Author Topic: Where would Perk be drafted in the 2003 draft if it was held today?  (Read 6178 times)

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Rondo has his own do over draft thread so I felt it was only fair for Perk to have his own.  :)

Here is the draft order.

1) Lebron James
2) Darko Milicic
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Chris Bosh
5) Dwayne Wade
6) Chris Kaman
7) Kirk Hinrich
8) T.J. Ford
9) Mike Sweetney
10) Jarvis Hayes
11) Mickael Pietrus
12) Nick Collison
13) Marcus Banks
14) Luke Ridnour
15) Reece Gaines
16) Troy Bell
17) Zarko Cabarkapa
18) David West
19) Aleksandar Pavlovic
20) Dahntay Jones
21) Boris Diaw
22) Zoran Planinic
23) Travis Outlaw
24) Brian Cook
25) Carlos Defino
26) Ndudi Ebi
27) Kendrick Perkins
28) Leandro Barbosa
29) Josh Howard

Ok we know James, Wade, Bosh, and Anthony would be the top 4 but after that it gets interesting.  Perk over Darko is a no brainer.  Kaman puts up really nice numbers but on a bad team.  Hinrich has taken a step back in his career.  TJ Ford is a solid PG.  West and Howard are fringe all stars.  Barbosa is a good 6th man.  After that you can make a solid case to take Perk over the rest of the players.  So at the very worst I think Perk would be taken 9th or 10th but maybe at least a few spots higher especially considering Perkins is younger than most of these guys coming right out of high school so maybe has more room to improve.  I love Perk but I think I would be too much of a homer to say 5 so I will go with 7. ;D

Re: Where would Perk be drafted in the 2003 draft if it was held today?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 10:34:10 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I kinda wish we kept Dahntay Jones last year. Would like to see him at the 3 after a year with the team.

The more time that passes, the more doubts I have that Pruitt do anything while under contract with us.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 10:39:16 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Notable second rounders:

Kapono, Walton, Steve Blake, Willie Green, Zaza, Keith Bogans, Matt Bonner, Mo Williams, James Jones, Kyle Korver

So, I say 27th is about right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NBA_Draft
God bless and good night!

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 10:47:57 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Notable second rounders:

Kapono, Walton, Steve Blake, Willie Green, Zaza, Keith Bogans, Matt Bonner, Mo Williams, James Jones, Kyle Korver

Which of those guys would you rather have than Perk?  Williams, and then who?  For the Celtics, anyway, Perk is the best fit of that group.

To me, Perk clearly ranks behind Lebron, Carmelo, Bosh, Wade, Kaman, West, Howard and Ford.  There's then a second tier of players that Perk belongs with, where team need would define who went where: Williams, Hinrich, Collison, Ridnour, Diaw, Outlaw, and Barbosa. 

I think Perk would go somewhere between 9th and 16th in a redraft (probably around 12th or so).  There's no way he falls to #27.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Notable second rounders:

27th?

Clearly the top:
Lebron
Wade
Melo
Cabarkapa
Bosh
David West
Josh Howard

Next tier:
Kaman
Diaw
TJ
Perk?

Hinrich's stock has plummeted. Same for Barbosa.
I like Pietrus.
Kapono and Korver are nice shooters, but how many teams would draft them over a Center who can defend?

Do you think teams would want Zaza, Blake, or Walton over Perk?

Just kidding about Cabarkapa.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 10:53:30 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Notable second rounders:

Which of those guys would you rather have than Perk?  Williams, and then who?  For the Celtics, anyway, Perk is the best fit of that group.

To me, Perk clearly ranks behind Lebron, Carmelo, Bosh, Wade, Kaman, West, Howard and Ford.  There's then a second tier of players that Perk belongs with, where team need would define who went where: Williams, Collison, Ridnour, Diaw, Outlaw, and Barbosa. 

I think Perk would go somewhere between 9th and 15th in a redraft.  There's no way he falls to #27.

I think the question is where he'd be drafted, not who is best for the team.  So I'll choose to ignore your question and instead answer who I think would be drafted above Perkins if the draft happened again today (and Perkins was in today's shape physically and basketball maturity wise (i.e. no offensive game and not playing next to superstars)

In no order:

Lebron James
Darko Milicic
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Dwayne Wade
Chris Kaman
Kirk Hinrich
T.J. Ford
Jarvis Hayes
Mickael Pietrus
Nick Collison
Luke Ridnour
David West
Sasha Pavlovic
Travis Outlaw
Brian Cook
Carlos Defino
Leandro Barbosa
Josh Howard
Jason Kapono
Luke Walton
Steve Blake
Zaza Pachulia (who I'd argue would be a better fit for the Celtics than Perkins, go ahead and flame away)
Keith Bogans
Matt Bonner
Mo Williams
Kyle Korver

so I was wrong..28th.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 11:28:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
1)LBJ
2) D Wade
3) C Bosh
4) C Anthony
5/6) C Kaman, D West
7) TJ Ford
8) Josh Howard
9/10 Barbosa, Pietrus
11/12) Outlaw/Diaw (remember it took both these guys a few years to become productive

I'd put perk probably somewhere around 13-15 i guess. Maybe as low as 17.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 11:45:40 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Notable second rounders:

To me, Perk clearly ranks behind Lebron, Carmelo, Bosh, Wade, Kaman, West, Howard and Ford.  There's then a second tier of players that Perk belongs with, where team need would define who went where: Williams, Collison, Ridnour, Diaw, Outlaw, and Barbosa. 

