Author Topic: Where is PP's intensity?  (Read 9056 times)

Where is PP's intensity?
« on: December 07, 2008, 10:48:30 PM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 13
Let me start by saying that I am SO HAPPY for the winning streak right now and probably shouldn't even be bringing up the negatives at the moment, but does it seem like Paul Pierce is playing in slow motion? 

I don't want to be that guy who criticizes the team while they are on such a roll right now, but it's been quite apparent that Pierce is not playing up to his customary standards. He did hit a clutch shot tonight to force OT, but he was flat for most of the game. Is it that he's just deferring to Ray Allen because Ray is on fire right now, or is it because Pierce is in some sort of pain?  He doesn't look as quick as he did earlier in the season when said he lost 9-10 lbs. In fact, he looks pretty slow when he makes his moves.  He's settling for jump shots, which have been pretty flat lately, and he's not hustling for rebounds anymore.  He also just stands around watching plays develop a lot of the time. I guess he's playing well within the team concept (he had 8 assists tonight), which has been great since they have been winning, but he just doesn't seem like last season's Finals MVP.  He actually looks rather ordinary.  Don't get me wrong, if the Celtics keep winning with Pierce playing the way he is, then I'll be fine with that.  I'm just concerned because Pierce has always been my favorite player and I don't want to see his skills slip quite yet. 

Re: Where is PP's intensity?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 10:52:02 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
this is a joke, right?

does bobby knight need to do his "game face" demonstration?

pierce is fine...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 10:57:22 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
It's our bench that worries me - Davis and Scalabrine. PP will be fine. I think he is actually a bit more explosive this year then last and is committed to winning. The fact that he looks to set people up alot (8 assists tonight) doesn't really bug me.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 10:58:56 PM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
This is not a joke....

If you watched the game tonight, he stood around the 3 point line most of the time.  He did swing the ball around, hence the 8 assists, but whenever someone was in trouble, he just kept standing.  He should be moving towards the ball, especially when someone needs help after picking up their dribble.  His standing around may be due to the plays that Doc calls, which is fine if that is the case, but if he's just not moving because he's tired, then I'm not sure that is ok.   Also, have you seen his first step in the past few games?   I haven't because he doesn't seem to have it right now.  Maybe he's just tired - I don't know.  I do know though that he's shooting 39.7% right now.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 11:01:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
on defense...

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 11:01:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'm sort of disappointed also at Pierce tonight.  Yeah he got us a savior 3 but it didn't have to come to that

Granger was killing him on defense.

seriously i think something could be wrong with pierce

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 11:01:58 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i believe pierce is making a concerted effort to get his teammates more involved this season...he's passing up shots he normally takes.

that's the only difference i see...and i've waited years for pierce to do this.  so what you (newguy) see as a negative, i only believe will make this team that much better.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 11:05:59 PM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
i believe pierce is making a concerted effort to get his teammates more involved this season...he's passing up shots he normally takes.

that's the only difference i see...and i've waited years for pierce to do this.  so what you (newguy) see as a negative, i only believe will make this team that much better.

I hope this is the case.  If that's what's he's doing, I'm totally for it.  It's just that his assists are down too.  As I said, if the team keeps winning like this, then he's doing something right.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 11:13:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It's just that his assists are down too.  As I said, if the team keeps winning like this, then he's doing something right.

Well, I think his assists being down is directly connected to his allowing his teammates to do more.  Rondo has stepped up in the last few weeks and took control of the offense, which has taken the ball out of Pierce's hands.  Its not a bad thing.

Honestly, I think this is just a combination of things.  I wouldnt be surprised if he is banged up, but really I think he just is trying to "pick his spots".  Even though he has not been great over the last couple of weeks, he has come up big every single time the team has needed him to.  Otherwise, he seems to have concentrated on defense.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 11:30:33 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Earlier this year he was making MVP noise because of a couple of games were he carried us. Mostly its the ebb and flow of the season. KG didn't shoot well for a bit. Now he's back up to 50%

What makes this team special is the balance that three "number one" options on offense combined with defensive effort. I will be worried if and when we start losing and he starts forcing it more and still can't get it done efficiently.

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 11:34:04 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I think the biggest problem with Paul right now is that he's settling too much for jumpers.  He needs to attack the rim more because that is his biggest strength.

I do not think this is from a lack of intensity.  It might be because he is banged up.  He's been defending and rebounding and doing little things all over the place.  He's pumping his fist, pumping up his team, pumping up the crowd.  He's playing with his normal amount of intensity.  There's no way with KG on this team that he is going to start slacking off in the middle of the season.

