for what its worth, he's still better than mcdyess, the other option in the offseason.

Before the last ten days or so, he's been a liability on both sides of the court for almost the entire season.

I mean - has he had ten good games ALL YEAR?

Maybe.

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2010, 10:39:59 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Got news for everyone. He is exactly what we knew he was going to be coming in. If you thought he'd be much different then YOU were the one who is at fault there, not him. On that note though, the only reason that we have any shot at all to advancing in the playoffs is that he is coming off that bench. There is no way on earth that we'd have a shot at anything if BBD or Shelden, or even Powe had we decided to sign him instead, were our bigs coming off that bench. Sheed is a legit all-star caliber player who may not be able to do the same things that he once could, but is smart enough to still be productive. (You could have wrote that last sentence about KG)

Yes he is frustrating when he doesn't focus or loses it, but that is Sheed. You all knew that.

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2010, 10:41:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sheed is a legit all-star caliber player who may not be able to do the same things that he once could, but is smart enough to still be productive. (You could have wrote that last sentence about KG)

KG still plays all-star caliber defense at least, Rasheed just can't move anymore to help.

I do agree thought that without the length and depth that Rasheed provides we'd have little chance in the playoffs. We still need to upgrade from him ASAP in the off-season.

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2010, 10:44:22 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
Got news for everyone. He is exactly what we knew he was going to be coming in. If you thought he'd be much different then YOU were the one who is at fault there, not him. On that note though, the only reason that we have any shot at all to advancing in the playoffs is that he is coming off that bench. There is no way on earth that we'd have a shot at anything if BBD or Shelden, or even Powe had we decided to sign him instead, were our bigs coming off that bench. Sheed is a legit all-star caliber player who may not be able to do the same things that he once could, but is smart enough to still be productive. (You could have wrote that last sentence about KG)

Yes he is frustrating when he doesn't focus or loses it, but that is Sheed. You all knew that.

Wow.  A lot here to discuss.

1) If people though Sheed was going to, y'know, care or, y'know, try - then yes - it's their fault. Because he blew off the season in Detroit last year and has a history of underachieving. But that DOES NOT excuse his crappy play and worse, his lack of effort.

2) "the only reason that we have any shot at all to advancing in the playoffs is that he is coming off that bench"

This is completely wrong. The reasons we have a shot to advance are named Rondo, Pierce, Allen, Perkins and Garnett.

3) Sheed is not an all-star caliber player. Not even close. He is like 190th in the league in PER. Can he be productive? Every now and then. But that's about it.

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2010, 10:46:50 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Sheed is a legit all-star caliber player who may not be able to do the same things that he once could, but is smart enough to still be productive. (You could have wrote that last sentence about KG)

KG still plays all-star caliber defense at least, Rasheed just can't move anymore to help.

I do agree thought that without the length and depth that Rasheed provides we'd have little chance in the playoffs. We still need to upgrade from him ASAP in the off-season.

It would be nice to add to the bench depth in the offseason. I agree. I would argue though that KG at this moment is NOT playing all-star caliber defense. His lateral movement is so bad right now that EVERYONE blows past him. He is still a very good defender, but nothing more than that. This is one of the key reasons why our defense as a team is bad right now and why we aren't anywhere close to championship caliber. I definitely wasn't trying to put KG and Sheed in the same boat, since KG is focused every second out there, but just that we have to give the guy a bit of slack because he isn't 25 years old anymore. Big guys get slow.

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2010, 10:50:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

It would be nice to add to the bench depth in the offseason. I agree. I would argue though that KG at this moment is NOT playing all-star caliber defense. His lateral movement is so bad right now that EVERYONE blows past him. He is still a very good defender, but nothing more than that. This is one of the key reasons why our defense as a team is bad right now.
KG's lateral movement isn't what it was, but he's not getting torched every time. His help is still there, he just is no longer the best help defender in the league.

The C's defense has been solid, its their offensive game that sucks right now.

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2010, 10:55:35 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

Just picture the reaction here if Sheed's up at the rim fiddling with an errant three that hasn't hit the rim yet - it'd be the Apocalypse.

That was a bad call, the replay clearly showed that he grabbed it after it bounced off the rim. Tony Allen did nothing wrong, you're supposed to attack the rebound like that!

Totally, totally 150 percent disagree with you in absolute entirety.

He had no business fiddling with a shot that hadn't hit the rim. Dumb, dumb, dumb basketball play and I guarantee you that he got chewed about it after the game - and deservedly so.