I think Perk would go somewhere between 9th and 15th in a redraft.  There's no way he falls to #27.

I think the question is where he'd be drafted, not who is best for the team.  So I'll choose to ignore your question and instead answer who I think would be drafted above Perkins if the draft happened again today (and Perkins was in today's shape physically and basketball maturity wise (i.e. no offensive game and not playing next to superstars)

In no order:

Lebron James
Darko Milicic
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Dwayne Wade
Chris Kaman
Kirk Hinrich
T.J. Ford
Jarvis Hayes
Mickael Pietrus
Nick Collison
Luke Ridnour
David West
Sasha Pavlovic
Travis Outlaw
Brian Cook
Carlos Defino
Leandro Barbosa
Josh Howard
Jason Kapono
Luke Walton
Steve Blake
Zaza Pachulia (who I'd argue would be a better fit for the Celtics than Perkins, go ahead and flame away)
Keith Bogans
Matt Bonner
Mo Williams
Kyle Korver

so I was wrong..28th.

Did you mean fantasy draft? I'm also surprised to hear you say no offensive game. He is a good passer from his position, and his post moves backing players down have become very effective.

I'm curious where Perk's salary lands in this list. Probably pretty low. That would be a decent indicator of his market value, though some players, like Milicic, have contracts they aren't worthy of.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 11:55:23 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
1)LBJ
2) D Wade
3) C Bosh
4) C Anthony
5/6) C Kaman, D West
7) TJ Ford
8) Josh Howard
9/10 Barbosa, Pietrus
11/12) Outlaw/Diaw (remember it took both these guys a few years to become productive

I'd put perk probably somewhere around 13-15 i guess. Maybe as low as 17.

I'm not so sure.  I think Perk might be moving up ever so slightly.  A 24 year old very hard working starting center that defends very well, blocks shots, and rebounds are hard to come by.  His last 5 games he is averaging 12.4 points and 10.8 boards and is improving this year.  I think I would take him over Diaw, Pietrus, Outlaw, and I would think hard about taking him over Barbosa and even Ford with his injury history.  

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 12:02:57 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
What would be interesting is to see where Perk would have been drafted had he gone to college for a season or two. 

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 08:40:24 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Notable second rounders:

In no order:

Lebron James
Darko Milicic
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Dwayne Wade
Chris Kaman
Kirk Hinrich
T.J. Ford
Jarvis Hayes
Mickael Pietrus
Nick Collison
Luke Ridnour
David West
Sasha Pavlovic
Travis Outlaw
Brian Cook
Carlos Defino
Leandro Barbosa
Josh Howard
Jason Kapono
Luke Walton
Steve Blake
Keith Bogans
Matt Bonner
Mo Williams
Kyle Korver

so I was wrong..28th.

Did you mean fantasy draft? I'm also surprised to hear you say no offensive game. He is a good passer from his position, and his post moves backing players down have become very effective.

I'm curious where Perk's salary lands in this list. Probably pretty low. That would be a decent indicator of his market value, though some players, like Milicic, have contracts they aren't worthy of.

Eh...  It's just a troll / bait post.  Ignore it.  Anybody who thinks Brian Cook (2 ppg, 0.8 rpg) would be drafted before Perk is just trying to get under people's skin.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 08:53:32 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Stats wise, Perk is averaging 8 points, 8 rebounds, close to 2 blocks, and is shooting 56%.  He's also a very good and very physical defender, and he's cut his fouls way down.  He's a very effective center.   

(Those numbers, for instance, are better than Sam Dalembert's -- who is seen as a pretty good center -- and they're better than any big man taken in the 2003 draft other than Bosh, West, and Kaman.)

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 08:58:45 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Notable second rounders:

In no order:

Lebron James
Darko Milicic
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Dwayne Wade
Chris Kaman
Kirk Hinrich
T.J. Ford
Jarvis Hayes
Mickael Pietrus
Nick Collison
Luke Ridnour
David West
Sasha Pavlovic
Travis Outlaw
Brian Cook
Carlos Defino
Leandro Barbosa
Josh Howard
Jason Kapono
Luke Walton
Steve Blake
Keith Bogans
Matt Bonner
Mo Williams
Kyle Korver

so I was wrong..28th.

Eh...  It's just a troll / bait post.  Ignore it.  Anybody who thinks Brian Cook (2 ppg, 0.8 rpg) would be drafted before Perk is just trying to get under people's skin.

TP for saving me the trouble, there's a whole lot to question there in the 15-27 group.

I think based on what we now know, perk goes 15thish out of that group
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 04:27:46 PM »

Offline mikeford

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 18
Stats wise, Perk is averaging 8 points, 8 rebounds, close to 2 blocks, and is shooting 56%.  He's also a very good and very physical defender, and he's cut his fouls way down.  He's a very effective center.   

(Those numbers, for instance, are better than Sam Dalembert's -- who is seen as a pretty good center -- and they're better than any big man taken in the 2003 draft other than Bosh, West, and Kaman.)

Wait, people think Sam Dalembert is pretty good?  :o

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 04:38:37 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Here is how I think the top 15 would go, if the draft happened today. 

1) Lebron James
2) Dwayne Wade
3) Chris Bosh
4) Carmelo Anthony
5) Chris Kaman
6) David West
7) Josh Howard
8) T.J. Ford
9) Kendrick Perkins
10) Kirk Hinrich
11) Mickael Pietrus
12) Mo Williams