Author Topic: Could Perk Be an All Star Too?  (Read 5574 times)

Re: Could Perk Be an All Star Too?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 03:30:28 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
If wonder if Celtics starting 5 played together in the All-Star game if they would start running all their plays. That would be pretty amusing to Celtics fan especially. They'd probably dominate, too.

Except Doc isn't eligible to coach this year, right?  I don't believe you can coach two straight years.

Can anyone verify that one?

(not that they couldn't call their own plays)

I can't verify that, but I thought it was the coach with the best record by the break.

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 03:32:46 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I've thought the same thing.

Big Z's pretty good, as is Al Horford.  Those two (as well as Howard, of course) are the other 5s that you think about as being Perk's competition for a berth.  Neither is THAT much better than Perk (if at all).  Consider, too, that Perk's role on this team is inherently limited.  He benefits a great deal from all the great passes he gets from KG and Rondo, but he also has gotten a lot better about getting himself in the right position to receive those passes and then to finish.  He might get a few more touches to work down low were he playing with lesser players.

For what THIS team needs, I'm not sure who out there in the East, other that Howard, would make us much better.  

Now, drop Perk in the Western conference, and he's behind a whole host of players.  In the East, though, you can certainly argue that he's anywhere from the second- to fourth-best C.  

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 03:34:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
They won't give the Celtics 5 all-stars. Especially to a player like Perk and his numbers. He has a decent case for inclusion but I don't think they'll give it to him.

They should pick Howard and Big Z. I'm guessing Horford or Bogut is next in line. Dalembert would have a shot if he was playing proper minutes.

If wonder if Celtics starting 5 played together in the All-Star game if they would start running all their plays. That would be pretty amusing to Celtics fan especially. They'd probably dominate, too.

Except Doc isn't eligible to coach this year, right?  I don't believe you can coach two straight years.

I can't verify that, but I thought it was the coach with the best record by the break.

Yes, you're right, Doc cannot coach the All-Star team two years in a row. It'll go to the team with the second best record which will be either Cleveland or Orlando (c'mon Orlando!).

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 04:00:26 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

Wikipedia says that the same coach cannot coach the All-Star team 2 years in a row. It's called the "Riley Rule".

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 04:07:55 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Oh the outrage that this would cause around the league.

The word I most often see associated with Perk on other boards or other blogs seems to be "scrub".

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 04:46:46 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
I think that he could one day as an Antonio Davis type. Really, Perkins has the abilities to be a 10 pt / 10 reb / 2 blk a game guy for the next 10 years. It's his awareness and savvyness to not be in foul trouble and maintain a certain level of conditioning that'll determine the extent to which he continues to grow. Every year I see improvement in Perkins. I expect him to be in one one day, if not a serious player.

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 05:29:29 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I think that he could one day as an Antonio Davis type. Really, Perkins has the abilities to be a 10 pt / 10 reb / 2 blk a game guy for the next 10 years. It's his awareness and savvyness to not be in foul trouble and maintain a certain level of conditioning that'll determine the extent to which he continues to grow. Every year I see improvement in Perkins. I expect him to be in one one day, if not a serious player.
The foul trouble has always hampered him, but he's been better this year.

His conditioning and quickness on the defensive end are the two things that have always impressed me the most about Perk. He seems never to run out of energy, especially on defense, and is able to hedge and then rotate back into the defense as well as anyone in the league (better than anyone who is as big as him).

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 05:54:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Oh the outrage that this would cause around the league.

The word I most often see associated with Perk on other boards or other blogs seems to be "scrub".

people call rondo and pierce that too. Its called jealousy  :).

only KG (because he's KG) and ray (because everyone sees that he's a great guy) avoid the "that guys a scrub!!!" treatment by other fans. and heck, ive even seen ray get it too "ray allen is such a scrub, all he can do is shoot three's" on FL's "comments from the other side" board.

other scrubs include leon, baby, house, posey (last year) and TA.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 06:01:04 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
It's been touched on already, but the only reason this approaches a legitimate discussion is testament to how few great Centers are in the league and not how great Perk is.

Still, he should be in the conversation for the #2, but he can't make it if only because I don't think the league would let all 5 of any team's starters go to the all star game, let alone the Celtics'.

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 11:59:06 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Perk will work hard and be the best center he can be. I do not expect him to be selected this year. He does take advantage of his opportunities to score and rebound.

The Best EC Centers are: Dwight Howard, Z, Andrew Bogut, Emeka Okafor, Al Horford

In reality, the Old school centers of yesteryear are a dying breed. Really a good lineup has 2 PF or Bigmen, a SF (tall and quick), a SG (Shooter or Dribble Driver), and a PG (team QB). A good rotation has 4 Bigmen,  3 SG/SF, and 2 PG..... The Celtics have 4 Bigmen (KG, Perk, Powe, Scal/BBD); Pierce, RA, TA, House; Rondo and now Gabe Pruitt who is coming on.

I'd say we are in pretty good shape.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.