And if Wallace had been that stupid, the posts would be clipping on here at about five every 30 seconds.

Sorry for interrupting. The Tony Allen love fest may now resume.

But it did hit the rim. The replays showed that it hit the rim before TA got it. If you wanna argue that TA should've assumed the refs would call goal-tend anyways, that's one thing. Still, the refs just didn't make the correct call. You say if Sheed had "been that stupid", everyone would be all over him, but I feel like you're doing the same to TA simply because he's TA.

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2010, 10:57:58 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

It would be nice to add to the bench depth in the offseason. I agree. I would argue though that KG at this moment is NOT playing all-star caliber defense. His lateral movement is so bad right now that EVERYONE blows past him. He is still a very good defender, but nothing more than that. This is one of the key reasons why our defense as a team is bad right now.
KG's lateral movement isn't what it was, but he's not getting torched every time. His help is still there, he just is no longer the best help defender in the league.

People are overstating how poor his one-on-one D is. It's actually fine. He just can't defend PGs and SGs on switches the way he used to. And some nights he gets burned by quicker forwards. But mostly he's right there, and smart enough to funnel guys into the help.

I worry about the defensive rotations (particularly Sheed who is unwilling to rotate) and bad defensive rebounding.

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2010, 10:58:51 PM »

Offline Mizzy21390

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 16
i think the way doc handled it was very good. sheed is sheed...he was playing pretty well up until that meltdown

Yea on National Television, he yelled at his coach... I'm glad that Doc finally said no is no, and sat him down and never allowed him back on the court...
Yeeeaaaa!!!

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2010, 11:02:40 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

We score almost exactly what we scored in our championship season (99 vs 100). We are allowing 5 pts per game more by the other team than we did that year (95 vs 90). Our defensive game is SO much worse than it was. We can't stop anyone anymore, especially when it matters. I don't know how anyone could look at our team and not see that the defensive side of the ball is the reason we aren't contenders anymore.

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2010, 11:09:45 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

We score almost exactly what we scored in our championship season (99 vs 100). We are allowing 5 pts per game more by the other team than we did that year (95 vs 90). Our defensive game is SO much worse than it was. We can't stop anyone anymore, especially when it matters. I don't know how anyone could look at our team and not see that the defensive side of the ball is the reason we aren't contenders anymore.

The offense is worse than it used to be. Don't look at PPG, look at Offensive Rating where we're scoring about 3 points fewer per 100 possessions than we did in the title year. Our Defensive Rating has also slipped. But by 4 points per 100. (Our defensive rating BTW, is exactly what it was last year)

So it's both offensive and defensive decline contributing to our problems.

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2010, 11:15:42 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

The offense is worse than it used to be. Don't look at PPG, look at Offensive Rating where we're scoring about 3 points fewer per 100 possessions than we did in the title year. Our Defensive Rating has also slipped. But by 4 points per 100. (Our defensive rating BTW, is exactly what it was last year)

I'm not going to disagree that they are both heading downhill. The older they get the worse both sides of the ball are going to get. In 08 we could rely on PP to score when we needed a basket. This year, he's not that guy. If I had a last chance attempt to win a game I would have either Ray take the shot, or drop it down in the post to Sheed. Either one of those guys is more likely to hit it than PP right now.

That being said, you can score all you want, but if you can't stop anyone then you aren't likely to win. (see OK city the other night) I just put a lot more blame on the defense. We are scoring the points, even if we are taking more shots to do so. We are giving up more points though. −1 scoring and +5 opponents scoring is a very bad combination and not a recipe for #18.

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2010, 11:19:37 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

I'm not going to disagree that they are both heading downhill. The older they get the worse both sides of the ball are going to get. In 08 we could rely on PP to score when we needed a basket. This year, he's not that guy. If I had a last chance attempt to win a game I would have either Ray take the shot, or drop it down in the post to Sheed. Either one of those guys is more likely to hit it than PP right now.

That being said, you can score all you want, but if you can't stop anyone then you aren't likely to win. (see OK city the other night) I just put a lot more blame on the defense. We are scoring the points, even if we are taking more shots to do so. We are giving up more points though. −1 scoring and +5 opponents scoring is a very bad combination and not a recipe for #18.

Our scoring problems are worse than your analysis suggests. But yes - we're in decline on both sides of the ball. And no - we're not winning a title this year.