Author Topic: To retire 5 in honor of Kevin Garnett  (Read 9400 times)

Re: To retire 5 in honor of Kevin Garnett
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2008, 10:45:03 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Without 5 there is no 17. He definitely should have his number retired.

That means Ray Allen should get his number retired. Posey, also. Along with Rondo and Perk. Garnett didn't win no. 17 himself, ya know.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2008, 10:48:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

True, so at least the Heat had a reason to do this... but the Hornets retiring Maravich's jersey?? It makes no sense...

The Heat retired Jordan's number much in the same way MLB retired Jackie Robinson's, or the NHL retired Gretzky's.

New Orleans (the Hornets) retired Maravich's number because he was a big star in the city, even though he never played for their franchise (although he did play for the New Orleans Jazz.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2008, 11:23:28 PM »

Offline WayneKreklow

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Wouldn't DJ be a fair comparison for KG to get his number retired?

Both were experienced veterans who had performed for years at an all-star level, were strong defenders, respected (but not necessarily well-liked) by their peers and then came to Boston and put us over the top.

DJ played for 7 years and hoisted a couple banners. The relatively same parameters should apply to KG

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2008, 01:22:24 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18

That means Ray Allen should get his number retired. Posey, also. Along with Rondo and Perk. Garnett didn't win no. 17 himself, ya know.
Let's not kid ourselves, Garnett is the main reason why we won 17.

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2008, 01:45:22 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

That means Ray Allen should get his number retired.

My friend and I have discussed before whether Garnett should have his # retired or not.  Obviously it depends on how he plays out the rest of his career, but I'd say it looks probable that he will favorably enough to have his # retired.  My friend claims that 'if Garnett does, than Ray should too.'  I disagree by the logic of:

Let's not kid ourselves, Garnett is the main reason why we won 17.

I can't really provide any real argument other than this, but I feel it doesnt have much substance.  Any other thoughts?  (Hell of a game tonight though Ray!)
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2008, 09:55:22 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Using the one season logic, 5 should have already been retired.  We wouldn't have won in '86 without Bill Walton.

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
I think there's a difference between "wouldn't have won a title without" and "primary contributor to a title".  In general, you can make the argument that any rotation-level player that contributes positively would fit into the first category.  But that's different than being a main guy on a championship team, which is what separates KG's efforts last year from the Bill Waltons (Celtics version) or even Dennis Johnsons of the world.

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2008, 05:50:06 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Wouldn't DJ be a fair comparison for KG to get his number retired?

Both were experienced veterans who had performed for years at an all-star level, were strong defenders, respected (but not necessarily well-liked) by their peers and then came to Boston and put us over the top.

DJ played for 7 years and hoisted a couple banners. The relatively same parameters should apply to KG

thats what i was getting to in my OP.

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2008, 05:52:26 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
Using the one season logic, 5 should have already been retired.  We wouldn't have won in '86 without Bill Walton.

i dont think anyone here is using a one season logic, he AT LEAST has to play out his contract, giving us 5 years.

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2008, 02:33:35 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
By the time he retires he will certainly get it done. KG is also the type that could hang on till 40 like Parish, IMHO. I could see him signing a low money two or three year contract depending on our team status. Guys with his body type can be very effective in their later years. I think for most athletes its weight that ends your career early.

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2008, 03:27:44 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
It looks like a lot of people are going to disagree with me here, but I have to say this. I think KG has already done enough to have his number retired.

Based on what's up there, I don't think there's any specific requirement for what a player has to do, it goes on a case-by-case basis. There's already too many retired, and there's no specific criteria, it used to just be Red's assessment. While there's a lot of talk about how many years you have to play, what you have to accomplish, etc., those criteria are all made up by the individual posters. And any criteria that results in Jim Loscutoff and Don Nelson having their numbers retired but requiring more from Garnett quite frankly should not be applied. Those guys were great contributors and I take nothing away from them, but people seem to be missing the forest for the trees. KG is on a level above most Celtics.

To me, it comes down to this: until last year, there had only been five guys in Celtics history to be the best player on a Celtics championship team - Bob Cousy, Bill Russell, John Havlicek, Dave Cowens and Larry Bird. After last year, we have a sixth - Kevin Garnett. Now, other guys who were never the best player are probably more deserving and belong higher on the list of all time Celtics than KG due to the sheer volume of titles they won - i.e., Tommy, Sam Jones - or because of years of great service with some championships won - i.e., McHale, Chief, Pierce, Jo Jo. But everybody's lumping KG in like he's just a guy who like many other Celtics won a title and that's ridiculous.

The comparisons to guys like Bill Walton and Dennis Johnson are inappropriate because as much as I love those guys, you're talking about a different caliber player, and a different level of contribution to the team when you switch from DJ and Walton to KG. Walton was not even one of the four best players on his lone Celtics championship team. He'd be comparable to Posey and does anybody really think KG and Posey should be judged by the same criteria? DJ (my alltime favorite Celtic, by the way) was one of the top four, maybe top three, players on two Celtics championship teams, but he was never close to being the best player on a Celtics champion. Allen (and even Rondo) would be a good comparison there - another title and a few more years of service, retiring as a Celtic, and they'd be in line. But does everybody think that Allen and Rondo gave the same thing to the Celtics team, organization and fans last year that Garnett did?

KG goes beyond those guys and is in the company of only five other men in Celtics history - Cooz, Russell, Hondo, Cowens, Bird. Pierce was Finals MVP but KG was the Celtics' MVP and the number one reason we won 66 games and raised our 17th banner after a 22 year drought. He was the man who came in, changed the team culture and made the Celtics relevant again. He did things for this team and franchise that dozens of guys whose numbers are retired never did. His contribution even just for one year was and is enough for me.

Now, I expect him to do more here, so I expect everybody will agree within a couple of seasons at most that this is a moot conversation. And yes, he could definitely change my opinion negatively if, somehow, he got in a bitter dispute with the team and pulled a Vince Carter on us. But honestly, that's never gonna happen. I expect more wins, All-Star games, honors and even titles, but if KG just played out the rest of his career (or just the rest of his contract even if he goes elsewhere afterward) in green, that title last year would be enough for me to retire his number regardless of how good or bad the team was over the next few seasons.

What's strange to me is that I respect the views of almost every poster on here (I'm not around much anymore so I don't know all the new guys), but I don't understand all the requirements being set forth. To me, this isn't even that close an argument.

Now, if there were only a dozen or so numbers retired, I'd understand the arguments that KG needs to do more to have his number in the rafters. But we have always had an overly permissive attitude toward retiring numbers. Why would that change for one of the six guys in history to be the best player on a Celtics championship team?
Go Celtics.

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2008, 03:31:48 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Call me crazy, but I think you can pencil in KG's number to be retired in Boston as of right now. He changed the entire culture of the organization, attracted veterans to join the team, and delivered a championship in his first season with the green team. Obviously a repeat would do wonders for his #5 being retired, but I think he'll 100% be up there no matter what happens. Just my 2 cents.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2008, 04:48:52 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
Call me crazy, but I think you can pencil in KG's number to be retired in Boston as of right now. He changed the entire culture of the organization, attracted veterans to join the team, and delivered a championship in his first season with the green team. Obviously a repeat would do wonders for his #5 being retired, but I think he'll 100% be up there no matter what happens. Just my 2 cents.

defenity, unless he turns into THE WORST celtics star ever, he'd have to ask for a trade, hold out for more money, stop playing defense, be injury prone, date madonna, talke bad about the fans.... etc. which KG will NEVER do.