Author Topic: Giddens goes to D league today !  (Read 8908 times)

Giddens goes to D league today !
« on: November 15, 2008, 02:24:43 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Just heard it on my car radio that JR has been sent to the (Utah Flash) D league team today.

Re: Giddens goes to D league today !
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 04:27:16 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I haven't seen or heard this elsewhere. Any confirmation?

Not that it matters, I'd be glad if he did go down there.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Yeah, it's official.  It's linked on the front page, via the Globe.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 04:37:21 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

Yeah, it's official.  It's linked on the front page, via the Globe.

So it is. Missed that.

It definitely makes sense, hopefully he can develop his game further down there and come back next year and help us the way we hoped he would have helped this year. He was behind Walker in pre-season and obviously still is.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 05:01:18 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Send Walker and Pruitt down there with him.  Pruitt to stay in shape since Rivers has him buried and Walker to get some humility to go with his talent.

Good move to get Giddens down there, anyway.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 05:09:03 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Send Walker and Pruitt down there with him.  Pruitt to stay in shape since Rivers has him buried and Walker to get some humility to go with his talent.

Walker needs the minutes to be sure. I think he goes in a short time to join Giddens. Pruitt needs to see a few minutes on the court IMO and should stay with the Celtics. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 05:49:49 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

Walker needs the minutes to be sure. I think he goes in a short time to join Giddens. Pruitt needs to see a few minutes on the court IMO and should stay with the Celtics. 8)
Maybe soon
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 05:56:41 PM by housecall »

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 07:50:23 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i hope he becomes trade fodder...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 01:43:21 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Maybe soon

scal was the first man off the bench last night. so maybe pruitts time is coming.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 07:43:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Maybe soon

unless, given rondo's shooting woes, the coaches are grooming scal to be the backup pg.  ;)

scal was the first man off the bench last night. so maybe pruitts time is coming.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 07:46:26 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/11/16/giddens_eager_for_d_league/

"I can stay here and work out all day and not be in the rotation," said Giddens Friday night, when he was inactive for the loss to the Nuggets. "Or I can go down there and make myself better so they'll want me anyway. I look at it as a positive.

"I work out hard every day. You feel like you're getting stronger and faster, but you don't get to go out there and apply it.

"Going down there to the D-League will give me an opportunity to apply it. It will make me a better player."

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 08:26:38 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
cool. he ain't playin .so for us fans at least now there will be something else to follow.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 12:11:38 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Not that I think this is a bad move, as he wasn't doing anything for Boston, but it's not going to help him get better.  JR Giddens spent 5 years in college, his skills are there.  He led the Mountain West in scoring and rebounds last year.  It's not like he has to polish his skills.  What he is lacking, for some reason (perhaps he's just not smart at all), is that he is lost in the Celtics offense.  Unless the Flash run the same sets as the Celtics (and perhaps they do), I just don't see his stint down there helping him out, unless he's lost so much confidence that he just needs to regain it.   

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 12:53:22 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
The Flash' first preseason game is this Saturday, so hopefully someone who lives out there will get to see the game and report back how he Giddens looked.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 01:51:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Pruitt will be playing before long.  Clearly Doc and Ainge like him, but Doc has always made a point (to great success) to not put young guys out there before they are ready.  I expect him to be joining the rotation in some form by January, if not sooner.

For Walker, I don't see how playing in the D-league against inferior competition will teach him humility.  I think it would be more likely boost his ego, since he would likely be one of the more dominant players down there.

And for the record, I actually think in general Walker is a very humble person.  From all I have heard and read about him, he is very down to earth off the court.  Of course he is perhaps a bit (or more than that) overconfident ON the court.  But I think the best way to rectify that is to have him sit on the bench, and have Pierce put him in his place in practice.

Anyways, I think this was a no-brainer with Giddens.  There was no chance he was playing up here, and he could certainly benefit from playing more.  Not to mention, he is the guy, who might be able to benefit from some off the floor humility that the D-league can provide.  Just to show him why he needs to work so hard to stay in the NBA.