Author Topic: Patrick O'bryant  (Read 27357 times)

Re: Patrick O'bryant
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2008, 08:03:10 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If nothing else, his Chicago fourth quarter a couple of weeks ago gave me a great coaching tool.

I can show that to my kids - and I intend to today as practice opens - and tell them, "Effort like this will get you benched."
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2008, 09:52:58 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I still think O'Blount has the physical tools to be a good player- length, timing, impressive shooting touch.  But I have serious doubts about his mental strength.  I see why Ainge gave him a shot and why he was drafted so high, but unless he gets a labotomy he will never amount to much.

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2008, 10:09:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I still think O'Blount has the physical tools to be a good player- length, timing, impressive shooting touch.  But I have serious doubts about his mental strength.  I see why Ainge gave him a shot and why he was drafted so high, but unless he gets a labotomy he will never amount to much.

And he will join the long, long, long list of players with million dollar bodies but $5 dollar brains and million dollar talent and $5 hearts.

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2008, 11:41:52 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
hey...look at the bright side: at least M.L. Carr's not in charge.  He would have given O'Blount a 7 year contract worth around 45 million.

anyone remember those deals he handed out to pervis ellison (6 years) and eric montross (wasn't that one 11 years?) and greg minor (6 years).  i think dana barros got one of those really long contracts as well.

so it could be worse...

(anyone else counting down the months left on scalaboob's contract?).
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2008, 06:33:41 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Meh. Greg Minor could play - when he wasn't hurt. :P

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2008, 06:42:51 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
hey...look at the bright side: at least M.L. Carr's not in charge.  He would have given O'Blount a 7 year contract worth around 45 million.

anyone remember those deals he handed out to pervis ellison (6 years) and eric montross (wasn't that one 11 years?) and greg minor (6 years).  i think dana barros got one of those really long contracts as well.

so it could be worse...

(anyone else counting down the months left on scalaboob's contract?).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 06:54:42 PM by housecall »

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2008, 06:55:47 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
He has no place on this roster and as soon as something good is made available he will make way.

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2008, 07:47:56 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Might get some minutes tomorrow with KG out.

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2008, 07:56:37 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Might get some minutes tomorrow with KG out.

He might have anyways, it is the knicks.

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2008, 10:45:20 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
he's starting to make me miss blount...
He's starting to make me miss Rick Robey and Greg Kite.

You do realize he's barely played 10 minutes this whole season right?

...and you do realize that the coaches are making assessments based upon his effort in practice and individual workouts and whether or not he stays late and arrives early.

they're not grading him based upon games played...he can't get into the games because doc has called him out on his lack of effort.

...and you do realize the two posters I quoted probably aren't those two coaches. judging a 22 year old as worst then Mark Blount or Richard Robey off little news snippets, and barely ten minutes of play seems a bit excessive.
Agreed. TP.

Ultimately we can't determine for sure what kind of coaching tactics they're using. Are they willing to stop practice because Pat is out of place and doesn't know the schemes entirely? Is he even getting PT with a group that knows the schemes? These questions just aren't being answered. Factor in his treatment at Golden State and you see why he would be less motivated to "show up early and stay until late." What's the use of doing so if he's not even getting meaningful minutes in at practice?

The measuring stick for him right now should be the preseason. If he doesn't pan out I'll blame it on the coaching staff, not O'Bryant.

If he fails it's his fault. All I'm saying is it's a bit early to call him a complete failure, and assume he's not getting PT because he's lazy. I think he's just figuring out the type of effort Doc wants.

Doc likes guys who try to get involved in every play, and I don't think that's POB(right now). The guys that fit that bill are guys like Powe, Rondo, T.Allen, and the majority of the long gone young guys who succeeded under Doc (players like Delonte, and Gomes). BBD isn't or wasn't that type of player either, but that doesn't mean he's lazy. BBD was like POB in that his approach was to watch the game, and try to go with the flow, instead of going after it every play.

I took the "Patrick Speed and Celtic Speed" comment as Doc saying Pat needs to try harder. There's a difference between not trying hard enough, and needing to try harder, in my humble opinion. POB is just learning what type of intensity/energy he needs to bring to earn minutes.

Doc is trying to change POB from the guy who watches the ball roll out of bounds to the guy who dives for it. That's the best way I can sum up how I see it. Most players in the NBA are the guys who watch it roll out of bounds, but that doesn't mean there lazy. The Celtics just happen to have a roster full of guys who dive for it, and Doc's letting POB know he's going to have to do the same to get any PT.

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2008, 10:46:32 PM »

Offline albert

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • ubuntu.

