Author Topic: I think Tony has earned the playoff rotation!  (Read 15120 times)

Re: I think Tony has earned the playoff rotation!
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 01:33:26 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Right now, Marquise wayyy behind Tony in my book. Go Tony!!!
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 01:34:13 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Think we'll probably go with a 9 man rotation with Daniels and Nate on the outside looking in.

Bigs: KG, Perk, Sheed, and Baby. With Davis seeing the fewest of the minutes.

Wings/PG's: Pierce, RA, Rondo, TA, and Finley. TA and Finley are basically ying/yang in terms of shooting, basketball IQ, athleticism, slashing, etc., but that's good in the way they complement each others game and skill set.

Calling TA our backup PG is not going to be how a true definition. While he might indeed bring the ball up on occasion, the offense will be facilitated, in half court sets, through Pierce and RA.

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 01:34:25 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Right now, Marquise wayyy behind Tony in my book. Go Tony!!!

As long as he isn't the PG. TA offers way more than Q. And Crowd loves him.

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 02:20:56 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Think we'll probably go with a 9 man rotation with Daniels and Nate on the outside looking in.

Wings/PG's: Pierce, RA, Rondo, TA, and Finley. TA and Finley are basically ying/yang in terms of shooting, basketball IQ, athleticism, slashing, etc., but that's good in the way they complement each others game and skill set.

Calling TA our backup PG is not going to be how a true definition. While he might indeed bring the ball up on occasion, the offense will be facilitated, in half court sets, through Pierce and RA.

It would be in the C's best interest if Finley did not beat out Nate for a spot in the rotation.  The current talent disparity between the two is immense, even if Nate's had more difficulty integrating himself into the C's offense.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 03:02:15 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

It would be in the C's best interest if Finley did not beat out Nate for a spot in the rotation.  The current talent disparity between the two is immense, even if Nate's had more difficulty integrating himself into the C's offense.

The only reason Nate isn't playing is because of matchups. You can't get caught behind picks guarding Mo. That's what got them the lead last time.

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 04:34:25 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
Today's rotation was perfect, except in the 4th qtr when I think Doc should have played the bench for the first part of it to let the starters rest more. TA is proving to be magnificent.

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2010, 04:39:32 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Today's rotation was perfect, except in the 4th qtr when I think Doc should have played the bench for the first part of it to let the starters rest more. TA is proving to be magnificent.

So blame it on Doc now. Do you seriously think Bench players could've done a better job on Lebron? Lebron was playing at a different level in 4th Q.

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

The only reason Nate isn't playing is because of matchups. You can't get caught behind picks guarding Mo. That's what got them the lead last time.

Nate has the potential to give a lot more on offense than he gives up on defense.  Finley has to go bananas from the field to make up for the fact that he's an immense defensive liability.

I agree.  There was scenario that closely mirrored one in the previous Cavs game when LeBron skied to grab a rebound over the back of a Celtic: he got it easily over Daniels; TA rose up and got it.

TA is obviously a high-risk player, but with decline in 4 of our major rotation guys (Big 3 + Sheed) high-risk/high-impact is much preferable to low-risk/low-impact guys.  TA's sort of a defensive version of JR Smith for us.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2010, 04:57:34 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
Yeah, TA out there and I know things are going to start turning around. His energy and defense was infectious.

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 05:30:55 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
This thread continues to boggle my mind.

;D
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2010, 12:14:07 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
So, based on Doc's comments it looks like TA will be the backup PG for the near future/playoffs. I don't know how I feel about this yet. I have to see it for a few more games. One good thing about it is that he can get a fair amount of minutes backing up the 2 as well and he plays better when it's longer stretches of minutes. Bad news is that it's Tony Allen. Do you trust this guy in a playoff game with a 2 point lead against Orlando? Hmm.

And I can't for the life of me figure out how Nate finds himself out of the rotation after he has had the same exact role/production House has had for the last 2.5 years. What is he doing different than House did? Well, Doc always managed a way to bury House in time for the playoffs so this fits the Doc pattern.

I don't see any feisty pg's in our potential matchups that will disable TA from getting the ball up court. Maybe Delonte? It's clearly going to help our defense, but who knows about the O.

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2010, 12:23:33 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
With shortened rotations I don't mind TA at the point at all. Problem is when you field full on bench units. But this time at least he has the luxury of initiating the offense by dumping it to Sheed if needed be.

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2010, 12:45:01 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
With shortened rotations I don't mind TA at the point at all. Problem is when you field full on bench units. But this time at least he has the luxury of initiating the offense by dumping it to Sheed if needed be.

The question is, should the rotations be staggered in the playoffs to always have 2 starters on the court at a time? I honestly don't know. The starters perform so well as a unit and goes downhill very fast with just one replacement. Statistically our starting 5 is the most impressive in the league so I'd question if going with hockey type subs might be the way to go with our situation.

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2010, 07:30:06 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Come playoff time i don't want TA being the point unless both rondo and nate are out.  I am not sure why nate didn't get any minutes but to me he is another energy guy who we need.  Just in bringing the ball over mid court is a plus.  I don't want TA, RA, PP bringing the ball up.  I don't think people are remembering how bad it was the last few years if rondo didn't have it.  I WANT Rondo to play great defense so he'll need a break as no one can do that all game.  So nate needs minutes or if for some reason Daniels is in then he can bring up the ball.
Rondo & TA backcourt for defense & fastbreaks is really good!
I also agree on the Sheldon thing, guy is just plain big and if nothing else he gets rebounds or occupies a rebounder to block him out because he goes for the balls. 

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2010, 08:24:29 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
So, based on Doc's comments it looks like TA will be the backup PG for the near future/playoffs. I don't know how I feel about this yet. I have to see it for a few more games. One good thing about it is that he can get a fair amount of minutes backing up the 2 as well and he plays better when it's longer stretches of minutes. Bad news is that it's Tony Allen. Do you trust this guy in a playoff game with a 2 point lead against Orlando? Hmm.

And I can't for the life of me figure out how Nate finds himself out of the rotation after he has had the same exact role/production House has had for the last 2.5 years. What is he doing different than House did? Well, Doc always managed a way to bury House in time for the playoffs so this fits the Doc pattern.

I don't see any feisty pg's in our potential matchups that will disable TA from getting the ball up court. Maybe Delonte? It's clearly going to help our defense, but who knows about the O.

I'd go with the starters with a two point lead over Orlando. Eddie, btw, also found himself out of the rotation in the 08 playoffs. And TA's not really a backup pg. We kind of play without one when Rondo's out, kind of like the Ainge/DJ/Henderson combo guards.