The guy has hit every big shot we have needed this year.  His numbers are now but I believe he is still as valuable as ever because of his all around game and presence on the court.  His name alone is still getting him double teamed, which opens up the court for everyone else.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 12:25:03 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think the biggest problem with Paul right now is that he's settling too much for jumpers.  He needs to attack the rim more because that is his biggest strength.

I do not think this is from a lack of intensity.  It might be because he is banged up.  He's been defending and rebounding and doing little things all over the place.  He's pumping his fist, pumping up his team, pumping up the crowd.  He's playing with his normal amount of intensity.  There's no way with KG on this team that he is going to start slacking off in the middle of the season.

The guy has hit every big shot we have needed this year.  His numbers are now but I believe he is still as valuable as ever because of his all around game and presence on the court.  His name alone is still getting him double teamed, which opens up the court for everyone else.

Is Paul really being less aggressive now?   He is averaging 7.8 FTA per game this year verses 6.1 FTA last year.  I think it's simply his shooting is a little off.   Didn't he mention he hurt his wrist recently?  He could be just a little banged up that is affecting his shooting but it's not something I'm too concerned with right now. 

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 02:30:46 AM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

He made that concerted effort last season, with great success as well... and he wasn't shooting under 40% for such a long period, he played better D, he had more rebounds and assists, too!! I understand, now that Ray Allen is on a roll, he should be taking more shots than last year!! And Rondo is setting these shots,having the ball in his hands for much more time, rebounding, penetrating, etc.... but it's not an excuse for Pierce being slow off the dribble, shooting so bad and stuff... In his first 8-9 games, I was the first to claim that he is more explosive than last year, he seemed to be so fresh(remember the crossover on Lebron at the premiere)!! But in this 12W streak we run, he has been absent, sorry to tell you that... At first it was on the offensive end, in the last 2-3 games he is absent at both ends! We are extremely lucky that Ray and Rondo have been exceptional lately... I see Paul, recognizing his shooting slump, he is shooting as many shots as needed to gain some rhythm while not harming the team! I'm happy he doesn't force them, but, even taking open shots, he is not dropping most of them! Especially from the 3PT line, his shooting has been...off-range, I don't wanna call it awful!

I have no problem if the team keeps winning games, the goal is the wins and the home court advantage after all!! But, talking about Pierce specifically, let me believe that it's not him playing like that(unselfishly as you consider) the reason why we win!! It's Ray Allen being huge, it's Rondo coming up big(today he was not that good but it's just one game), it's KG being KG, it's Perk improving his game significantly! It's not Paul Pierce, simply! Tell me a part of his play which has been good lately and I will accept it!
You'll say he will get better and step up! OK, the thing is that 10 out of 12 last games being mediocre is not sth to be worried about yet, but sth to look over?? yes, for sure...

Anyway, I don't get it as a matter of lacking intensity! I get it as an extended slump either it is caused by an injury or not, and I don't know which of these two cases would make me more concerned about...

I know, I'm a little harsh but wins make people complacent!! We shouldn't be... It's not the end of the world, but it ain't sth good either! In my opinion, Pierce is not taking less attempts by choice, he just recognizes that he's on a slump, that Allen is on fire, that Rondo is more in tune with Ray and Kevin, so he is attacking less for team's sake!! That's pretty mature from him and that's what he has to do, but I expect much more from an all-star player like PP! It's OK till now, it was a lot of fun, but c'mon, he needs to find his range someday! He can't quit shooting, "if you quit it, it quits you"(if I said that right)!! If the problem is the sprained hand, give him some days off, at least he will be better and ready when he comes back...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 02:58:20 AM by albas89 »
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 05:39:54 AM »

Offline Binky-King

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

He's not really settling most of the time.

You think attacking the rim is his biggest strength well so do other teams. Teams are shifting their defense to whatever side Pierce isolated on.

Where Paul needs to improve is his play making, recognition of defenses & his shot when he does get one-on-ones.

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 07:08:39 AM »

Offline I Am A Boston Celtic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
The Truth is fine.

If PP was slacking off in any facets of the game that were letting down the team, KG would be the first to let him know about it.

He's playing himself into a different role, he seems quite happy to let Ray Allen go nuts night in, night out.

Then again when we need him to he'll step up and hit a clutch for us, like he did tonight.

We're 20-2, our team is looking so strong @ the moment.

Lets just prepare ourselves to raise banner number 18.