And he will join the long, long, long list of players with million dollar bodies but $5 dollar brains and million dollar talent and $5 hearts.
Like I was saying before, no need to be so down on the kid yet. If we use the preseason as the measuring stick where he was getting quasi-meaningful minutes, you'd be surprised as to how much he's actually trying vs. how you perceive he's actually trying.

Doc's comments have been skewed to an unwarranted degree...
Bleed Green. What does it mean?

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2008, 10:57:44 PM »

Offline albert

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • ubuntu.
...and you do realize the two posters I quoted probably aren't those two coaches. judging a 22 year old as worst then Mark Blount or Richard Robey off little news snippets, and barely ten minutes of play seems a bit excessive.
Agreed. TP.

Ultimately we can't determine for sure what kind of coaching tactics they're using. Are they willing to stop practice because Pat is out of place and doesn't know the schemes entirely? Is he even getting PT with a group that knows the schemes? These questions just aren't being answered. Factor in his treatment at Golden State and you see why he would be less motivated to "show up early and stay until late." What's the use of doing so if he's not even getting meaningful minutes in at practice?

The measuring stick for him right now should be the preseason. If he doesn't pan out I'll blame it on the coaching staff, not O'Bryant.

If he fails it's his fault. All I'm saying is it's a bit early to call him a complete failure, and assume he's not getting PT because he's lazy. I think he's just figuring out the type of effort Doc wants.

Doc likes guys who try to get involved in every play, and I don't think that's POB(right now). The guys that fit that bill are guys like Powe, Rondo, T.Allen, and the majority of the long gone young guys who succeeded under Doc (players like Delonte, and Gomes). BBD isn't or wasn't that type of player either, but that doesn't mean he's lazy. BBD was like POB in that his approach was to watch the game, and try to go with the flow, instead of going after it every play.

I took the "Patrick Speed and Celtic Speed" comment as Doc saying Pat needs to try harder. There's a difference between not trying hard enough, and needing to try harder, in my humble opinion. POB is just learning what type of intensity/energy he needs to bring to earn minutes.

Doc is trying to change POB from the guy who watches the ball roll out of bounds to the guy who dives for it. That's the best way I can sum up how I see it. Most players in the NBA are the guys who watch it roll out of bounds, but that doesn't mean there lazy. The Celtics just happen to have a roster full of guys who dive for it, and Doc's letting POB know he's going to have to do the same to get any PT.
You bring up a point I've been trying to make repeatedly here, it's this. What I've been trying to do here is get people not to blame either/or but on the collective efforts of everyone involved... a case-by-case basis. In scholarly terms, if you will, this would be referred to as a "case study."

Let me make the comparison with Gerald, why didn't he pan out for us vs. why is he contributing somewhat for Dallas? Well the situation there vs here was different. There he got more veterans, his attitude going into it was different, the coaching staff could devote more attention to him and he would listen better, the fans don't expect him to become a superstar, etc. Here he didn't have that as much of that kind of situation and that's why he wasn't able to pan out.

So applying this rubric to Pat would mean that again, it's part of the coaching staff's fault. As I said before, he's fast enough when he gets going. The reason why he isn't getting time IMO is not because he's not trying hard enough but because the staff might have evaluated him somewhat incorrectly. Example #1: raw speed. He's faster and more athletic than Perk, but needs to work on his first step. Therefore, he needs to work on his explosiveness... are they saying this to him? Maybe not. Example #2: Defensive awareness. We already know he can block shots, but the problems I saw in the preseason games was that he didn't know where to go on either offense or defense.. the run-and-gun mentality basically carried over. Is this a problem because he doesn't know the sets well enough or because he doesn't want to listen? I'd like to think the former. So let him work on the sets in practice, do everything you can to familiarize him with them. Is the staff doing this? Maybe, maybe not. I'm inclined to think they're not.

So, in summary, it's not "yes or no" but "case-by-case."

---
grammar edit.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:07:25 PM by albert »
Bleed Green. What does it mean?

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2008, 07:57:47 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Dallas has taken a nose dive in the standings with GG playing. He is "contributing" the way he "contributed" for us in our 24 win season. <g> I have considerably more faith in our coaching staff.

However it's not so bad for POB. All the coaching staff is saying is that he can't beat out BBD. Contrary to the wishes of so many fans teams just do not run 11 and 12 man rotations. Your SHOULD have some perfectly useful (perhaps even good) players on your bench.

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2008, 08:31:17 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Dallas has taken a nose dive in the standings with GG playing. He is "contributing" the way he "contributed" for us in our 24 win season.

now, now, now...you can't speak about the Leaping Messiah like that!!  Didn't you get that memo??  That's blasphemy!! :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2008, 09:20:48 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
so should we also blame golden state's coaching staff?  I think we have a great coaching staff and all of our young players, even 2nd rnd picks, show excellent development.