Poll

if we could only sign one of these guys with the mid level exception, who would you prefer?

Dewayne Dedmon
4 (8.7%)
Nerlens Noel
4 (8.7%)
Trevor Booker
1 (2.2%)
Brook Lopez
6 (13%)
Tyreke Evans
12 (26.1%)
JJ Redick
6 (13%)
Rajon Rondo
4 (8.7%)
Wayne Ellington
0 (0%)
Michael Beasley
1 (2.2%)
Derrick Favors
8 (17.4%)
Fred Van Fleet
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Favorite MLE Candiate?  (Read 5898 times)

Favorite MLE Candiate?
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:27:10 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I'm going with Brook Lopez. Of course he's fragile and possibly the worst rebounding center of the past generation, but you can't deny he would be an effective offensive weapon off the bench. Defends the rim better than most think too.

Got a feeling Nerlens may take this one...Celtics fans are still enamored with the guy for some reason..

Re: Favorite MLE Candiate?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 10:31:53 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
We will be foregoing the MLE this year.  People should not get their hopes up.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 10:33:03 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Brook Lopez would be a no-brainer, but I'm not sure he would be affordable in any way.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 10:38:13 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell

what makes you say that?

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 10:43:26 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

what makes you say that?

I think Marcus Smart will be deemed more important than any player signable via the MLE, and because we have to leave salary space to match an offer sheet, we will miss out on the MLE market (however, doing so will likely bring down Smart’s price to something that provides better value).

The only player to think about is Nerlens, because no team should give him any kind of money resembling the MLE, and he may be willing to take 1-year at the minimum to prove his value with the right situation.  It’s not impossible to believe Boston could be that situation, given their history of raising the value of other players in the past, and Nerlens’ Boston roots.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 10:48:01 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell

what makes you say that?

I think Marcus Smart will be deemed more important than any player signable via the MLE, and because we have to leave salary space to match an offer sheet, we will miss out on the MLE market (however, doing so will likely bring down Smart’s price to something that provides better value).

The only player to think about is Nerlens, because no team should give him any kind of money resembling the MLE, and he may be willing to take 1-year at the minimum to prove his value with the right situation.  It’s not impossible to believe Boston could be that situation, given their history of raising the value of other players in the past, and Nerlens’ Boston roots.

Thanks for clearing up the cap situation.

Personally, I think the Celtics should be bracing themselves to part ways with Smart. The guy is just not that good. Tough to justify paying a guy over $12 mill a season when he's consistently having nights where he's shooting like 1-10, regardless of how many impressive defensive plays he makes.

There's 4 guys on the list i'd rather have than Smart (Lopez, Evans, Favors, Redick), especially if we'd only have to pay them half as much.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
Brook Lopez would be a no-brainer, but I'm not sure he would be affordable in any way.

May take a discount for the chance to win a ring?

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 10:56:31 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

what makes you say that?

i agree with the notion that noel may be humbled and take the opportunity here. A sales pitch by brad will do wonders. That's of course if we have any interest in he first place

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 10:58:16 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If we don't re-sign Smart, Tyreke Evans.

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 11:00:12 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

what makes you say that?

So everyone was banking on us using the Mid-level to re-sign Baynes..

How does he fit in to the picture? Non-bird?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 11:01:10 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell

what makes you say that?

How does he fit in to the picture?

I like Baynes but let's not pretend he's worth the MLE...especially with Theis back healthy and absorbing a lot of his minutes.

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 11:04:46 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I really like Favors
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 11:05:27 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

what makes you say that?

I like Baynes but let's not pretend he's worth the MLE...especially with Theis back healthy and absorbing a
Who's guarding Embiid? Not Theis.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:12:14 AM by footey »

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 11:11:26 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

what makes you say that?

He doesn’t unless the team finds out about Smart very quickly.  And even then I’m not sure he does.

I know people like Baynes, but his best role seems to be as a starter playing reserve minutes.  But I find it tough to believe that (without a major trade) the starting lineup won’t be Irving-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Horford, which relegates Baynes to a bench role that doesn’t necessarily fit what we need from him.  Assuming we keep Smart and make no trades, the primary reserves are Smart, Rozier, Morris, and Theis.  That’s a solid 9-man rotation, with Ojeleye also deserving of regular minutes.  The MLE is a lot of money to spend on someone in the 8-10 spot of your rotation.  The rest of the minutes can be given to Yabusele and our 1st for developmental purposes, Bird and Nader can get Gino-time minutes, and that’s 14 guys right there.  That 15th spot either beings to someone on the minimum who gets a chance to earn his way into the back of the rotation (a la Larkin last year), or doesn’t get used as the team waits for the February buyout market.

If you want to keep Baynes, you need to hope that Ainge finds a new home for Morris, as that creates both the salary space and the room in the rotation.

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 11:14:29 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

what makes you say that?

He doesn’t unless the team finds out about Smart very quickly.  And even then I’m not sure he does.

I know people like Baynes, but his best role seems to be as a starter playing reserve minutes.  But I find it tough to believe that (without a major trade) the starting lineup won’t be Irving-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Horford, which relegates Baynes to a bench role that doesn’t necessarily fit what we need from him.  Assuming we keep Smart and make no trades, the primary reserves are Smart, Rozier, Morris, and Theis.  That’s a solid 9-man rotation, with Ojeleye also deserving of regular minutes.  The MLE is a lot of money to spend on someone in the 8-10 spot of your rotation.  The rest of the minutes can be given to Yabusele and our 1st for developmental purposes, Bird and Nader can get Gino-time minutes, and that’s 14 guys right there.  That 15th spot either beings to someone on the minimum who gets a chance to earn his way into the back of the rotation (a la Larkin last year), or doesn’t get used as the team waits for the February buyout market.

If you want to keep Baynes, you need to hope that Ainge finds a new home for Morris, as that creates both the salary space and the room in the rotation.

Then we will need to find someone with strength to handle big men like Embiid and Towns.  Horford can't handle them in long stints.  Yabusele will really have to step up to fill that role.  He has the mass and athleticism, but lacks experience and savvy.